The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-10-2002, 01:08 PM   #1
Nathan

Ball joints and lowering kits...

Hey, I have a 1972 Chevy Cheyenne and I was wondering if anyone has ever changed out the ball joints on these bad boys before? If so, how much did you spend in parts?

Also, does anyone know of a company that makes a good lowering kit besides Bell? I want to go with a 4/6 drop. All I need is springs, spindles, and shocks.
Old 09-10-2002, 04:27 PM   #2
JHickson6
I Love This Stuff!

Lots of places sell the suspension and lowering kits, check out the list of suppliers on left column of this page www.67-72chevytrucks.com I recommend Early Classic Enterprises or Classic Performance Parts www.classicperform.com

JHickson6

My Rides
1967 C10 In Pieces for now
1985 Ford B700 SourPuss Bus - BIG BLUE
2003 Silverado CITY WORKER YELLOW!!
JHickson6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2002, 08:45 PM   #3
jnelson

rebuild kits

I just bought a complete front and rear kit from LMC. It the most complete kit I've found. it includes every thing you need. $ 428.70 singd sealed and delivered. if you don't need the complete kit paddocks has a kit for about $300 bucks or early classics has a really good kit for $525
Old 09-17-2002, 01:24 PM   #4
COBALT

The prices people are quoting (and the most comprehensive kits) are generally for C10 (1/2 ton) trucks. I found that most aftermarket places catered to the 1/2 ton crowd. Early classic enterprises was able to put together a 3/4 ton kit for me, but the parts are much more expensive, but they're heavier duty and will last longer (Moog). The good news is that I can convert and lower my truck later to disk brakes and use the same beefier 3/4 ton parts with no problems.

Just an FYI.
Seattle, WA.
COBALT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2002, 06:54 PM   #5
Alexis
Member since 2000

i got an early classic 4/6 suspension drop. those guy will help you through any problem you got. so will this board. but i like early classic those guys are cool and know what there tlaking about. there suspsion was design by one of there guy who used his blazer to test it out on. he has a 2wd blazer.
Alexis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2002, 12:57 AM   #6
basketcase

I used the Early Classics lowering kit too. Quality parts all the way. When I did my ball joints I got the lowers from NAPA. They were about the same price as anyone else and since I had to have them press them in anyway that's where I got them. The uppers at NAPA, however, were $73.!! I started checking the catalogs and they were all at $65. to $75.

Then I looked in the LMC catalog. They had them for $24. or so. $19.95 in their newest catalog. I couldn't believe it so I called to make sure the price was right and ordered them over the phone.
They look as good as the NAPA lowers and are in the truck now.
That's www.lmctruck.com if you don't have a catalog.
They seem to have lowered their prices in the recent catalog so a complete kit from them will probaably be cheaper that others. Shop and compare.

Tom
Old 09-27-2002, 04:26 PM   #7
adamls
Gotta Startem Early

I have heard some bad things about LMC's customer service and quality of parts, but have heard nothing but good about Early Classic Enterprises.
Old 09-27-2002, 04:33 PM   #8
MikeB

MAKE SURE that you get spindles designed for your 5-on-5 lug pattern. And use American-made ball joints like Moog. Some of the kits use cheap made-in-Mexico ball joints that creak and have dust seals that split open in a few months. You can't go wrong with www.earlyclassic.com for spindles. GMCPaul also has some made in American dropped spindles.
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote