The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-01-2014, 07:23 PM   #1
Tim's68

More on ride height

How low is to low when setting ride height? I understand that if I set it to low I will have wheel well issues, all that is gonna get change so no worries there. Does the frame got to level front to back or can it have a nice rake to it. If I ever get all my ducks in a row I plan on doing a back half for the pro street look, I have the Scotts Super Slam front suspension with bags, just got to make sure of things before i start cutting and welding.
Tim's68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 10:59 PM   #2
chevjayfsd
Project 7dos

Re: More on ride height

There is no too low for ride height. Just limiting factors... When you start to rub, that's too low. Nacho rides 1" off the ground, because it can.
20x8.5/20x10

Ride Low or Die
PSSST - Yes it's bagged.

7dos build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=610290
chevjayfsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:42 AM   #3
SCOTI

Too low is when it hits something.... that's also too late.

The pro builders would prob recommend 4-5" ride height (as measured from the lowest part of the vehicle) as it allows clearing most road irregularities w/o damage to the undercarriage. Chugging around a show/cruise can usually be done @ a lower height (or when demonstrating/showing off on video) but for normal road speed limits, the 4-5" standard is safer for everyone.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 08:58 PM   #4
Tim's68

Thanks for taking time to respond.That answers the ride height what about the rake of the chassis. I can install the Scotts front suspension with the frame raked as long as the crossmember is level side to side front to back. Right? Once the front is complete I can then narrow the rear frame rails, agin the frame raked.
Agin thanks for everyone's time. I'm not trying to ask stupid questions just making sure.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:52 PM   #5
RoadRat

I am with SCOTI 4 OR5 inches is safe. You do not have to drive around swerving trying to miss every little hiccup in the road. Of course you can ride lower and be safe but you have to drive accordingly.

As far as installing a Scotts front crossmember I think it would probably be hard to put the bolt in unit wrong, of course a weld in version I would want the frame to be completely level. Why are you narrowing the rear rails, Are you putting some big meats on the back?
RoadRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:53 AM   #6
stevencvn72
Kill Bill...et

There's no reason you wouldn't be able to ride around on bags with a rake if that's what your asking.

I Grease

'67 Chev stepper

http://youtu.be/38p_2Iu2fd0
stevencvn72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:24 PM   #7
Tim's68

Thanks all.
RoadRat, the front suspension is a weld in unit and yes I plan on MEAT's for the rear and that is why I will be narrowing the frame rails. My rear tires are the MT SSR 33X22X20 with 20X16 rims.
So, I should level the frame front to back side to side at ride height. to where I want the frontend to ride, then install the front suspension once completed level the frame once more front to back side to side to where I want the rear to ride and narrow the frame rails???????
Sorry guys.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:49 PM   #8
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim's68 View Post
Thanks all.
RoadRat, the front suspension is a weld in unit and yes I plan on MEAT's for the rear and that is why I will be narrowing the frame rails. My rear tires are the MT SSR 33X22X20 with 20X16 rims.
So, I should level the frame front to back side to side at ride height. to where I want the frontend to ride, then install the front suspension once completed level the frame once more front to back side to side to where I want the rear to ride and narrow the frame rails???????
Sorry guys.
No need to apologize. Asking questions to make educated decisions isn't asking 'dumb questions'. I would contact Scott's & seek their recommendations on setting the front suspension angle prior to welding the set-up in. Go to the source of your parts for best results.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote