The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-21-2018, 12:28 PM   #1
Big Blue

Head Nuts are tight

Hello Everyone, I have a situation that I do not understand. I had my heads done, only new seals and new springs. I put the heads on and lightly tighten down the rocker nuts to the stud. I decided to take them back off so I could put in New push rods. I got must of them off but ( 4 ) they became tight near the top of the stud. I have attached video, one shows the snapped off nuts that I have to replace and the other shows (not that great of a video) how much I have to go before the nut stops at the top of the stud, and how far I can take it back down, not far a all. What caused this?????? I am not and engine wiz so any help and understanding will make me a better engine wizzard.

BIG PROBLEM, HOW DO I UPLOAD VIDEOS???

Thanks again, John

STILL Working on a frame up: 1987 Truck body on a 78 Blazer frame. Need cab blasted to start project. Got the cab BLASTED, Now Prep and Paint. Started to lay SOME BONDO and primer. Done, Ordering paint. Got paint, Stuff painted,Cab,Fenders, Hood more later. 9/7/2015 Got the clear coat on,now time to take one off. Started to put things back (What a nightmare) like the heating and AC stuff,inside wire harness, outside AC unit and booster, still more. May 2016, still working on the inside. Got duck work in,heating and AC. Radio (stock) in dash with after market in console later, Speaker are hooked up, Steering column is in. Getting ready to drop the cab onto the frame, Working on engine now since I have the room. Well here it is 2018, got the engine in and it runs, now I need to get the exhaust system in so I can adjust the lifters, to loud right now. Got the exhaust on now I am waiting for the break parts to come in.
Big Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 12:53 PM   #2
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Re: Head Nuts are tight

sounds like you have thread damage to the studs....

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 01:57 PM   #3
Big Blue

Thanks, the nuts came off fairly easy before I sent the heads out. I have 3 on the driver side and 1 on the passenger side. here is a picture of the one head with the snapped studs. The studs looks messed up because I had to use a high impact gun to remove the nut causing the stud to snap at the nut.

Thanks John
Attached Images

STILL Working on a frame up: 1987 Truck body on a 78 Blazer frame. Need cab blasted to start project. Got the cab BLASTED, Now Prep and Paint. Started to lay SOME BONDO and primer. Done, Ordering paint. Got paint, Stuff painted,Cab,Fenders, Hood more later. 9/7/2015 Got the clear coat on,now time to take one off. Started to put things back (What a nightmare) like the heating and AC stuff,inside wire harness, outside AC unit and booster, still more. May 2016, still working on the inside. Got duck work in,heating and AC. Radio (stock) in dash with after market in console later, Speaker are hooked up, Steering column is in. Getting ready to drop the cab onto the frame, Working on engine now since I have the room. Well here it is 2018, got the engine in and it runs, now I need to get the exhaust system in so I can adjust the lifters, to loud right now. Got the exhaust on now I am waiting for the break parts to come in.
Old 02-21-2018, 05:30 PM   #4
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

If a compressed air impact wrench was used to remove or install these nuts they could have been stripped that way. You may get by with repairing the stripped bolt but best is to remove and replace. Since you'll probably have to take it in to replace the broken one it's best to have them replace the stripped ones also.
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 06:17 PM   #5
Big Blue

Thanks Again, when I removed the nuts I used a socket, putting back on
( lightly ) I used a socket again. I took the nut down to the rocker did not tighten them, going back out that is when some became tight. The 4 that are shot went up so far and got tight, then I could not go up or down with a socket.
We had to use the high impact gun on then to remove the four in question. Again thanks, John

Old 02-21-2018, 06:53 PM   #6
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

"...when I removed the nuts I used a socket, putting back on
( lightly ) I used a socket again..."

Someone in the past may have done it and weakened the threads. Do you think maybe the machine shop people used an impact wrench?

Irregardless, I have re-threaded lightly stripped bolts in the past successfully but not on the head or intake. In your case since one of them is broken, it may be best to have the machine shop replace them. Shouldn't cost that much.
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 07:35 PM   #7
Big Blue

Thanks, I do not know if the guy I had do the work used the impact or not. I got everything back after waiting 4 months for him to do it. He just had the rockers and (spacer) the thingies on the bottom and the nuts just placed on the studs. So I do not know what happened.

Thanks John