The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-25-2018, 11:07 PM   #1
Tork?

DIY redline tires with pics

Making some over all changes to the look of my truck and I like the redline tire look. But redline tires from Coker, BFG, or Diamondback are more than I want to spend on an experiment. So I got these from tirestickers.com. They seem to be the only company offering a quality redline kit. I ordered their tireshine and line cleaner as well since its the same cost as at the store anyways. All in it was around $180 so not the cheapest visual mod but a fraction of getting new tires.

Tires are 205/75/15 Walmart specials. They're whitewalls on one side so there's a nice line to follow on the blackwall side that makes logical sense in the positions. I took my measurements per the site and ordered the kit. These are the 1 piece permanent 3/8" redline kit.

I brought a wheel with on a business trip to have something to do at the hotel. First step is cleaning the area with acetone to help it adhere. then apply a light coat of the supplied "FleXement" it's probably just rubber cement. The redlines are built with a contoured curve to match the measurements you gave them. They go on very easily.
Attached Images

Tork? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 11:09 PM   #2
Tork?

Re: DIY redline tires with pics

The redline is made a few inches long so no worries there. Still need to clean the line but i think it looks pretty good! Time will tell how they hold up they'll probably be fine since I barely drive it. I'm going to paint the wheels I will update with pics when that happens.
Attached Images

Old 04-26-2018, 08:17 AM   #3
brown7373

I wonder how they will hold up if used and driven. I used to do redlines over top of whitewalls using a red tire paint marker. I don't think you can get red anymore, but they held up fines for months, then I cleaned the tires and redid them. If this method will hold up, I might try it.
Attached Images

brown7373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 08:47 AM   #4
hewittca

That looks really good! I was thinking about what mine would look like with red or white lines and this seems like a good way to try it out.
-
C10 Concept/Development Photos: Master Thread
hewittca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 08:51 AM   #5
special-K
Special Order

Looks good. I also hope they hold up to the constant flex of radial sidewalls. I know a tire with whitewalls or letter has a layer of white throughout. A friend years ago had a machine for routing out anything you wanted the sidewall to say... Badyear...Firebone...Stop looking at my tires ...anything. Then he could do colors, too. He could cut whitewalls and do redlines, too. I don't think his business got far off the ground, but such capabilities are encouraging. The only off the shelf redlines I've seen (haven't looked lately) were small OEM size. I have talked to DB about making me wide radial 3/8" (came as reline and wide oval whitewalls) whitewalls for my shortbed's 8" red steelies I'll put wheel covers on, for that old man but wide track look

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 10:48 AM   #6
Faastone27

Looks pretty good It's tough to get a perfect circle even with the guide line. You did pretty well! I can see the looks you got as your carrying it through the hotel lobby! lol! let us know how it holds up! i too thought about doing redlines on my 22" and 20" setup on my red truck but decided it would be to much red.
Faastone27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 11:22 AM   #7
davepl

Looks good in photos! FWIW, I've had redline radials (the new ones that LOOK like bias ply) on back order from Coker for about 7 months now!
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 01:22 PM   #8
demian5

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!
1983 K2500 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2
Instagram: C10sofOC
demian5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 03:26 PM   #9
Tork?

A little teaser. MarK full trim arrives this week.
Attached Images