The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-09-2021, 11:11 AM   #1
tsmith8

DPP Dropped Axle

Is anyone running the CPP dropped axle? If so, what other parts make your system work? Tie rods, steering link?

I know Sid does all the modifications for it but being in canada and having to pay shipping both directions it will cost $350USD or more. Transfer that to Canadian dollars, it adds up.

Considering going CPP dropped tubular axle but need to figure out clearance of Tie rod to leaf springs.

Appreciate any help. Thank you.
tsmith8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 01:31 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: DPP Dropped Axle

I don't think Sid's core charge is that bad. Far less than shipping from Canada.

Personally I don't like the CPP or Speedway dropped axles as they look way too much like a trailer axle. 419 US without any discounts (that is current factory list price http://www.cpptalk.com/ShopTalkSite/st33.html Isn't exactly cheap.

I'm thinking that Sids also sells the modified steering arms outright with a core charge.

You can buy a good king pin kit locally and have a local automotive machine shop fit the bushings if you get the ones with metal bushings.

Outside of looks the main thing I like about factory I beam axles be they Chevy, Ford Dodge or what ever and stock or dropped is that while you may bend one you won't break one. When I got in a wreck with my 48 in 1975 or 76 the passenger side end of the axle got bent at a 90 degree angle from the impact but didn't break or crack. I could actually have taken it to Waco Spring ( I was living in McGregor, Tx at the time) and had them straighten it. My buddy found me an axle for 10 or 20 dollars along with the other pieces we needed to fix it.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 01:49 PM   #3
tsmith8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
I don't think Sid's core charge is that bad. Far less than shipping from Canada.

Personally I don't like the CPP or Speedway dropped axles as they look way too much like a trailer axle. 419 US without any discounts (that is current factory list price http://www.cpptalk.com/ShopTalkSite/st33.html Isn't exactly cheap.

I'm thinking that Sids also sells the modified steering arms outright with a core charge. .
The issue is i need to mail mine to Sid's ($175US) and then ship it from him to me (another $175US).

With the border closed, i can't even drive across to get better shipping rates. So i am an easy $350US just in shipping fees. That comes out to about $442 Canadian in shipping.
Old 03-09-2021, 02:12 PM   #4
mr48chev

Contact them and see what their core charge is. I'm thinking the core charge was right around 60.00 US less than shipping for most folks here in the US.

I understand the shipping cost thing.

Before the Pandemic thing an acquaintance who had a shop in Blaine Wa would receive parts for guys in BC who would drive across the border to pick them up. He charged a small fee for it but it was just enough to pay his workers for handling the packages at the time not a real money maker.

77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
Old 03-09-2021, 02:27 PM   #5
tsmith8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
Contact them and see what their core charge is. I'm thinking the core charge was right around 60.00 US less than shipping for most folks here in the US.

I understand the shipping cost thing.

Before the Pandemic thing an acquaintance who had a shop in Blaine Wa would receive parts for guys in BC who would drive across the border to pick them up. He charged a small fee for it but it was just enough to pay his workers for handling the packages at the time not a real money maker.
Talked to Sid yesterday, No cores, just exchange after they receive your axle.

Not enough stock.
Old 03-09-2021, 06:09 PM   #6
mr48chev

That could happen right now when so many people are building rigs because they have a lot more time to do involved projects than they normally might.

As for myself I'd rather spend the money than have a junky looking axle.