The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-22-2017, 09:18 AM   #1
bobbyv

Lowering Help

Lowering my 64 c10 front will have 2 1/2 drop spindles with 2 inch drop springs rear will have 5 inch drop springs need help with shocks and panhard bar will I need to relocate shocks and will I need to buy shorter ones also will I need a different panhard bar thanks for your thoughts
bobbyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 09:38 AM   #2
chevylookin

Re: Lowering Help

Yes and yes. You will need new shocks all around and as always, with a 5" drop in the rear, you will need an adjustable panhard bar. You will definitely want to relocate the rear shocks too. welcome to the forum by the way. There are probably more articles on here about lowering these trucks than any other subject. Use the search box feature up at the top, type in what you want and search the 67-72chevytrucks . c o m button and you will read about this until your eyeballs fall out.
chevylookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 07:39 AM   #3
JohnJ@RideTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevylookin View Post
Yes and yes. You will need new shocks all around and as always, with a 5" drop in the rear, you will need an adjustable panhard bar. You will definitely want to relocate the rear shocks too. welcome to the forum by the way. There are probably more articles on here about lowering these trucks than any other subject. Use the search box feature up at the top, type in what you want and search the 67-72chevytrucks . c o m button and you will read about this until your eyeballs fall out.
X2

Feel free to give me a shout if you have any questions about shock stroke. I have multiple length pieces and could help you figure out exactly what you need.
Welcome to the forum. There is a lot of knowledge to be gained from this site and the people are very helpful.
Office: 812-482-2932
JJohnson@ridetech.com
Instagram: @ridetech_john
JohnJ@RideTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 01:14 PM   #4
theastronaut

I dropped my '66 with 2.5" spindles and 3" springs up front with a stock length shock. The crossmember would bottom out before the shocks did. I relocated the upper mount by using a modified Currie rear axle shock mount.

On the rear I used another pair of stock length front shocks, and used the new studs that come with the shock to mount them outboard of the frame rails. The lower shock mount brackets were flipped side to side and one new hole was drilled in each for the U-bolt to pass through.

Frizzle Fry came up with the idea, I just copied it. Works better than the reloaction kits since the shocks go outside the frame where they have more leverage on the axle. The truck drove great and was very stable, even at illegal speeds on the interstate. Even with stiffer gas shocks it rode better than my dad's all-stock '66 C10, mostly due to the better body control from the sway bars and better suspension damping.

Link to Frizzle Fry's pics.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...postid=4730005

theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 04:37 PM   #5
forestb

If that search gives you to many hits, log in and then click on the search button underneath the search box and then click on smart search. That way you can narrow your search to the correct year section of the forum.
forestb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 08:35 PM   #6
bbbc10
Diggin The SquareLife

they have front and rear shock extenders out there that bolt so you wont have to fab stuff......belltech has nice shocks
bbbc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 11:30 PM   #7
71cheyennesuperlongb

Check with Rob at NO LIMIT.NET. Hehas some great stuff for our old trucks.His shock relocator kit and his panhard bar kit worked out great for my 6 in. dropped rear 71.Search the upper right search box for MAKE IT HANDLE post.Long read but lots of good info in it.