The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-21-2001, 05:17 PM   #1
badass67

Wink FRONT DISK BRAKE CHANGE

I have a 67 short bed, I will be replacing the old drum brakes for disk brakes. I went to the local yard and found a clean 78, I removed the spindles with the lines and rotors. Also the tie rods. But not the arms or ball joints. I already have power brakes with the proportionong valve working fine, hoever I also took the boster and the master cylinder from the 78, it looks much better than mine!
I called my local classic truck restorer and he said that the 6 lug rotors from the new disk brake kits they sale will work fine to replace the factory 78 5 lugs, also said to buy new ball joints to match the 78 spindels.
I am getting myself in deep water? or I should be able to do this in a fairly easy way? I just read on the board that it looks like I won't be able to remove the lower ball joint? or install the new one?
Any great Ideas? what should I do tomorrow when I start this project? Please advise!!!!

John
badass67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2001, 08:03 PM   #2
CDN_GS455

Hey John, I just did this exact swap on my '68. I got a complete frame clip from a farmer who made a trailer out of the box. I used the lower control arms, spindles, rotors, calipers, complete tie rod/centerlink assembly, brake hoses, and stabilizer bar. Had to buy new upper ball joints and brake pads. You don't have to remove the lower ball joints, as it's easier to use the complete lower contol arm ( only 2 u-bolts through the cross member) Good luck!

Brian

I AM CANADIAN!!! Go Oilers!
CDN_GS455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2001, 01:18 AM   #3
Fast68Chevy
Account Suspended

balljoint interchangeability:

63-70
upper- all same
lower all same

71-72
upper, different from 63-70
lower, also different from 63-70

73-80
upper different from 71-72 upper
lower, same as 71-72

I would at least swap the lower arms or preferably the whole entire front cradle to be safe, because there is steering bumpstop location issues on the different lower arms, part numbers changed for each year era group.

Ive planned out how im oding this to the 68 panel, im gonna find a 71 or 72 bare cradle (because there are no modifications of the mounting frame holes needed),
Gonna find a '73-'80 for the arms(newer style shafts and bushings) and spindles(easy to find)
The upper arms are where the '73-up brake hoses clamp to, requires one hole to be drilled in the front side of the upper arm on pre-'73 arms) I think its the best routing for the hoses.

I have done the swap on a 68 by only swapping on 72 spindles and rotors and rods, and it ended up being horrible and alignment shops couldnt help me with the camber problems that resulted. Im not lowering the truck in front, so I cant go and get lowering spindles made to fit the 67-70 arms, so am gonna make a custom conversion

good luck, happy converting

------------------
Randy- Lincoln, IL
r68c30@hotmail.com

217 735 3230(probably wont be home)
-------------
Fleet, currently:
-68 panel delivery- in TX- on its way home soon !
-68 C-30 dually dump, playing musical engines/trannies with this one currently
-72 K5 chassis; mostly disassembled, swapping to 2wd front assembly
-77 Electra boatcar, driver
America and 68's rule !
r68c30@hotmail.com + MSN messenger + 24/7/365 = truck talk MSN messenger

Fast68Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote