The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-31-2007, 11:33 AM   #1
79blazer

Collapsible steering shaft?

I am trying to replace my Rag joint in my 1979 2wd Blazer and once I unbolt the 2 bolts to the steering shaft it would not collapse. It looks like it should. (It does on my other Chevy an 85 caprice!) Is there something I am forgetting? I would prefer not to remove the steering box because that is a PITA. thanks
Old 01-31-2007, 11:30 PM   #2
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Re: Collapsible steering shaft?

Yes, it collapses but you would need to drag out the smoke wrench to melt the vinyl sheer point plugs between the upper and lower sections, which I would not recommend doing.

You shouldn’t need to fully remove the gear box. Remove all the bolts but leave one loosely holding the box to the frame so you can wiggle it around enough to sneak the rag joint off the gear box input shaft and intermediate shaft. It can be done.

Good luck and have fun.
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 02:50 AM   #3
ghetto_superman

A little motivation from your favorite big hammer will get that shaft to collapse...
Old 02-01-2007, 10:26 AM   #4
79blazer

Thanks. Motivation with a 3 foot crow bar got the job done without breaking the vinyl plug. The fire wall flexes... but I didn't hurt it. Oh life is much better now. The quarter of a turn of the steering wheel play is gone. I also adjusted the bolt on top. Tightened it then backed up a half turn. I have heard there's another adjusting bolt elsewhere on the steering box but can't find it. Is there one?
Old 02-01-2007, 01:24 PM   #5
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

I think you are talking about adjusting the worm gear in the gear box. Be careful, as you can do more harm than good by adjusting that. It doesn’t take much to go to far then the truck will not return to center as you make turns and it will steer touchy as hell.

It is not really a bolt to adjust the worm gear. There is a set screw in the aluminum pitman shaft cap that is visible from under the hood near the radiator support. You will need a wrench and hex key to adjust it. Proceed with caution.
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote