The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-08-2017, 12:09 PM   #1
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

Where to mount my turn signal lights

I am trying to make up my mind where to mount them on the front of my car and which to choose as color of light (chrome or black)

Right now , I am thinking of the bumper mounts as place to install them
Not sure about Plastic Vrs Chrome as there are lots of Plastic ones

If you got any thoughts ,,please share as I need a second opinion ,,maybe a third ,,

appreciate any ideas or photos or been there done that info..

Name:  20170524_114821.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  37.7 KB
Old 10-08-2017, 12:25 PM   #2
Wizo

Re: Where to mount my turn signal lights

Get the head light bulbs that have the turn signals in them already.
You won't have to drill any more holes and it keeps the front of your ride clean looking. Awesome looking ride.
Wizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 01:39 PM   #3
CG
BlahBlahBlah

I like the small ones that conform to the top or sides of the headlight pods. Or you could get some pod shaped ones (keeping with the stock front end look) that mount maybe to your bumper brackets and just peek over the top of the bumper.

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 02:09 PM   #4
mongocanfly
Post Whore

yep...turnsignal/headlights is what I was thinking as well....nice ride.https://www.summitracing.com/parts/u...hoCCIEQAvD_BwE
Attached Images

mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 02:18 PM   #5
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

Can you hide them behind the grille?
Man rule #77...if you own a 67 stepside with a caddy 472 you will never be in danger of loosing you man card
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 03:34 PM   #6
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

That's a tough call, Larry. Hate to do anything that would degrade the looks of that beauty, and I would never punch holes in those front fenders, even though chrome torpedos on the fenders might make for a period-correct look.

Seems like bumper-mounted chrome fog lamps with amber lenses would also be period-correct, and could possibly be used as turn signals.

If add-ons don't seem right to you, the headlamps shown above with built-in turn signals might be just the ticket. And no holes to drill!

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 03:37 PM   #7
GOPAPA

Cool Re: Where to mount my turn signal lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizo View Post
Get the head light bulbs that have the turn signals in them already.
You won't have to drill any more holes and it keeps the front of your ride clean looking. Awesome looking ride.
I hear ya about keeping it all clean ,and will keep this in mind ,,if I change from what I first started thinking about some thing from the bumper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
I like the small ones that conform to the top or sides of the headlight pods. Or you could get some pod shaped ones (keeping with the stock front end look) that mount maybe to your bumper brackets and just peek over the top of the bumper.
This is exactly what I was thinking ,just above the bumper and larger than a motorcycle lamp but not as large as them 6 inchers that came out in 39 as fog lights

UOTE=68C15;8056402]Can you hide them behind the grille?[/QUOTE]

It is a good idea ,,maybe for a wider grille ,,My grille is so narrow that for me ,it would not seperate the left from the right to much ..

So,,,,, I was wondering what a 3 inch tall one by 2 inch wide would look like?

And... I am pondering this too ,,thus far

What if the seal beam went out or the turn signal part ,, one or the other ,,,, odds of one burning out or breaking ,,?? odds ?? still thinking about it though because it would simplify it and as what Wizo said ,,a clean front end ...
Old 10-08-2017, 06:48 PM   #8
special-K
Special Order

I don't like digital, electronic, l.e.d. kinda stuff on an early car like that. To me it's the dime store easy way out. I'd mount turn signals that look good and look right. Don't need to hide them when they look great and add a nice detail to the car. Look at motorcycle blinkers if you can't find chrome hot rod bullet shaped ones. I had a set on my Harley that were about 1" diameter, bubble lenses, and the billet chromed bullet shaped housings were about 2 1/4" long. They weighed a couple pounds, high quality for sure. I also don't like billet, but with these it's just a higher quality material on a light that could just as easily be Taiwan chrome tin.
https://www.googleadservices.com/pag...9aACCC8&adurl=

https://www.google.com/search?q=hot+...iw=865&bih=402

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 10-08-2017 at 08:58 PM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 08:41 PM   #9
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocker View Post
Seems like bumper-mounted chrome fog lamps with amber lenses would also be period-correct, and could possibly be used as turn signals.
I like them.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 08:51 PM   #10
davischevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul View Post
I like them.

What he said.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 09:04 PM   #11
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Sweet! That's what I had in mind!

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 12:21 AM   #12
GOPAPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul View Post
I like them.

This car you have shown is one of my ideas of mounting the lights to the bumper braces .. I do want mine further apart ,,( JMO) I am for a smaller light than these shown on this car ,,more of a rectangular size of about 2 inches wide and 3 inches tall ..

But the headlights with the signal in the bottom is starting to appeal to me also

I don't think of my car as original ,, I do like the front of the car looking just like it is without any more added to it .. but I need turn signals as I just know lots of drivers out there doe's not know what the hand signals mean.

All posts are helpful , talking about it with you all gives me ideas that I didn't have , thx
Old 10-09-2017, 01:53 AM   #13
mongocanfly
Post Whore

gopapa...if other drivers dont understand hand signals then maybe your using the wrong hand signals....I've got a special hand signal...especially when they cut me off while they on a cell phone....haha
Old 10-09-2017, 07:11 AM   #14
special-K
Special Order

He's talking about the "Proactive" hand signals, not reactive. Those who are big on using that term are the ones who won't understand what he is doing. He could do what so many fools driving modern cars that do have turn signals do and hit the brakes first before letting you know why. I hate that. "Oh ok. That's why you are hitting your brakes! Good to know." Using signals first lets you know next they will be hitting their brakes. How can we get people to start paying attention their own driving? I don't think the above mentioned hand signal works on them. They are left wondering, "I wonder why he is doing that"

I'm mostly concerned with rear turn signals. Oncoming traffic doesn't need to know what you are doing, in most cases. They have the right of way and it's up to you to watch out for them.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 10-09-2017, 07:47 AM   #15
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: Where to mount my turn signal lights

Internet pictures.

Drill some tiny holes in the bumper and mount these.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 08:00 AM   #16
GOPAPA

That car Andy has way to many lights (fog lights) (spot light) did you see the original option turn signals on top of the fenders? for me it is to many ,,for other owners ,,looks great

I see a pair of those on Ebay used for $450 (Not going to poke holes in fenders)

I guess I do not want a car with all that lighting up front ,, if I do go with the smaller ones like you showed ,,I would have to see them in person as when I see reviews of the motor cycle type ,,not may have 5 stars and plastic is a concern as hot weather here kills plastic,, I know this as I just yesterday replaced the vent on our RV as it was cooked to a crisp ..

Dont take me wrong ,,I like all the different ideas as it gives me another option
Old 10-09-2017, 09:33 AM   #17
special-K
Special Order

Did you check my links? Those can be mounted off the brackets. Harleys are hard on lights for vibration. Original Harley turn signals are about 2" and are high quality OEM. Those krommet lights Andy showed are meant to be used as license plate bolts, but could certainly work as he suggested.

It's your car, but I'd have no problem drilling holes to mount these. They are permanent, afterall, and would look right
Name:  35-36-turn-signal-046.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  26.2 KB
Here are pretty much all your options. I've seen headlight bulbs with a single amber bulb you can barely see in there.
https://www.google.com/search?q=stre...HSP-AYcQsAQIJQ

Tim

Last edited by special-K; 10-09-2017 at 09:44 AM.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:54 AM   #18
GOPAPA

Mongocanfly,,,ha ha is right,, don't believe that signal you mentioned is worth the risk of being shot at ..

Tim ,,actually there is a plugged hole on the inside of the 39 head light bucket for a turn signal if one wanted to use it ,,but I am not liking anything on the side or top of mine ''

I will take your word on the OME Harley turn signals being tough ,,and I may think more on them as being clamped or bolted to the bumper braces up front.. but no lights on the fender or headlight bucket

I did see a headlight at a car show with the amber light inside of the head lamp and it was plenty bright ..and when you turn on your turning lights they get more voltage than when just using the same bulb for running lights..
Old 10-09-2017, 11:40 AM   #19
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: Where to mount my turn signal lights

I don't have the turn signals wired just running lights in mine. I like them much. The head lights are changeable, LED not!
Yes the turn signals get brighter when used.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Old 10-09-2017, 12:01 PM   #20
mongocanfly
Post Whore

your right....crazy drivers that want to fight or shoot has gotten to be a HUGE problem...theres all kinds of utubes showing how bad its gotten ..the hand signals I give are mostly in my head and accompnied by a few muffled adult words....
Old 10-09-2017, 07:24 PM   #21
special-K
Special Order

I understand wanting the body to be clean and uncluttered. I'm the same way.

Tim

Old 10-09-2017, 07:41 PM   #22
GOPAPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I understand wanting the body to be clean and uncluttered. I'm the same way.

I thought you were ,, I bought my 39 with the old stove bolt six pack in it.. I didn't want a original 39 because to be honest they are no fun ,, always have to keep every thing the same as it came out and that makes for a dull time ,,
,,I like the 60ies hot rod thing and this 6 banger is perfect for that era

I had a few cars back in them days with out turn signals and never needed them ,, but now I will get run over if I do not have them in and use them,, more cars every where you look,, going in a hurry from stop light to stop light all the while wishing I would speed up over the speed limit so to let them beat it to the next stop light ,,,

Now this is me ,,not putting anyone down for original old cars..
Old 10-09-2017, 09:58 PM   #23
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

If you could find some high quality bumper bolt ones like Andy posted, only with a flat lens or slightly domed and replace a bumper bolt with them.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 04:23 PM   #24
GOPAPA

I got to tell ya guys ,,I am leaning towards the headlights with the amber turn signals in them.. I honestly did not think I would be going with the seal beams ,,but it does keep the front end all cleaned up with all the wiring hidden ..

I have come back from walking the streets with my truck and find some guy leaning up against the truck just looking ,,and this way I will not have any one bending/ breaking off my lights if connected to the bumper braces ..
Old 10-10-2017, 07:26 PM   #25
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Where to mount my turn signal lights

A lot of people hang them under the front bumper. I for one think it's to low for them to be seen are to do any good. I like the head light's better.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club