The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-15-2020, 09:17 PM   #1
Chvy2NV

Frame paint options

Im looking at getting a low sheen satin paint for my frame , just wondering what you guys are using.
Ive looked into the eastwood stuff,
Chvy2NV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 09:31 PM   #2
PGSigns

Re: Frame paint options

I have been using equipment enamel for frames and suspension parts. Holds up good. Lots of options for sources from sherwin williams to tractor supply.
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 09:41 PM   #3
projectking

3 coats SPI black epoxy
90 Mustang Notchback
projectking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 10:42 PM   #4
mongocanfly
Post Whore

"SPI black epoxy "----X2

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 03:46 PM   #5
lupo

I prefer I urethane over an epoxy. If you scratch an epoxy the rust will travel. If you use a metallic based urethane primer the rust won't travel beyond the scratch. A 2 component polyester type urethane has more chemical and acid resistance. If you're looking strictly for color is one thing if you're looking for long term corrosion resistance use the 3 coat polyurethane system

Last edited by lupo; 05-16-2020 at 03:52 PM.
lupo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 12:33 AM   #6
Foot Stomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupo View Post
. If you scratch an epoxy the rust will travel. If you use a metallic based urethane primer the rust won't travel beyond the scratch. A 2 component polyester type urethane has more chemical and acid resistance.
Epoxy primer is the only product that prevents rust creep. Sorry, but you are badly mistaken.

There's no such thing as a metallic based urethane primer. Any urethane (high build) primer has zero rust prevention properties.

Urethane is a very good topcoat and does have great a abrasion resistance.

My 1959 GMC build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=686989
Foot Stomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 07:46 AM   #7
lupo

I don't know what to say. Aluminum pigmented moisture cured permanent rust sealer/primer was developed by Mo Bay chemical in the mid-seventies for bridges. When I worked in the industry I sold it regularly. This sealer primer with a polyurethane topcoat would run thousands of hours of salt spray with very little or no rust creepage if there was creepage it would be less than 1/32 of an inch. Polyester urethane. Has 10 times the chemical and acid resistance that he automotive line. It was used on subway cars all over the country.

Now you work in a body shop how many different paints did you see in a body shop? I would say probably maybe 10 different coating systems. I had to deal with a lot more than that. Go to the thread titled had to make an older restoration quickly you'll see a picture of 2 tablets one with your epoxy and one with the permanent rust sealer and see the difference. Each panel has 3 coats It downloaded Im a computer whiz
Attached Images

Old 05-18-2020, 09:27 AM   #8
Foot Stomper

You're obviously well intended and well informed, but sending guys out looking for the products you are talking about is not good. Industrial coatings are a whole different kettle of fish, as you described.

Check out https://www.rustoleum.com/product-ca...oatings/noxyde for bridge coatings developed in the past 10 years or https://www.sealforlife.com/product/wrappingband/ a Polyisobutane based corrosion coating are used in underground pipelines and sea structures ... both of these products boast an incredible long life service with no rust but neither are available to the general public, are offered in small quantities, are intended for automotive restoration/repair nor are affordable even if they were.

My point being there are many industrial products not available or even applicable for vehicle repair which basically has one coating system; epoxy primer on bare metal, then urethane high build primer, then urethane top coat.

Old 05-18-2020, 10:08 AM   #9
lupo

Name:  mustang mcu primer.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  42.2 KB This Mustang is completely primed inside and out with the Permanent rust sealer primer to minimize comebacks. Vintage cars of South Carolina has done this for the last 20 years or so. This procedure is as follows 2 coats the Permanent Rust Sealer followed by epoxy or urethane surfacing primer, something sandable. There are companies in the hobby that sell small amounts of industrial coatings for restoration work. I was affiliated with a couple of these companies prior to my retirement so I hesitate to name brands.
Old 05-18-2020, 02:37 PM   #10
projectking

I’m an industrial painter and also do automotive, there isn’t anything for a bridge I would spray on a car! The salt fog video you shared was made by you?
90 Mustang Notchback

Last edited by projectking; 05-18-2020 at 02:44 PM.
Old 05-18-2020, 02:43 PM   #11
projectking

Quote:
I don't know what to say. Aluminum pigmented moisture cured permanent rust sealer/primer was developed by Mo Bay chemical in the mid-seventies for bridges. When I worked in the industry I sold it regularly. This sealer primer with a polyurethane topcoat would run thousands of hours of salt spray with very little or no rust creepage if there was creepage it would be less than 1/32 of an inch. Polyester urethane. Has 10 times the chemical and acid resistance that he automotive line. It was used on subway cars all over the country.

Now you work in a body shop how many different paints did you see in a body shop? I would say probably maybe 10 different coating systems. I had to deal with a lot more than that. Go to the thread titled had to make an older restoration quickly you'll see a picture of 2 tablets one with your epoxy and one with the permanent rust sealer and see the difference. Each panel has 3 coats It downloaded Im a computer whiz
Starts with M and ends in T...for not wanting to name a name you sure did a **** job of hiding what’s written! Sorry but there’s no $99 Mastercoat chassis kit going on anything I own or build.
90 Mustang Notchback
Old 05-18-2020, 03:52 PM   #12
lupo

I'm sorry if you were able to read what I scribbled out I'm not a graphic artist. I did not make that salt fog video It was done somewhere in Missouri or Indiana. Do you use an epoxy on your automotive work? They Use that on bridges. They use single stage urethane on bridges What do you use on chassis?

Last edited by lupo; 05-18-2020 at 04:36 PM.
Old 05-18-2020, 04:54 PM   #13
projectking

My chassis paint recommendation is already posted here. That video is by a guy that has no other entries on YouTube, it’s bull**** to promote a product. We use a wide range of products on bridges, mainly zinc, epoxy, and urethane. The only time we use all urethane based products is a moisture cured system when working in cold temp is required. There is little to no flex in industrial products making them useless against rock chips. There is no comparison between industrial and auto grade epoxy except the name Epoxy same goes for urethane. How can you compare products that are spec’d out 12 mills of epoxy before a 2.5-5 mil topcoat when a complete auto system is sub 7 mil total?

Mastercoat and the 10 or more rebranded similar products rates with the snake oil POR15 in my book. If a restoration shop uses them I’d simply find another place to take my ride...PERIOD
90 Mustang Notchback
Old 05-18-2020, 05:43 PM   #14
nsb29

Well nobody called anybody a hack LOL I guess that nickname only applies to me but I’ll throw my two cents worth in SPI
Old 05-18-2020, 05:49 PM   #15
lupo

I just saw your post with the SPI epoxy without a topcoat. That explains the attitude.
Old 05-18-2020, 06:15 PM   #16
lupo

Name:  ny ant graffiti.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  106.5 KB I used the $84 kit on my chassis
Old 05-18-2020, 06:15 PM   #17
projectking

Quote:
I just saw your post with the SPI epoxy without a topcoat. That explains the attitude.
What does that mean?
90 Mustang Notchback
Old 05-18-2020, 08:36 PM   #18
Chvy2NV

What’s your guys take on the Eastwood 2k satin black or the extreme chassis black
Chvy2NV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 09:06 PM   #19
Foot Stomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chvy2NV View Post
What’s your guys take on the Eastwood 2k satin black or the extreme chassis black
The Xtreme Chassis Black is a great 2K urethane. I'd have no hesitation putting that on anything; as long as there's an epoxy primer under it.

https://5starxtreme.com/

The entire Xtreme line is built from various high end automotive refinish products manufacturers on the market. I know this because I was part of the testing and development team for IAMG when the Xtreme private brand was launched. No compromise to quality was allowed for it to carry the Xtreme label.

Old 05-18-2020, 09:44 PM   #20
projectking

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsb29 View Post
Well nobody called anybody a hack LOL I guess that nickname only applies to me but I’ll throw my two cents worth in SPI
Not sure about being a hack or not but definitely has skin in the snake oil peddling game.
90 Mustang Notchback
Old 05-18-2020, 10:06 PM   #21
lupo

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectking View Post
Not sure about being a hack or not but definitely has skin in the snake oil peddling game.
Project King you been on my case from day one. This is not the 1st time that I had to deal with the thugs. And you know damn well what I'm talking about. Let's do some independent testing will split the cost if that subway paint looks like snake oil you got a lot to learn.
Old 05-18-2020, 10:34 PM   #22
projectking

Quote:
Project King you been on my case from day one. This is not the 1st time that I had to deal with the thugs. And you know damn well what I'm talking about. Let's do some independent testing will split the cost if that subway paint looks like snake oil you got a lot to learn.
You’re delusional, I’m a thug because you post a worthless salt fog video and I don’t jump on your bandwagon? I give 2 ****s about your mastercrap paint. I paint for a living and only ever seen/heard of it from you...please show me something that isn’t on THEIR website where it’s actually specified for a project .
90 Mustang Notchback
Old 05-18-2020, 10:38 PM   #23
projectking

Lot to learn...LMAO! I’m NACE certified among others...stick with YouTube and your discount chassis saving miracle paint.
90 Mustang Notchback
Old 05-19-2020, 11:34 AM   #24
theastronaut

Quote:
Attachment 2016471Vintage cars of South Carolina has done this for the last 20 years or so.
Did you mean Classic Cars of South Carolina?
theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 12:28 PM   #25
lupo

It is Vintage cars Inc. Fort Mill South Carolina