The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network







Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2019, 09:17 PM   #1
G-NUT
Junior Member
 
G-NUT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Baldwin County, Alabama
Posts: 98
need steel brake line from proportioning valve to front right frame rail

Replaced my front left (drivers side) rubber brake line. Tried to replace front passenger side but cannot get the steel brake line flare nut loose, the part where it connects to the rubber line on the inside of the passenger side frame rail. In the processes I've totally rounded the nut. I did use a flare nut wrench. Used it from the get-go. Didn't work so I got an old 3/8 inch wrench and used my Dremel tool with a cutoff wheel to cut out a section of the round enclosed end just wide enough to get around the line. This didn't work either. So I got my small Vicegrip brand needlenose vicegrips and locked down tight as I could get. Still didn't work. (all the while continuously soaking it with PB Blaster) So I plan to cut it off, but in doing so I'll be replacing that hard line. It runs between the inside of the front passengerside frame rail to the proportioning valve. I've been looking around online and cannot find a direct replacement line for this line. Anyone know where I can get one?
__________________
1985 GMC Sierra Classic 2500 3+3 Crew Cab Long Bed using 5-lug C10 rolling attire - in process to lay pinch weld to the ground
G-NUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 09:39 PM   #2
Bloodhound
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 130
Re: need steel brake line from proportioning valve to front right frame rail

Check inlinetube.com
Bloodhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 11:54 PM   #3
kipps
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: North-central Virginia
Posts: 325
Re: need steel brake line from proportioning valve to front right frame rail

Inline tube will have it, but it won't be listed on their site. The only brake lines they list are complete kits. Ask them, and I'm sure they'd have no problem selling you one line, since they're forming the lines just in time to sell anyway. You'll have a choice of stainless or OE steel. If you get stainless, be forewarned that it's a lot harder to flare it if anything needs adjusting.

I don't know about a 2wd, but on my 3/4 ton 4x4, that line is impossible to remove/replace without removing the corresponding frame bracket for the engine mount. I know it's possible to get those frame brackets off with a small block in place, but it's a whole lot easier to do so if the engine is out. A big block may change things, and make it impossible as well. I don't know on that.
__________________
1987 V20 truck, with a 2010 LMG 5.3, and a sm465 tranny.
kipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 05:32 PM   #4
G-NUT
Junior Member
 
G-NUT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Baldwin County, Alabama
Posts: 98
Re: need steel brake line from proportioning valve to front right frame rail

Thanks for the responses guys. I'll contact them.

I got the correct wrenches and I got the drivers side off with little issue, but MAN! that passenger side. Hopefully I'll be pulling the motor in the near future for some plans that I have. I may just wait till then to install the new line.
__________________
1985 GMC Sierra Classic 2500 3+3 Crew Cab Long Bed using 5-lug C10 rolling attire - in process to lay pinch weld to the ground
G-NUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 05:50 PM   #5
fordguy40
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Montclair, CA
Posts: 96
Re: need steel brake line from proportioning valve to front right frame rail

Recently did a brake overhaul and had the opposite problem; passenger's side line came out easily, had to cut and replace the driver's side hard line. Crow's foot flare wrenches and a shortened 3/8" flare wrench made this job a lot easier. Amazon has a 25' roll of 3/16" line and assorted fittings for 13 bucks, but that's good info about inline tube selling the lines individually...had I not been cheap and impatient, I would've gone that route.
__________________
A few Fords and a couple of Chevys
fordguy40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 07:20 PM   #6
kipps
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: North-central Virginia
Posts: 325
Re: need steel brake line from proportioning valve to front right frame rail

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordguy40 View Post
...Amazon has a 25' roll of 3/16" line and assorted fittings for 13 bucks, but that's good info about inline tube selling the lines individually...had I not been cheap and impatient, I would've gone that route.
The kit I ordered from inline tube was an exact fit -- except for the line from the proportioning valve to the load control valve. That one was so screwy, that I would have been better off making my own line.

For the 200 I spent on a full line kit(not counting the modifications), I could have bought a roll of 3/16" stainless, a roll of 1/4" stainless, all the fittings, and a nice bender tool. I would have spent the same amount, had less total frustration, and still had enough supplies and tools left over for another vehicle.

Don't waste money on a sub-par flaring tool for stainless. Find somebody local who has a really good flaring tool, and pay them 5-10 bucks per flair(or their usual hourly wage, if you're doing a batch at a time). From the prices I was seeing, a flaring tool that I'd trust on stainless is in the $200-$300 range.
__________________
1987 V20 truck, with a 2010 LMG 5.3, and a sm465 tranny.
kipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 10:44 AM   #7
G-NUT
Junior Member
 
G-NUT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Baldwin County, Alabama
Posts: 98
Re: need steel brake line from proportioning valve to front right frame rail

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipps View Post
Inline tube will have it, but it won't be listed on their site. The only brake lines they list are complete kits. Ask them, and I'm sure they'd have no problem selling you one line, since they're forming the lines just in time to sell anyway. You'll have a choice of stainless or OE steel. If you get stainless, be forewarned that it's a lot harder to flare it if anything needs adjusting.

I don't know about a 2wd, but on my 3/4 ton 4x4, that line is impossible to remove/replace without removing the corresponding frame bracket for the engine mount. I know it's possible to get those frame brackets off with a small block in place, but it's a whole lot easier to do so if the engine is out. A big block may change things, and make it impossible as well. I don't know on that.

Contacted InlineTube.com. They would not sell me an individual line. They said they'd only sell sets, and I do not need the set. Said I was looking at something like $200 or so for a front steel line set.

Nope. I guess I'll be trying my hand at making a single line when I get my motor out. I don't understand why these companies will only sell a set and not a single line.
__________________
1985 GMC Sierra Classic 2500 3+3 Crew Cab Long Bed using 5-lug C10 rolling attire - in process to lay pinch weld to the ground
G-NUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 11:47 AM   #8
kipps
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: North-central Virginia
Posts: 325
Re: need steel brake line from proportioning valve to front right frame rail

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-NUT View Post
Contacted InlineTube.com. They would not sell me an individual line....
Huh. They specify on their site that if there's anything custom about your vehicle, to let them know at the time of ordering and they can accommodate. This tells me that they're working off of CAD designs and can adjust them on the fly before bending and cutting the lines. If so, I'd have sure thought they could sell one line. Strange way of doing business, but what do I know?
__________________
1987 V20 truck, with a 2010 LMG 5.3, and a sm465 tranny.
kipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 11:03 PM   #9
pitterpat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 79
Re: need steel brake line from proportioning valve to front right frame rail

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipps View Post
Huh. They specify on their site that if there's anything custom about your vehicle, to let them know at the time of ordering and they can accommodate. This tells me that they're working off of CAD designs and can adjust them on the fly before bending and cutting the lines. If so, I'd have sure thought they could sell one line. Strange way of doing business, but what do I know?
Too much labor and whims of customers to sell individual lines. Not enough profit in selling single lines.
__________________
1984 Chevy Custom 20
$2500 work done on engine and transmission 2010/ less than 1000 miles on it since.
Here's my mild build thread,
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=783971
pitterpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
brake line, flare nut, steel brake line

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1997-2013 67-72chevytrucks.com