The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-21-2002, 01:05 AM   #1
super72bb

Post PICS A GREAT INVESTMENT!

You know its funny, I have restored 2 1972 Chev trucks now and I have being a total fanatic for the last 14 years. I am currently working on my third. Whenever someone asks me about these trucks the question always seem to surface "what pickup is the most desirable out of these years?" Now maybe some guys may beg to differ.... "longhornmail" but for the most part a 1972 Cheyenne Super, Short Fleetside, Air conditioned Big Block 2 or 4 wheel drive is a pretty special truck.

Over the last five years the growing popularity of these trucks has increased ten fold. Now we all know that a #'s matching truck of that as described above, is so very rare. I think in the last 14 years I have only seen a couple that were apparently #'s trucks, but I didn't run the numbers to see for sure.

Having that said, this is the great thing about these trucks. I dont ever see them getting like say for instance, Corvette's or Mustang's. Matching #'s will never be as important.

So for the lack of a better word a "clone" will bring alot of money if the restoration is done right. After all what is it that you are buying in the end. Clone or no clone if you put two trucks exactly the same side by side 1) a #'s matching truck with all cheap aftermarket parts and 2) a "clone" with all genuine Gm. parts which one would be the better truck?
So we know that #'s matching is not so important, something that is often overlooked is photo's. Did you know there is very few "well documented restorations" to be found anywhere. Save all of your reciepts and take lots of pictures that show your extra care and money you put in because TALK IS CHEAP. I think that over the next five years that we may not see so much emphasis put on #'s but, alot put on documentation.

Just my opinion. super72bb

My build thread:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post7120181
super72bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2002, 01:14 AM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

lol, nothing wrong with a swb...I have one now and like it. But yes...I prefer the freak truck with a ghetto bootie.

------------------
'69 G.M.C. 350/350. Trying to clean up the left over damage from the Dope-Smokin-Old-Man
I've been dubbed the Longhorn Freak/Fanatic/Expert, I just hope I can live up to it.
Need to pick up the one ton Longhorn with a PONTIAC 350/350soon.
Thanks every one!
Check out The Longhorn Webite.
If you need a pic posted, E-mail me at longhornmail@yahoo.com
Andy, in Columbus Ohio

Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2002, 01:20 AM   #3
imdarren

Super,
Good thoughts. I'm just getting into these trucks (See my signature), and am becoming infected at a fast rate. I was laid off from a good paying job in September (in the "high tech" industry), and had to sell our 99 GMC Suburban SLT (All options) with 20K miles on it for $24,000. Thats a $20,000 depreciation in about 2 years. I'M DONE WITH THAT!! Most of these (67-72) trucks sold for under $5,000 NEW!! And a 72 as you described would bring 10 to 15 thousand dollars now! I want a truck that holds it's value! And that is what I have now. My name is Darren. And I'm an addict!!

------------------
Darren
Washougal, Washington
darrengale67@hotmail.com

1972 GMC C1500 (Bone Stock)

Saving / Looking for a 72 SWB 4X4 Or 2WD Automatic with little or no rust.

[This message has been edited by imdarren (edited March 21, 2002).]

1967 Chevy C10 LWB Rodstoration In Progress.
1972 K20 Cheyenne Super
imdarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2002, 08:44 AM   #4
ebfabman

Another thing I think is cool about these trucks is that there are enough of em to give people who like to have them "their way" can do some tasteful modifications to them and still not trash the truck or its value. And as for now at least, parts are everywhere, which makes them fun to work on.

While I have a soft spot for purity, but some of the mods I've seen done to these trucks over the years are pretty dam cool.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if GM took a good look at the popularity of these trucks and does a "retro" thing. Even so they wouldn't be cheap.
ebfabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2002, 08:45 AM   #5
pierce

I was riding in a freinds new $38K Chevy crew cab 4x4 and I was shocked when he said he wished he would have got a 70-72 and put $10K into upgrading it rather than have his truck. He thought they looked alot better than the new ones too.

------------------
72 Chevy Blazer
69 GMC Longhorn
37 Chevy Coupe
pics at http://home.fuse.net/pierce
Cincinnati, OH

[This message has been edited by pierce (edited March 21, 2002).]
Old 03-21-2002, 09:26 AM   #6
johnnyp
Keepin' It Stock

Super72, I agree with the documentation. I've got about as much time in documenting the restoration on my web site as I have in the actual restoration work. The web site also lists every cent I've spent to-date on the restoration. I was also lucky to find one of those #matching pickups to restore.

------------------
72 Sierra Grande - "Maych"
sierraG on some boards

If a man speaks in the middle of a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Forget about "do it right the first time". Do it wrong the first time to learn how, then do it right the second time.

Maych Home Page

Forget about "do it right the first time". Do it wrong the first time to learn how, then do it right the second time.
johnnyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 12:12 AM   #7
Chevyland

Re: PICS A GREAT INVESTMENT!

Things look pretty much the same ?
After

15 years
Chevyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 06:57 AM   #8
clay68c10

Yes indeed they do. Maybe the only thing that changed is more popularity for all the years, especially 67-68s.
05 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. 3” lift & 6-speed
02 E320 the insurance total “free car”
13 Tahoe LTZ
clay68c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 02:44 PM   #9
Ekliptix

I'm trying to make the truck you've described:
Originally: 1972 SWB Super, factory AC. 350/350, bench, tilt.
Now: Same but with a 402BB, 700R4, etc.
Later: I'd ideally like a saddle brown interior with buckets. Running rally wheels now, but would like some original style hubcaps.
Drivetrain: Built 402BB, TCI Streetfighter 700R4, 2,500 stall, Eaton posi, 3.73. Suspension/Chassis: ECE 4.5/6.5 drop, CPP nitrogen shocks, CPP front and rear sway bar, CPP cross members. Exhaust: 3" exhaust with x-pipe, Spintech 3000 mufflers, Hooker ceramic coated headers. Best 1/4 mile time: TBD.
Ekliptix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 03:06 PM   #10
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

I agree... too many cats get hung up on "numbers matching" for these old rigs. It adds no significant value other than showing that it could be the original engine. There were no specialty engine packages for high performance or anything for these trucks. As long as the date code and suffix code is correct for that year, the engine could be from anywhere.

However, making sure the frame number matches the cab number is important if you ask me. Too many hack jobs have been passed off as legit when it's not the same frame that is documented on the title.

An old codger that sold a lot of old cars and trucks from a run down shop in the town I live in now once told me that, "Sentimental value to a buyer means nothing." That has stuck in my head for a long time.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 04:46 PM   #11
FirstOwner69

In general, I agree. I doubt original restorations of these trucks will ever reach the stature of original Vettes, Mustangs, Camaros, Chevelles, etc. However, I am beginning to disagree to some extent regarding VALUES of Corvettes, Mustangs, Camaros, Chevelles, etc., which are not necessarily orginal.

I restored a 1958 Corvette that I took all the way to the NCRS Duntov (judged at 98.96) and Bloomington Gold awards. Sure, it's probably worth north of $100,000, but in recent years, numbers matching NCRS Vettes, unless they are truly unique, have often been outsold by very well done resto mods. Example: https://azure.barrett-jackson.com/Ev...ERTIBLE-213320

I went through the original vs. slightly modified debate when I started the restoration of my loaded low mile (118,713 miles) original owner (me) 1969 CST/20. The truck is fully documented with the Protecto-O-Plate, original sales contract, all dealer performed service and virtually every gallon of gas consumed. I'm 100% sure the truck was original and pretty much rust free in 2010 when I started the project except for some paint and body work, a replacement water pump, re-cored radiator, alternator, exhaust (but still a single pipe), and driver side head. The truck was equipped with bucket seats, 350, A/C, AM radio, power brakes (added by dealer as a condition of sale), power steering, camper wiring, HD suspension parts, etc. My decision was to make modifications which would utilize correct parts for this generation of truck, but not necessarily available until 1970-1972, or to make changes that could be fairly easily reverted to original.

The result is that I totally disassembled the truck and had the body parts professionally refinished in the original color.

While the body work was being done, I:
1) Collected and restored nice-to-have generation correct add-ons such as:
- AM/FM
- Shoulder belts
- Tilt wheel
- Full gauges with tach. (a CST truck that only had idiot lights?)
- Rear sport bumper (original was an after market telescoping step bumper for a camper)
- Factory inside rear view mirror (an option on 1969, at least on 3/4 tons)
2) Restored the frame and all other non-wear parts
3) Replaced all wear parts (brakes, suspension, etc.)
4) Decided to finish and install a fancy varnished Mar-K wood oak bed floor with stainless strips rather than painted pine
5) Purchased a GM Performance 350HO Deluxe engine with Vortec heads which required some A/C bracket redesign (still have the original 350)
6) Purchased some Hummer H2 chrome wheels (have the original 16.5 restored wheels and caps)
7) Purchased, but did not install a disc brake front suspension from a '72. Drums work great!

When the body work was done, they picked up the rolling chassis with drivetrain, core support, and exhaust installed and returned it with the cab mounted. I picked up the remaining body parts and completed the reassembly.

Why did I choose this route? Partly because I'd owned the truck since new and wanted to see it returned to new condition with some additional creature comforts that were period correct. This will be a fair weather truck only, and I felt I'd enjoy it more and that it'd be more valuable to me this way.... AND IT IS!!

As noted above, I've kept all important parts and all mods are fairly easily reversed.

Regarding the original poster's comment about photos. A lot has changed since he posted this in 2002. Hell, digital cameras weren't too common in 2002 much less phones that take pictures. I bet I have fewer than 100 pictures of the Corvette restoration which I did using the same process as the truck. I have over 2000 pictures in the truck file. So, by all means, document everything with pictures.

Sorry for the long, rambling response to such a simple question!

Last edited by FirstOwner69; 04-25-2018 at 05:27 PM.
FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 08:18 PM   #12
Johoevasmatrix

I got a 72 now was looking for and really like the 64. But the factory upgrades from the 64 to 68 were too good to pass up. Then the truck I found with the shape it was in for the money dictated my purchase. So compared to a modern truck I can go through 4 of these for the price of a modern truck.... oh 3 days after buying my fuel pump went out cost me $20 to get it back on the road......
Johoevasmatrix is offline   Reply With Quote