The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-23-2012, 12:26 AM   #1
67carry-all

Headliner molding - adding to the knowledge base

I have most of the original headliner panels for my Suburban and wanted to use them somehow despite some holes in them and broken moldings that hold them in place. I saw this idea at a show a couple of years ago and finally got it all put together in place.

Headliner boards were sprayed with headliner adhesive, then headliner material from Joanne's Fabric applied (soft fuzz with a thin foam backing). The headliner moldings are from a '94-'97 full-size Dodge van. They're about 2 inches too long, and once cut to size, fit perfectly, snapping well into place on the bows. The moldings are a little hard to find: they're discontinued by Mopar, so need to be searched out in a yard. Each van only has two bows, so two vans are needed. Many of the vans I came across were either work vans (no headliner) or van conversions ( no stock headliner). Most are grey as shown, though I did come across one in white. Make sure to get the trim clips as well as they are also discontinued.

Picture shows on the left the moldings used. The white one is from an earlier Dodge van (I forget the year, probably the series just prior to the '94-'97. Width is similar to stock; I didn't check the "snap-on" fit to the Suburban bows. The trim clips are a little longer than stock but will fit stock Suburban bows. The molding on the far right is a stock Suburban one for comparison. Last pic is of 3 of the four brackets used to support middle of the headliner board.

Took a bit of legwork to put it all together - hope the info is useful to others!
Attached Images

67carry-all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:23 AM   #2
k5kev

Re: Headliner molding - adding to the knowledge base

Regarding the last pic,.......do you know where (which position or panel) the longer single bracket goes. I believe I have 2 or the shorter and 1 long one, but can't remember the install order. I also have 72 rear air if that make a diference. Thanks.
k5kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:32 PM   #3
67carry-all

Unfortunately, I didn't record which brackets went where when removed. I believe that the longer one shown in the pic goes to one of the two panels in the middle (the chunk of headliner held in by the screw in the pic aligns with a larger hole in one of those panels). The 3 smaller brackets point to the back of the truck when installed. Good luck with the install!
67carry-all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:04 AM   #4
GMCjunkie
Dude...I'm a CHICK

Wow, that is awesome, you have gotten very creative and resourceful.

'71 GMC Suburban 4x4
GMCjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote