The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-25-2012, 09:10 PM   #276
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Re: Project No-buck!

BTW, this is what I used when I hooked the serpentine setup to my 70 to make the alternator act right

ACDelco PN 8078 Adapter wire with resistor in it.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 12:00 AM   #277
Ackattack

Been driving the truck the last few days for work and around town afterwards. Should have to fill up tomorrow, so we'll see what the mileage is. I'm not expecting spectacular numbers with all the in town driving I've done.

I did get 3 compliments on the truck today, including one guy wanting to know how much I'd sell it for

Tonight I looked for an oil leak. I can smell oil burning (like on exhaust) when I'm decelerating. I looked the engine over and it all looked dry except for just a drop or two at the back of the oil pan. I tightened up the pan bolts just a little more, but I don't really think that is the problem. Guess we'll see.

Then I started cleaning up the wiring. The wiring in the "glovebox" area looked like a rats nest, so I got it taped up nicely and ready for some wiring covering tubing stuff. I also installed the glove box door.

Finally, I took a look at my cruise control switch. Cruise control isn't working cause the switch isn't working. I'm not sure if the switch was bad before I pulled it out of the donor truck or if when I welded it to the original shaft if the heat from welding melted something inside. Anyone know of a switch that will fit our columns, but has the proper GM cruise control switch on it (on my 68 I used a dakota digital switch and used some relays to get it to operate properly with the LSx drive by wire stuff).
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 09:51 PM   #278
Ackattack

Checked my mileage after the first tank, 15.5mpg not too bad, but not as good as I'd like. Right now my speedo is off, so I'm thinking the engine isn't going into its lean cruise mode. 75mph shows 53 on the speedo, so its off quite a bit.

Today I worked on charging the A/C system. The A/C compressor started locking up, so I got a new one. Hope to get it installed here shortly.

Also got some wiring stuff to hook up the cruise control with a custom switch setup using a toggle switch and two momentary switches. Also got some microswitches to disengage the system when I hit the brakes and/or clutch.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:11 PM   #279
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackattack View Post
Checked my mileage after the first tank, 15.5mpg not too bad, but not as good as I'd like. Right now my speedo is off, so I'm thinking the engine isn't going into its lean cruise mode. 75mph shows 53 on the speedo, so its off quite a bit.

Today I worked on charging the A/C system. The A/C compressor started locking up, so I got a new one. Hope to get it installed here shortly.

Also got some wiring stuff to hook up the cruise control with a custom switch setup using a toggle switch and two momentary switches. Also got some microswitches to disengage the system when I hit the brakes and/or clutch.
Cruise may not engage until about 43 mph with that much speedo error too. Normally it can work as low as 30 mph in the TBI vehicles I have owned.

Sounds like it's time for some speedo calibration too.
68 Camaro SS / RS 500hp 439 inch roller cam big block 4L80E
79 Malibu TPI 350 4L60 w/ Z28 steering & sway bars
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 12:37 AM   #280
Ackattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 TT View Post
Cruise may not engage until about 43 mph with that much speedo error too. Normally it can work as low as 30 mph in the TBI vehicles I have owned.

Sounds like it's time for some speedo calibration too.
Yeah, I know and I know

One issue at a time, and the speedo being off (and its effects) are towards the bottom of the list.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:25 PM   #281
Ackattack

I have A/C!!!! I still need to wire up the fan switch to the compressor clutch signal, but its working. Right now it blows out the defrosters or floor vent since I don't have dash vents yet. I'm going to add those eventually, but at least I should be able to stay pretty cool for now.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:49 PM   #282
Ackattack

I got the cruise control hooked up tonight. It is kind of working. When I'm going along about 60 and I engage the cruise control, it starts surgeing. I'm pretty sure its pretty much going close to full throttle then closing the throttle, then going back to full throttle. Doesn't really seem to be able to smoothly compensate. I'm wondering if its due to my throttle body spacer.....got some more digging to do.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:11 AM   #283
Ackattack

The other day while messing with my A/C my electric fan controler died. I was also popping 30A fuses, so I think something in there must have gotten fried. I hooked the fan directly to the battery through my DMM and measured 35A when it kicked on and then once up to speed it was down to 20A. Not sure if this is "normal" for one of the cherokee e-fans or not. So I got a new controller, relay and 40A fuse and it seems to be working fine. I have to get another relay (or diode) to make the fan kick on when the A/C kicks on. The new fan controler doesn't have an A/C input lead. Oh well, its been cool here lately so I haven't needed the A/C.

I started looking at installing the 3pt seatbelts out of the 90 donor truck. Looks like it should bolt in. Gotta get some bolts though.
Old 05-28-2012, 12:25 AM   #284
Ackattack

Well, in life all good things must come to an end. Project No-Buck will be up for sale in the not too distant future. I picked up a 94 dodge 4x4 cummins pickup today to start my next project of putting a crew cab square body onto the dodge frame. The main motivation behind this is now that we have 2 kids, the whole family can't ride in either of the current pickups. So the dodge will take the place of the 69 until I really start in on the project.

Not sure what I'm going to list it for. Got a little odds and ends to clean up and get sorted out first (cover the wiring, get the cruise working). Then I'll take a look at my receipts, probably throw up with how much I spent on it, and then figure out a price.

I've really enjoyed working on this truck, taking it from something most people would drop off at the salvage yard to a cool daily driver.

Check out my new build thread on the square body forum:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=526664
Old 05-29-2012, 11:47 PM   #285
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackattack View Post
...The main motivation behind this is now that we have 2 kids, the whole family can't ride in either of the current pickups. So the dodge will take the place of the 69 until I really start in on the project.
Same reason I sold my 78 K20, no point going forward with the project if it no longer suits your needs. Good luck with the sale and the new project.
68 Camaro SS / RS 500hp 439 inch roller cam big block 4L80E
79 Malibu TPI 350 4L60 w/ Z28 steering & sway bars
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 12:14 AM   #286
VA72C10
VA72C10

Sounds like a good plan and best wishes on the sale...
Old 05-30-2012, 06:51 PM   #287
Tinkermc

it looks very nice and should be very easy to sell
Tinkermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:21 PM   #288
Ackattack

No buck is officially for sale Got to thin the fleet a little. Starting at $7000

I still have a few little things to do on it. I need to get a door handle and window crank for the pass. side and a new door handle for the drivers side. The button broke on the brand new one I got from LMC. Need to take it back there to get another one.

I did get some new door panels made and a filler piece to make the A/C controls look better. Need to get some pictures of that.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:47 PM   #289
Rob H.

You know, I hadn't seen this thread before I named my own "project no buck 72"! Good luck on the sale of your's and I hope mine turns out as nice when I'm done!
1952 Super "A" Farmall (Grandfather's)
Rob H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:39 PM   #290
Ackattack

Guess I'll update this thread. I put the truck up for sale after finishing up a few little things.

I made a little panel that holds the A/C controls in place:

Painted the instrument cluster "carbon fiber" look. Kinda neat:

Made some door panels (I have the armrest installed now too)

That's about all the further I'm planning on taking the truck. It's been running good, but I'm needing to fund the crew cab build and get siding for my house.....can't do both Hopefully a new owner can continue with the tinkering with it and make it even cooler.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:55 PM   #291
WIDESIDE72

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 TT View Post
The bench seat fits great. I put one from a 1990 K1500 in my 69 K10 project truck and it looks like it belongs there.

Put a cam in that TBI 350 for sure. The stock one is unbelievably small with well under .400" lift. The vortec truck roller cam would be a nice choice to go with the vortec heads.

I would go with a carb pattern Vortec intake and run a TBI adapter on it. The GM vortec TBI intake is ridiculously expensive and isn't than good for performance. I don't think anybody else makes one. It would also allow you to run a 4-bbl throttle body or even a carburetor on there later if you decide to make some changes.
I swapped a vortec 350 onto a 93 k2500 but kept the tbi. I too had sticker shock on the gmpp intake for this swap. I got lucky and found a used crusader intake on eBay for $100 (!) on feebay that was originally from a marine application.
Posted via Mobile Device
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:58 PM   #292
WIDESIDE72

I also swapped the vortec cam for a comp 4x4 torque grind and a set of their beehive springs. RN great for a 350. Roller rockers, rv morse ported TBI and Herman full length headers also helped. I ran the vortec fuel pump with an adjustable fuel regulator set to 15 psi.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-24-2012, 12:32 AM   #293
WIDESIDE72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatman View Post

Ive went through the same gas mileage hunt in my truck. Its TBI 350 with 5 speed. I get 10 mpg weather Im pulling goose neck trailer full of gravel or granny shifting my way through town to work. Ive done full tune up, put on shorty headers, new O2, new temp sensor in intake for the ecm. Nothing has helped. 10 mpg is still my glorious result.
I had the exact same issue in my 93 gmc k2500 xcab 5 spd. 10 mpg no matter what, pulling dump trailer with 3 cords of wood or empty! I fixed it by selling it for $4k to a kid down the street and buying a clean 2002 silverado lt k2500 crew cab lwb with 200k miles for $7k.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-07-2012, 09:45 PM   #294
Ackattack

Sold the truck tonight. Kinda sad to see it go, but it frees up some cash. The new owner signed up on the board and actually works for the same company that I do, so I'll probably still see the truck around.