The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-05-2012, 01:00 PM   #1
kingman14

Project "twinkie"

Well it's time. I bought this truck a few months back and it's time to start the VERY slow resto on it (i'm a poor boy). I'm 20 and this will be my first resto since i was about 8 ( my dad use to have a 68-72 nova all the time) and i helped him with those all the time. i have a '78 toyota and as with all toyotas with age came rust so i have to keep it patched together. I also build my own motors and transmissions.

The truck is a '69 with a 307 and th400. it has factory power steering, power brakes, and A/C.
It has a levi's emblem on the dash and was upholstered (what was left of it) in denim. was there such a thing as a levi's edition c10?

The truck has a 307 in it now and the plans for now are to repair the body and get it in primer and do the same with the frame and get it painted or powder coated. At that point i'll build my very mild 350 to run while i search for the manual conversion parts i need and build a sbc 302 to go in it with a muncie or saginaw 4speed. when the 350 comes out for the 302 to go in i'll do the paint (still undecided but thinking a 2010 camaro green or a candy tangerine kinda color)

i'll have to fab new kick panels for both sides unless someone knows where i can buy complete new ones.

passenger rear fender had a rip and a few dents that i straightened out with the good ol body hammer and some filler.

This is gonna be a slower build but i'm so excited that i finally got my dream truck.
i welcome all comments good and bad! looking forward to some input and advice!
kingman14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:47 PM   #2
Tinkermc

Re: Project "twinkie"

You are 20 years old, you have another 60 years at least. So go slow and build yourself a very nice truck and don't breeak the bank, set a budget and put away so much each week or each month and when you have the cash buy the next thing on the list. Most of all have fun
Tinkermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:09 PM   #3
kingman14

well i got the bed off today and almost completely disassembled before the thunder storms got here. Someone that owned the truck before me broke a U-bolt on the rearend and instead of the the logical and easy thing and simply putting a new one on they decided to do the difficult thing and WELD the rearend to the trailing arm.

Does anyone know a rough estimate on what it'd cost to have the frame and axle housing powder coated?
Old 09-08-2012, 02:16 AM   #4
suspect

i got my frame blasted for $125. i didn't get it powder coated, but there was a place that would've blasted and coated it for i think $450. make sure you do your preassembly (all cutting and drilling) before coating.

Romans 10:13 Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.
suspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 04:12 AM   #5
kingman14

Quote:
Originally Posted by suspect View Post
i got my frame blasted for $125. i didn't get it powder coated, but there was a place that would've blasted and coated it for i think $450. make sure you do your preassembly (all cutting and drilling) before coating.
thanks for the input! i checked out your project thread and subscribed! looking good
Old 09-08-2012, 07:06 AM   #6
tsali39

Cool truck! Keep up the work!
Old 09-08-2012, 08:12 PM   #7
kingman14

thanks!

I got the beed tore all the way down today and all the interior out of the truck (dash and all)

here's the genius axle fix

Old 09-09-2012, 03:47 AM   #8
kingman14

here is what i'm looking at for chassis, suspension, and brakes.
http://www.earlyclassic.com/catalog....railing%20arms for the trailing arms and crossmember.

http://www.classicperform.com/Store/...2FRBK-BB-R.htm
big brake kit! disc conversion front and back with MONSTER 13 inch front rotors. runs $1800

http://www.classicperform.com/Store/.../6369RAC-5.htm
5lug conversion axle shafts run $290

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HSS-80390/
hotchkis handling kit

http://www.classicperform.com/Store/...ruck/CP4S1.htm
cpp stock height spindles (the hotchkis kit is a 4-6 drop) $239

And then a set of 17 inch wheels.. undecided no more than $250 per wheel and as always... the cheaper the better lol. thinking about something like this http://www.rocketracingwheels.com/ro...hyper-shot/p46

Just trying to get a parts list together so i can set a budget and aim to hit it lol
Old 09-10-2012, 12:18 AM   #9
kingman14

I got the windshield out today (without cracking it!)

and started on the front clip
Old 09-17-2012, 10:16 PM   #10
kingman14

got the cab all unbolted and ready to set off the frame

Old 09-19-2012, 02:11 AM   #11
kingman14

got the cab off today

Old 02-21-2015, 03:58 AM   #12
kingman14

2 years later and i'm finally starting on the truck lol. it'll be slow go but hey i waited 2 years to start so i may as well take my time haha. i have to get it done by November 18th 2017 though! my future wife and I will be leaving our wedding in it. As of right now i have the axle stripped ready for powder coat and half way done with the frame and front suspension for powder coating (he is going to media blast and coat it for $400) I have all moog ball joints, bushings and such ordered, SFK axle rebuild kit (bearings, seals and such). Still need to order disc brake spindles and 5 lug swap axles so i have 6 lug axles in great shape if anyone needs them. I'll keep pictures posted as i make progress!
-Jareb
Old 03-11-2015, 01:29 AM   #13
kingman14

Ordered my 2x3 3/16 wall steel tube, Currie enterprises rebuildable Johnny joints, and 1-1/4 12tpi tap to fab my trailing arms. backed out on powder coating... so i ordered a complete frame coating kit from http://www.kbs-coatings.com/chassis-paint-kit.html so we'll see what it does lol

350 4bolt block ready to go

moog moog moog all the front end parts ready to go!

power steering sector rebuilt and ready to go!

i gotta make a run out tomorrow and pick up a set of them piston return springs, engine rotator splints, and hypertension headlight valves while they're on sale!

got my new trailing arms started today... standing next to a factory one. i'm outta 7018 rods so i gotta pick some up tomorrow[/QUOTE]
Old 12-20-2019, 10:22 PM   #14
kingman14

Resurecting my old thread. It's going to be a slow build since I'm building a house too.
Back story as to why I had to stop working on it 4 years ago.
We lost the job that provided the house and shop I was working on it in so it got moved to storage where it has sit for 4 years.
I got married 2 years ago and had to move to little rock for a year before my job fell through and had to move back with mom and dad where I started building my wife and I a house. Last January my wife and I found out we were pregnant so the truck got moved off the back burner to the cabinet where I planned on it staying till my son got old enough to help me build it.
We'll he was born September 3rd of this year. Best thing that ever happened to me.
He passed away last Sunday to SIDS. That is where the truck comes into play. Since me and him were going to build it together I have been trying to figure out what to do to honor his 3 months on earth as best as i can. I want to build this truck in his memory and dedicate it to my son Jason.
Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
I have everything done to build a rolling chassis except coating the chassis. All suspension and such I finished/bought before I had to stop working on it
Old 12-20-2019, 10:34 PM   #15
67C10Step

Kingman,
Words cannot express my condolences to you for your loss. I can understand why you’d want to restart your truck project at this point. Anything to keep you busy will be good and a shelved project is a good one for sure.
Keep us updated and good to see another Arky on here as well!
2020 Toyota CH-R
2020 Acura MDX
67C10Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 12:08 PM   #16
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

My sincere condolences to you and your family. Best of luck to you in the future.

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 09:05 PM   #17
72 tigger

Boy, that’s tough. Praying for you and your wife
Kirk
72 tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 10:59 AM   #18
Snake72

Kingman,
You have my deepest condolences, cannot imagine what you are going through. Prayers for you and your wife, dedicating the truck to him is a great idea.
Snake72 is offline   Reply With Quote