The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-23-2006, 08:50 AM   #1
55 chevy guy

wind noise around doors?

Got a 55 chevy truck I've just got out of the paint shop. The guy re-adjusted the door to fit and added new rubber. The truck has always had lots of wind noise coming in from the top of the doors. I had added extra strips of rubber in the past to try and seal off the wind---didn't help much... The guy at the paint shop did a great job lining the door to match the curves on the outside body design but still have the blooming loud sound. Maybe that's the way it is??? Do any of you have a fit for this problem? I've had this truck for over six years and probably gonna keep it but would like to enjoy a little quieter cab. Might need to listen to some music or someone talkin'.

Thanks for reading.
Gary
55 chevy guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 09:08 AM   #2
Apache

Re: wind noise around doors?

My grandpa's 59 has the same wind noise that comes from the top of the doors. His weatherstriping is old though, but yours shouldnt be doing it with new rubber and all. My 58 does it a little but not that bad, plus I have new weatherstriping set in my room that I havent put on yet.
58 Chevy LWB 235/4spd
76 Chevy Nova 350/TH350 4.88's *10kmiles on "new" engine
79 Chevy 4x4 SWB 350/4spd 3/4 ton
81 Mazda RX7
84 F@!d Mustang
96 F@!d Ranger 2.3L/5spd
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 01:29 PM   #3
55 chevy guy

Thanks for the infor. Maybe when the seals seat it will be better. Here's some pictures of my project. Haven't updated the folder yet with the finished product.

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...6620&members=1
Old 05-23-2006, 01:39 PM   #4
Jebb1978

Mine has 1 ton has the noise too and the weather stip is in pretty good shape. It is tolerable. My Half to did it really bad but the rubber was shot.

Nice looking truck! I love that A/C nice and clean, almost didn't notice it. Welcome to the board.
Shawn

Old 06-16-2006, 10:55 PM   #5
entourageguy
Yellow truck club

My doors look lined up as well and I can see daylight out the top front corner of each door!!! I try to turn up the stereo but it won't go loud enough

Brian ......

My hub garage address
http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/59apache
I gue$$ everything has it'$ price
ALL GONE NOW

59 Chev Apache
PRAISE THE LOWERED
350 700r lokar shifter
power MII front end, shockwaves
tilt, 4 wheel discs
4-link and bags
10 bolt limited
entourageguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 03:59 PM   #6
poncho_villa

I know this is an old topic, but a solution still needs to be found. I have the same situation as Entourageguy and 55 Chevy guy. The rubber is all new and I get little noise around town, but on the highway it's very loud. I have concidered installing a second windlacing along the inner edge of the door opening, but do not want to make a mess. Anybody with the same concern?
poncho_villa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 06:10 PM   #7
entourageguy
Yellow truck club

When I took my truck into the body shop for some touch-ups the body guy placed rubber tubing from windshield washer or vaccum lines between the rubber and door.. This seemed to help a lot by moving the weatherstrip toward the cab a bit. The tubing comes in different sizes as well.
Brian ...

Brian ......

My hub garage address
http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/59apache
I gue$$ everything has it'$ price
ALL GONE NOW

59 Chev Apache
PRAISE THE LOWERED
350 700r lokar shifter
power MII front end, shockwaves
tilt, 4 wheel discs
4-link and bags
10 bolt limited
entourageguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 07:03 PM   #8
poncho_villa

See!! There ya go. A nice, simple, easy solution. I like it. It probably takes a little trial and error to get it right, but do-able. Anybody else with any ideas?
poncho_villa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 08:01 PM   #9
watahyahknow

i used a trick on weatherseals that where yust plain ripped up (usually truncklidseals):
i used black silecone sealand and layed down a thick bead over the rubber (clean and scuff up the old rubber before doing that ), i then sprayed over a bit of soapy water to stop it sticking and put a bit of kitchenfoil on it .
then close the door and alow it to cure fully before opening the door again and peel of the foil

idea's for the trucks and the order of things to do are taking shape and get closer to being realized , a few more months and i be able to start building for real

i complete 2 of the trucks intoo running fashion one custom and one basicly stock the thirth will be sacrificed for parts
watahyahknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 02:37 PM   #10
solidaxel

I had the same problem with my 55 1st series, but it was only in spots at the top of the door with new inside and outside w/strip.
I located the two spots that were not hitting the cab and they were in the area of the division bar. I removed the glass and vent glass held the door open with a 2x4 and proceeded to BEND the top of the door frame in the area that was in question. Replaced the glass and removed all the extra weatherstripping and now everything fits and seals. Try closing a paper shop towle between the door and cab in various places and see if you can remove it. this will tell you where it is high and low, bend to fit without the glass. It worked for me
53 TuTone Extended Cab 350 4-Spd 3:08 (SOLD)
53 Chevy Moldy pearl green ZZ-4 4L60E 9" 3:25
55 GMC 1st Black Mll (ZZ4) ZZ6 TKO 600 5 sp 3:73
62 Solidaxle Corvette Roman Red (327
340hp 4spd 3:36) C4 & C5 suspension tube chassis
LS 3 4L70E
65 Corvette Coupe 327 350hp 4spd 4:11
78 Black Silverado SWB (350/350) 5.3 & 4L60E 3:42
2000 S-Type 3.0 (wife cruiser)
2003 GMC SCSB 5.3 4L60E 3:42
solidaxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 06:22 PM   #11
watahyahknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidaxel View Post
I had the same problem with my 55 1st series, but it was only in spots at the top of the door with new inside and outside w/strip.
I located the two spots that were not hitting the cab and they were in the area of the division bar. I removed the glass and vent glass held the door open with a 2x4 and proceeded to BEND the top of the door frame in the area that was in question. Replaced the glass and removed all the extra weatherstripping and now everything fits and seals. Try closing a paper shop towle between the door and cab in various places and see if you can remove it. this will tell you where it is high and low, bend to fit without the glass. It worked for me
i visited the volkswagenfactory once when i was still in highschool they used the same method on new doors to get them to fit correctly , they bend the post in in first then fiddle it back out by stickin in a piece of wood in the doorframe and shutting the door slowly , they did this right before paint

idea's for the trucks and the order of things to do are taking shape and get closer to being realized , a few more months and i be able to start building for real

i complete 2 of the trucks intoo running fashion one custom and one basicly stock the thirth will be sacrificed for parts
watahyahknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 11:45 AM   #12
55 chevy guy

Thanks guys for bringing this back up. I've still got this loud noise going down the highway. I've talked to folks down here but no good ideas. May try the shop towel thing. The tubing between the rubber and door frame sounds interesting--may give it a shoot. My truck seems to be an ongoing project of different issues. Guess that what restoring is all about. I appreciate the feedback...

Gary