The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-27-2017, 11:11 PM   #1
MASTERBrian

Rear Drum Brakes on 1960 Suburban

Right now I have the stock Eaton Axle on the rear of my '60 Burb. I'm trying to get the brakes rebuilt, but am proving to have a heck of a time finding the correct parts.

I went to O'Reilly earlier today, because I was sure I had looked once and they had everything....well, now I'm not so sure. The first clue should have been when he kept trying to look up stuff for a '70's C10, because that's what everything has to cross with. I swear he went up to an '80 trying to figure out if he could turn my drums. I finally found the drums in their system through my phone and we got the specs and I think I'm good there.

The drum(s) appears to be Part# 2005DGS - Mine seem to agree with this.
Specs
Outside Diameter (In): 12.36 Inch
Overall Height (In): 3.08 Inch
Bolt Pattern: 6 On 5-1/2 Inch
Bolt Circle Diameter (In): 5.500 Inch
Center Hole Size (In): 3.57 Inch
Discard Diameter (In): 11.087 Inch
Discard Diameter (mm): 281.6mm
Nominal Diameter (In): 11 Inch
Nominal Diameter (mm): 279.4mm
Number Of Bolt Holes: 6
Outside Diameter (mm): 314mm
Overall Height (mm): 78.17mm
Bolt Circle Diameter (mm): 139.7mm
Surface Depth (In): 2.40 Inch
ABS Sensor Ring Included: No
Center Hole Size (mm): 90.6mm
Material: G3000

Wheel Cylinders
Mine have two bolts and attach from the rear, they tried to sell me some that had one large hole at the top that goes over the stud the hardware goes over. What we settled on was Part# 13388 & 13387, but there also appears to be another totally different number available through LMC and Amazon. What gives?

Shoes
They sold me shoes, which look very close to same but are off of a 1967-75 C10 Suburban. Part # 280. Again, close, but not 100% exact. The ones that are listed for a 1960 are Part# 33, but they look to be even more different than what I have. Amazon lists some shoes with the part #228, but parts store can't cross that number, but Amazon shoes it to be correct for my year.

Hardware
The hardware they sold me, at 1st glance appeared to have matching pieces, but alas was different and I think crosses with a 70's C10. H2508, H7018 & H2509. I'm not finding anyone that lists the correct hardware, but there is some universal Hardware, but of course they say not in town. My hardware is pretty rusty, so I doubt I should trust the springs, thoughts? I'm hoping another parts store can mix and match the hardware parts.

Anyone have any experience or suggestions here? I have another axle off a '62, that's also an Eaton. I'll pull and compare, but my guess is mine's been frankensteined together, so who knows if the other one has. Got it from a board member, maybe I'll ask if he knows any history on it and it's parts.
MASTERBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 02:03 PM   #2
MASTERBrian

Re: Rear Drum Brakes on 1960 Suburban

Updating what I have found so far as I can't be the only one in this situation, but it's definitely making me see the silver lining in eventually finding a newer rear diff to swap out for!! *I think it's coming together for me, so maybe this will help someone else later down the road. I'll know for certain later tonight once everything is installed.

I've called LMC and looked at their catalog, I've tried CarID.com, I've also called a local Chevy Dealer Parts Dept.

LMC shows that based on my wheel cylinder type, I should have the 11 5/32 drum with the 2-3/4" shoes, but I think I have an 11" drum (not 100% on that, but that's was closer to what the O'Reilly guy came up with on his tape....I just thought the calipers were showing over 11". In any case they do show the same part # for the front and rear shoes. I just realized that.

Chevy gave me a part # of 3849026, which crosses on some sites, but haven't found it at O'Reilly and at this stage I want to visually compare. They did say it was a 2" wide shoe, but they can't get any longer.

CarID.com says they can cross the number but they don't have either...hmm, not sure because visually online it looks the same. Again, that's why I want to visually compare.

Just got back from trip number 3 on these with O'Reilly and I now have in my possession shoes part #228, which list as being for the front only on the 1960 Burb. Remember LMC says both the same, so feeling better about this. Visually they are a very close match and they are the exact same curvature of my drum. The Shoes Part #33, which it calls for on their site as being for the rear &/or front of these absolutely isn't the same curvature and they are longer, so they have in last 30min been taken out of the equation for me.

As for the hardware kit, I am now soaking all of my parts from front and rear brakes in solvent because I can't get an exact hardware kit, so IF I have to re-use anything I want it clean and ready to go for this evening. I did buy a kit from a 70's c10, so hopefully those kit(s) will at least get me the springs. The bars have no issues so I'll just re-use and possibly re-use my adjuster as well.

What a nightmare this can become, for something that should be so easy. If she's on the road (and safely) in the next week it'll all be worth it!
MASTERBrian is offline   Reply With Quote