The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-02-2015, 10:59 PM   #1
mike16

tools to break down split rims

My 68 k20 is all origonal and going to stay that way.

it has split rims

please dont lecture me on the saftey issues related to split rims. I know them well.

I need to locate tools to break down my rims.

anybody else doing splt rims? where do I get the toold to do my rims?

I checked NAPA an "they" cant find any tools in thier catolog.

I need advice from someone still doing split rims.

thanks
mike16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 11:15 PM   #2
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Re: tools to break down split rims

If you strike out here, look for a tire shop that does tires & wheels for big rigs. Might have better luck with an older shop. They should have all the tools, and might be able to steer you towards a source. Maybe even fix you up with something of theirs, who knows.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 08:51 AM   #3
burnin oil

Check on youtube and there are plenty of videos on how to do them. Good luck on finding a shop to work on them. Insurance has basically phased them out of existence. I have never done them myself but I too have a couple that need broke down to change out tubes. The long and short is deflate the tire by pulling the stem then pop the ring off. Then you can dismount the tire. From all I have ever read the key is to ensure that the ring surface is spotless to ensure it seats. Once everything is put back together you need to inflate the tire to around 20 PSI and then check that the ring is seated. Then reinflate. Many folks use a logging chain around the rim if they don't have a cage. These can break so make sure it is tight so there is less slack if something goes wrong. The rim coming apart will mutilate a tire cage! Also it is a good idea to have a remote air chuck. It shouldn't take any special tools other than a tire spoon and a duck bill (tire) hammer. I have used a couple pry bars and a duckbill to change out tires on my K20 all the way up to a mack truck.
burnin oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 09:51 AM   #4
fp1967

Ken Tools makes what you need. I did a Google search and they have a website with all of their tools and where to buy them. I have a couple of spoons and a lock ring tool made by them, they are good quality.
fp1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 11:31 AM   #5
michael bustamante

let me lecture you on the saftey issues related to split rims..... just playin man
go to a truckers tire shop. they know how to break em down correctly with no risk to you.
Old 09-03-2015, 11:39 AM   #6
cooperhw

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael bustamante View Post
let me lecture you on the saftey issues related to split rims..... just playin man
go to a truckers tire shop. they know how to break em down correctly with no risk to you.
Torch. Dun. Ha.
Posted via Mobile Device
cooperhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 11:55 AM   #7
Aruba1

This is what I use to break mine with along with a tire breaker/hammer. But this is on the split rims on lowboy trailers, not sure if the same applies to your rims.

http://www.harborfreight.com/24-inch...ron-93230.html
Aruba1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 12:02 PM   #8
mike16

been doing it in the army for eight years. never had a problem. havent done one since 2010. Bought this truck and its all so amazingly origonal it seems a shame to switch the rims over because others are unsafe.

we'ed wrap them in chains and lay them under the vehicle so they would blow and fly upward into the frame if it blew. on construction vehicles we'ed assemble them and park a forklift in front of the tire and everbody went to lunch....except the guy building the rim up. then fill it with air.

thanks all, for the advice. keep it coming as i think others will appriciate it as well.
Old 09-14-2015, 09:44 PM   #9
mike16

an update.

checked Ken tools. nice but pricey. my split rims are not actully "split" but solid rings all around. How i missed that I dont know. any way two ken tool vendors and neither could help.Went to u tube and after the many split rim blowing up episodes, I fount a few dealing with dismounting split rims. interesting but not too relevent to my solid outer ring type rims. maybe i'm missing something here?

One rep sent me to a Jack Furrier tire center who agreed to do my rims , mount , dismount and balance my rims for 50 bucks each. That too seems a bit pricey and defeats the whole purpose of obtaining the tools and doing it my self. I'm trying to avoid these costs and antics of being at the mercy of others, especially out on the trail.200 bucks would also cost more than the tools I need if they even exist.

so I' back to square one with one more conundrum thrown into the mix. A friend who bust tires on the road pointed out to me that one of my rim's rings is damaged....because sombody in the past used the wrong tools to try to pry it off the rim and damaged it.

I have a service manual for my 72. It covers servicing the rim/ tire. but does not deal with solid rims like what are on my 68. also the images of those repro service manuals are really bad. I dont yet have a 68 service manual. do they ackowlege the solid rim and how to service it?

I'm not giving up on the two piece rim drama. Others keep telling me to go with the steel one piece rims and that would also solve the problem searching for 68 hubcaps. but that all defeats the purpse of keeping it all origonal. plus I am still at the mercey of the tire shops.

anybody doing 67-68 style two piece rims?

Got to love it.

Last edited by mike16; 09-14-2015 at 09:58 PM.
Old 09-14-2015, 10:15 PM   #10
chiefcfd

My NAPA has every tool to do this. The 2 piece solid ring is a little harder than the split ring. The bead has to be broken down with a tire hammer, then the ring will be loose. There is a notch on the inner part of the ring. Insert the proper tool in the notch and pry it over the wheel. Sometimes a hammer will help get the ring over the wheel. If the ring is distorted it need to be replaced as it will not lock properly.
chiefcfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 10:42 PM   #11
sodly

Keep the faith! Sometimes original trucks demand OEM equipment! Mine's a 66 but I had no trouble having (radial) tires mounted on my lock ring wheels locally at a truck shop. I think they charged me $35 per wheel. An extra 10 bucks per wheel over standard one-piece wheels. Of course, you'll need tubes and flaps, too. It ain't cheap.... but it looks right.
Attached Images

Custom Camper Club-- Own a 65-66 Custom Camper? Join us at: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/g...hp?groupid=117
sodly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 02:40 AM   #12
mike16

sodly

yours rim picture shows a "split rim" where the outer ring is split. those are easy and tools are avalable. Ken tools got you covered. Ken tool rep at one location I went to was like 20 years old and could not answer a single question I asked him , nice as could be but could not answer a single question. I asked him hif the older guy working the counter might know anything and he said no. The other Ken tool rep at the other location location was much more helpful and simpathetic but clearly did not know his stuff either. I wonder if Ken tools realise how this customer support hurts thier business.

my outer ring is a solid ring and is not split. I went to NAPA and they could not even show me pictures of the tools in there catologe of ANY split rim tire tools. The counter person was inept idiot and not the one guy who normally knows what he's doing.

radial tires flaps and tubes are no biggie. its trying to get a paying customer hooked up with a knowlegable tool rep to sell them tools. Its the Bozo's in the middle who need to step aside.It amazes me that some ignorant young kid thinks he alone can give me advice and if he cant; to maybe ask the other much older employee for assitance. His solution was to say ..very nicely and without malice, sorry we cant help you. and send me away after I drove 100 mile to spend money in there store.its just too crazy how companies think they are saving money by having an uneducated workforce represent them to the customer.

any way , two piece rims, solid ring, tire tools. slots here and there. prying and praying.
I have not given up hope. I cant believe braking down tires has become another one of those lost arts.

Maybe somebody in china could do it

sodly, your also right about the good looks aspect of two piece rims.I noticed your outer rings are silver.Thats what I was going to do with mine. a "trim ring" as it were.pretty cool looking

Last edited by mike16; 09-15-2015 at 02:45 AM.
Old 09-15-2015, 04:29 AM   #13
mrolds88

Mike, I think you have the pickup version of an RH5 rim. They are used on the medium duty trucks. They have picked up the nickname of widowmakers over the years. I understand your need for originality. If it were me, I would keep the wheels you have and find a set of stock correct 1 piece wheels to run. That way, if you would ever have an issue out on the road and needed a tire swapped, you would have a way to get back home.
87 K10 Suburban Sold
93 K2500 xcab 6.5TD
96 GMC K2500 Suburban 6.5 TD
mrolds88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 07:01 AM   #14
72kool

If you are still looking for the tools to change split rims, Napa does carry the tools you will need. I can get you all the part numbers if you would like.
72kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 07:47 AM   #15
chiefcfd

I understand you have the solid locking ring. There are several different styles of rings and split rims. The tools are the same, whether it be a 15" or a 22" semi tire. By the way the bigger ones are a little easier. They have more room to give. You can change any of these with a tire hammer and 2 tire spoons. Usually one end is fairly straight and the other has a curve. On one end you need a bend of almost 90 degrees. These spoons will be approximately 5/8 inch wide on the tip. I hope you can find what you need.
chiefcfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 07:29 PM   #16
mike16

good nes and bad news.

Yes the tools are available, From Ken tools and from NAPA.

Correct tools will do you no good if you dontknow what you are doing

These rims have the reputation of being called the "widow maker". perhaps it is justified but I suspect the damange is caused by inept tire gorilla's who damage the outer ring trying to separate it without knowing really how to. In all fairness, it does not become appearent until after you have taken the first one apart and most likely damaged it. what is worse is putting it back together for the next poor sucker to take it apart.And what are the chances he knows what he is doing. Both parts of my rim show scars from damage caused by several cycles of abuse.

I watched a tire guy brake down my rim in a very brutal way. it was already damaged from improper disassembly in the past but had it been a good ring he bent it up and twisted it all out of shape. these pictures represent the type of rim I refer to, not a split rim but certainly a two piece rim.
Attached Images

Last edited by mike16; 09-15-2015 at 07:46 PM.
Old 09-15-2015, 07:44 PM   #17
mike16

On a happier note I would like to show some images of markings fount on the outer ring.

The images are pretty much self explainitory except the second to the last one, it may be some inspectors mark?

My truck was purchased new in april of 68 and the date code on this ring is 1-68 .

I have not cleaned up and inspected the rim itself and if so those pictures will follow.
Attached Images

Old 09-15-2015, 07:45 PM   #18
68panelman

I've broke down a few on my 1942 Chevy 1.5 ton, which are 20" splits with chain/ prybars. Getting the ring off was the easy part, when the 60 yr old tires are rusted to the rim, that's the real pita. I drove over them to break the bead to no avail, and used my 30 ton log splitter to finally separate them.
68panelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 07:54 PM   #19
mike16

Ok lets look at some of the current and past damage done to these rings by inept muppets who believe brute force is the only answer to something trying to kill them.

also look again at the ring image in my previos post. You will note that the outer diameter of the ring is round whil the inner diameter seems shaped more like an oval. that is not an optical illusion or damage. it is infact round on the outside and oval shaped on the inside. . Also look at the single slot and its relation to the separate dimensions of the inner oval shape. Knowing this relationship and perhaps marking your own ring accordingly will assist you in dismounting your own rims without destroying the ring.
Attached Images

Old 09-15-2015, 08:08 PM   #20
mike16

in this last set of images I show both sides of the ring and the current damage done to it by gorilla's who dont understand how the oval shape of the inner diameter allows the ring to fit over the rim...with very little force. Using the right width of spoon or pry bar in that slot will eliminate this damage shown. Again note the relationship of the slot in the ring to the wider dimension of the oval diameter of the ring and you can begin to under stand how the ring fits over the rim,where the slot is in relation to the oval and really and most important , how little force is actually needed to ease the ring over the rim. I'm going to locate the correct tools and then clean up my rim and remount the tires and I hope it will become appearent the relationship of the ring slot the inner oval diameter of the ring and the rim is.

If any reader gets this far, its a good idea to sand blast prime and paint the ring and rim befor reassembly. I cannot recommend powdercoating the rims because you will be chipping it of everytime you pry on the rim for any reason.

I dont think the rim itself is dangeous. I dont think the brake down/ build up procedure is dangerous. I think most problems occur because of damage inflicted on the ring by tire busters who dont know how these types of rims come apart..

look closely at these images and you will see dmage that should never have had to occur.

This more than anything is why I would rather do my own rims.
Attached Images

Last edited by mike16; 09-15-2015 at 08:14 PM.
Old 09-15-2015, 08:19 PM   #21
mike16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68panelman View Post
I've broke down a few on my 1942 Chevy 1.5 ton, which are 20" splits with chain/ prybars. Getting the ring off was the easy part, when the 60 yr old tires are rusted to the rim, that's the real pita. I drove over them to break the bead to no avail, and used my 30 ton log splitter to finally separate them.
I have resorted to using a Milwakee sawzall to litteraly cut the tire off the rim. '42 powerwagon with combat rims.
Old 09-15-2015, 08:42 PM   #22
68panelman

Tough call though, are replacement rings still available?. I remember airing up with clip on Chuck, 50' of hose with a ball valve to seat them up then down.
68panelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 08:47 PM   #23
factorystock

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrolds88 View Post
Mike, I think you have the pickup version of an RH5 rim.
I'm afraid your thinking is incorrect. These are the myths that get spread around when mulit piece rims are discussed. The RH 5 is a different design entirely, RH 5's are connected together in the center of rim, only used on 1 1/2 ton dually trucks, which indeed was dubbed widowmaker and a bad design.
factorystock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 08:54 PM   #24
factorystock

Sodly's rims are the much more common 16" lock rim wheels (with split) manufactured by Goodyear, Mike16 Firestone lock rim wheels have the continuous ring ( unsplit ). Unfortunately, the Firestone design takes much more effort ( and prone to more damage) to remove and install than the Goodyear design.
factorystock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 11:18 PM   #25
sodly

mike16, can you show us a photo of the wheels you're dealing with? Is it a 3 piece? I thought all 3/4 ton wheels when to the split ring design like mine by 66.... and surely by 68. Why are your wheels the (presumably) older style? Maybe factorystock can explain it.

Hey, let's see the survivor truck, too!

Custom Camper Club-- Own a 65-66 Custom Camper? Join us at: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/g...hp?groupid=117
sodly is offline   Reply With Quote