The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-21-2014, 02:21 PM   #1
vannatta20

Best riding rear suspension set up.

I have a 68 C10 with rear coil suspension. It has 5 inch drop springs from ccp and they are soft as butter. If someone sits on the tail gate it will almost bottom out! Whats a good spring for handling that has a little drop to it? The front just has 2 and 1/2 drop from the lowering spindles. Also it seems I need Rear Shock Relocator from no limit. I already have no limits panhard bar kit installed. Would it be better to use lowering blocks?
vannatta20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 05:57 PM   #2
RRR18

Re: Best riding rear suspension set up.

I also have the rear CPP 5" springs in mine. Same result as you....pretty spongy. I'm gonna watch this thread and see what comes outta it. I've too been wondering about a stiffer spring with same amount of drop.?!

Follow on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/rtimes3c10/

Ryan
RRR18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 07:25 PM   #3
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Best riding rear suspension set up.

Get yourself some load bags. They are in my signature. They work great and you can adjust them for the right ride. Yes the No limit shock kit is a great addition as well. I have both and my 71 drives great.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:25 PM   #4
bluex

I have no first hand experience with this yet but I've done a lot of reading on it since I'm putting trailing arms under my 78. I saw a lot of people recommending to get the first 1.5-2" of drop from a block to keep the spring as long as possible for a better ride. So if you wanted a 5" drop then a 2" block an a 3" drop spring should yeild a better ride.

Again just something I've seen recommended over an over on this forum.....
bluex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 11:45 PM   #5
vannatta20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
Get yourself some load bags. They are in my signature. They work great and you can adjust them for the right ride. Yes the No limit shock kit is a great addition as well. I have both and my 71 drives great.
I have those bags actually installed. I need like a 3-4 inch drop spring to have it where i want it.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:06 PM   #6
Nola67

What spring and block is recomened? Ive read allot of the same posts saying to static drop them that way, but never any specific parts info... ive also heard.that pb trailing arms have 3" drop built in, so would those.with a.2" spring be ideal?
01 swb

Last edited by Nola67; 07-25-2014 at 08:07 PM. Reason: info
Nola67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 11:38 PM   #7
vannatta20

Yep I could use some part #s
Old 07-26-2014, 12:06 AM   #8
BossHogg69
motor exploder

You might also contacting GMC Paul's (board vendor) they do custom rear springs in a variety of rates. I have no idea what the spring rates are on the CPP springs, I tried to find out the spring rate of the 2" drop front springs I got from them and never got an answer, so I ordered my rear springs from GMC Paul's to make sure I got what I wanted.

1969 Chevy CST/10 stepside, DART Big M/TREMEC Magnum Extreme/3.73's w/Detroit Truetrac
1965 Chevy Bel Air Wagon (daily driver), 327/TH350,10 bolt w/3.08's
1961 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe, ZZ454/M21/9" rear w/3.50's & Detroit Truetrac
2005 GMC 1500 ccsb 2wd, 6.0L/4L65e/3.73 G80
2006 GMC 2500HD ccsb 4x4, DMax LBZ/Allison 6spd/4.56's w/Detroit TrueTrac

Use the SEARCH function on this forum - it is your friend!!
BossHogg69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 02:15 AM   #9
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Trailing arm rear suspension, relocated adjustable coilovers, or a good shock and a 7" bag.

Honestly, on the trailing arm rear, a good shock and a halfway decent spring rides better than prob 90% of the leaf spring trucks here.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 08:29 AM   #10
Andy4639
Old member

Wink Re: Best riding rear suspension set up.

I am one who doesn't like the rear blocks. If u do run them make sure the wheel is big enough so that the u bolts don't stick below the wheel. Blocks in my opinion are for a cheap lowering kit.
Getting a good spring is the key. The No limit shock relocator kit are some one elses kit is a must have. Having the shock perform as they are intended to do is key also.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:28 PM   #11
vannatta20

Well I have the shock relocater kit coming in from no limit. Can my stock shocks be used? They are new. I will eventually put bilstein shocks on all 4 corners. I noticed my pan hard par was contacting the rear exhaust and would limit travel. That is now fixed.
Old 07-27-2014, 02:36 PM   #12
Malamute

My plan on the advice of a few people I've talked to is to go with ECE springs as they aren't near as spongy.

I already have the CPP 4 wheel disk conversion so I'd like to stick with their DS and other components. If you're willing to drop a few bucks on the ECE springs it may solve the sagging rear.
Malamute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 11:12 PM   #13
68c10airstream

Hi Vannatta20, my 68 c10 is equipped with 2 1/2" dropped spindles in front, and 4" ECE brand coils in the rear. I have hauled 1,000lbs many times doing home improvements projects and on rare occassions it bottoms out. The best changes i made in the rear for a better controlled ride were, shock relocaters, and installing a porterbuilt panhard bar. I have been using monroe sensa-trac shocks and can say they work pretty good. Before the changes with the 4" lower springs already installed the rear would bob up and down too much, but rides great now. Good luck, Brian Fuller
68c10airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 11:06 AM   #14
chevyrestoguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vannatta20 View Post
Well I have the shock relocater kit coming in from no limit. Can my stock shocks be used? They are new. I will eventually put bilstein shocks on all 4 corners. I noticed my pan hard par was contacting the rear exhaust and would limit travel. That is now fixed.
I think you're going to be surprised at how much of a difference the shock relocators make. Right now, your shocks are at such an angle that they aren't very effective. Standing the shocks back up to the right angle will make a big difference on ride and handling.

My build threads:
'55 Chevy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=247512

'64 C-20: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=446527
chevyrestoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 10:09 PM   #15
65Gregg

Quote:
I don't think your stock shocks will work, if I recall the stock shocks are shorter than the ones that No Limit uses. I'll try to get the # off of mine over the weekend which will allow you to cross reference.

Blue long bed
White TBSS
61 Impala
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” Mark Twain
65Gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 11:20 PM   #16
JonnyC10
Account Suspended

I hope I don't run into this; I have a cpp big slam kit with 2.5/4" drop on the way. Also ordered the shock relocators and and adjustable panhard bar.
JonnyC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 09:12 AM   #17
Andy4639
Old member

Wink Re: Best riding rear suspension set up.

I agree the stock shocks may not be long enough to work with the No limit kit. I bought all of it together. They move the shocks out ward and further back on the frame to make a much better ride and handling.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 08-05-2014, 10:34 PM   #18
72MARIO

The no limit shock kit sure does lower the scrubb line. Must need a 17" rim of bigger to be safe
1990 V2500 Suburban "Plow Truck"
2005 TAHOE DD
72MARIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 04:54 AM   #19
T49ers68

Good point! The no limit kit looks like it lowers the scrub line. I have also noticed i haven't seen any pictures of the no limit kit installed with a hitch kit. I am looking to install a shock re locator kit and a CPP hidden hitch kit. The CPP hitch kit runs up the side of the frame. Would it interfere where the no limit bracket mounts. Has anyone tried this combination?
T49ers68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 10:23 AM   #20
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by T49ers68 View Post
Good point! The no limit kit looks like it lowers the scrub line. I have also noticed i haven't seen any pictures of the no limit kit installed with a hitch kit. I am looking to install a shock re locator kit and a CPP hidden hitch kit. The CPP hitch kit runs up the side of the frame. Would it interfere where the no limit bracket mounts. Has anyone tried this combination?
I doubt it. The shock brackets look to be withing 6" from the rear axle C/L & they bolt to the side of the frame. The ECE hidden hitch uses the last ~12" of frame rail & bolt to the bottom of the rail.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 06:01 PM   #21
KMC3420

I was told via email to No Limit that a 15 inch wheel could be safely used. I have yet to purchase this kit. Anybody know of anybody who has ran a 15 inch wheel?
Old 02-07-2015, 07:19 PM   #22
kitsbeach

Quote:
It has 5 inch drop springs from ccp and they are soft as butter
I've heard people say that our trucks handle better with a milder spring in the rear, since there is not much weight back there.

I guess it depends if you are using it as a truck to carry things or just want to rip around.

I just want to rip around.

Anyone got ideas about that.?

1967 C10 LWB (now SWB) Fleetside 6cyl Saginaw three-on-the-tree "No Frills"
kitsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 07:49 PM   #23
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

A softer spring will let the rear float a bit more, and prevent it from being bouncy over washboard roads and things like that...but it will also have a tendency to roll/lean more.

A stiffer combo will corner and handle flatter/better, but will feel harsher. This is most common with dropped trucks where the spring has to be stiff to carry the weight of the truck.

Better shocks/adjustable shocks help and give you some more leeway with controlling the weight as well. Its usually a good idea to upgrade both systems at once, otherwise you may not be taking full advantage of either upgrade.

I really like some of the variable rate springs for trucks, which allow a softer spring that stiffens at the bottom 1/3 to still offer an improved response.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 01:37 PM   #24
bsampson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
I really like some of the variable rate springs for trucks, which allow a softer spring that stiffens at the bottom 1/3 to still offer an improved response.
I'm actually getting close to ordering some springs, but everything I've seen is constant rate - at least for drop springs.

Does anybody make a variable rate spring for a 4" drop in the rear?
bsampson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 01:18 PM   #25
kitsbeach

ttt for variable springs

1967 C10 LWB (now SWB) Fleetside 6cyl Saginaw three-on-the-tree "No Frills"
kitsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote