The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-14-2019, 08:32 PM   #1
87chevy.com
BMW & ASE Master Certified

Best parallel flow Condenser - stock / bolt in

Man, reviews are hit an miss across all brands and across all websites I've visited. Anyone have experience with a brand that is a bolt in? If not bolt in, list mods required to install.

Looking to upgrade the tube fin / stock condenser to accent the r-134 refrigerant... stock isnt quite up to par.

thanks!
clint

New project: 2006 BMW x5 6cyl AWD to L83 6l80e 4wd to 2WD / RWD

A poor man buy's it twice

finally got my domain name back, 87chevy.com.... site rework in progress
87chevy.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 11:01 AM   #2
100%Chevy

Re: Best parallel flow Condenser - stock / bolt in

Google some late 90's,early 2000 S-10's
I used one in my 68,C-10 and it works great.But,can't remember the exact one I used.It has a vertical metal frame around each end ,and I welded brackets on it to mount it to my radiator support.Tight fit on the 68.
Mike.
100%Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 11:19 AM   #3
44th Miss Inf

I've gone with the Modine 1k200083 in a few 81-87s with good results. Takes a few slight mods to the mounting points, but nothing major.

I also add a pusher fan used on 454 trucks in front of the condenser. Also, next time you change your blower motor, consider one from an 88-98, as they seem to provide more airflow

EDIT: the condenser fan I use is Four Seasons pn 75751

Last edited by 44th Miss Inf; 07-15-2019 at 11:25 AM.
44th Miss Inf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 09:22 PM   #4
tucsonjwt

My local A/C guy recommends an AC Delco condenser. I can't remember the part number, but I think it starts with 15- something. It is just the standard GM condenser, but there are many ac delco part numbers in that series. Some complain that the condensor 15-6960 is 2" narrower than the stock condensor, but it is a parallel flow condensor, not the old tube and fin style, which won't work well with a Sanden compressor or 134A.

I am getting the a Sanden compressor and so I will need a new condensor, mounting brackets, hoses, etc. so I will just put in the one he recommends.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 09:29 PM   #5
tucsonjwt

I just saw an old post I did in 2017 on the condenser and the recommended one is 15-6960, but I did note installation problems some report. I don't think you can get an exact fit parallel flow condenser unless you go aftermarket (maybe.)
Old 07-16-2019, 06:58 AM   #6
44th Miss Inf

I'm 99% sure the Modine number I listed crosses to the Delco 15-6960.
44th Miss Inf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 03:28 PM   #7
Wgesnerjr

I just went through installing a new parallel flow condenser. Got one from NAPA but turned out to be a SPECTRA 7-3642.

I have replaced everything but the wiring in the cab. My set up is a 1985 C10 with factory A/C. LS swap with the low mount Holley bracket. Small Sanden type Compressor, New Four Season Receiver Drier, New Four Season Evap Core, New Four Season R134a Oriface tube, New Four Season pressure switch, New custom made hoses. New wiring from factory plug at firewall to A/C compressor. Using factory Mechanical fan from the LS motor. Sits perfectly in the fan shroud. Good airflow at idle, will hold a piece of paper to the condenser. Professionally charged twice at a shop, subsequently but lost all freon due to a faulty Compressor and Pressure switch. This last time was me and 3 cans of AutoZone R134a

Things I have learned:

1. Condenser is a parallel flow style, you can see the difference in construction. Much different from the new R12 spectra I put in a few years ago, which was a perfect drop in.

2. Spectra states this *fits* squarebody C10 and Suburbans. It *fits* but is not perfect. The height is correct, but it is smaller width wise than the R12 one I took out. about 1 1/2 inch on each side. Mounting brackets will need to be screwed to the lower part of the core support. The uppers will bolt to some factory threaded inserts at the top. Like I said, it will "fit", but know that Spectra plays loose and fast with their application guides. Its not a drop in.

3. It comes with it's own mounting brackets and pads. this is good as it does not have the same areas to mount as the original. You will need these and some ingenuity to get it in and mounted.

4. The outlets are the right size and in the right general area but do not point in the proper direction. They can be *massaged* to meet up with the hard line. Just be careful and don't kink the lines. I bent both the lower hard line and the Condenser line until the met.

So with all that said. All parts are in and, after fighting many leaks, are finally holding a charge. However, it is not as cold as I would like. goes down to 39 running down the highway under load and 49 at idle on an 85 degree day in Atlanta.

I thought it was airflow issue and needed pusher fans but NO. Upon testing at highway speeds (60-85mph), under cruise speed (light throttle), there is plenty of airflow across the condenser, but the temp will climb up in the mid forties. Only thing that really drops it down is spinning the compressor faster. (more engine RPMs really bring temp down)

It is not much, if at all, better than the R12 Condenser that was in it previously. I was getting similar temps but thought, since there was a leak, go ahead and change it. In hind sight, I would not have changed it saved my $$ and left the R12 condenser in.

Just my experience, your results may vary.
LS 5.3, 4L60E
Father/Daughter Project
Wgesnerjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 03:31 PM   #8
Wgesnerjr

Pics of size difference
Attached Images

LS 5.3, 4L60E
Father/Daughter Project
Old 07-16-2019, 03:32 PM   #9
Wgesnerjr

More pics
Attached Images

LS 5.3, 4L60E
Father/Daughter Project
Old 07-16-2019, 06:39 PM   #10
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wgesnerjr View Post
I just went through installing a new parallel flow condenser. Got one from NAPA but turned out to be a SPECTRA 7-3642.

I have replaced everything but the wiring in the cab. My set up is a 1985 C10 with factory A/C. LS swap with the low mount Holley bracket. Small Sanden type Compressor, New Four Season Receiver Drier, New Four Season Evap Core, New Four Season R134a Oriface tube, New Four Season pressure switch, New custom made hoses. New wiring from factory plug at firewall to A/C compressor. Using factory Mechanical fan from the LS motor. Sits perfectly in the fan shroud. Good airflow at idle, will hold a piece of paper to the condenser. Professionally charged twice at a shop, subsequently but lost all freon due to a faulty Compressor and Pressure switch. This last time was me and 3 cans of AutoZone R134a

Things I have learned:

1. Condenser is a parallel flow style, you can see the difference in construction. Much different from the new R12 spectra I put in a few years ago, which was a perfect drop in.

2. Spectra states this *fits* squarebody C10 and Suburbans. It *fits* but is not perfect. The height is correct, but it is smaller width wise than the R12 one I took out. about 1 1/2 inch on each side. Mounting brackets will need to be screwed to the lower part of the core support. The uppers will bolt to some factory threaded inserts at the top. Like I said, it will "fit", but know that Spectra plays loose and fast with their application guides. Its not a drop in.

3. It comes with it's own mounting brackets and pads. this is good as it does not have the same areas to mount as the original. You will need these and some ingenuity to get it in and mounted.

4. The outlets are the right size and in the right general area but do not point in the proper direction. They can be *massaged* to meet up with the hard line. Just be careful and don't kink the lines. I bent both the lower hard line and the Condenser line until the met.

So with all that said. All parts are in and, after fighting many leaks, are finally holding a charge. However, it is not as cold as I would like. goes down to 39 running down the highway under load and 49 at idle on an 85 degree day in Atlanta.

I thought it was airflow issue and needed pusher fans but NO. Upon testing at highway speeds (60-85mph), under cruise speed (light throttle), there is plenty of airflow across the condenser, but the temp will climb up in the mid forties. Only thing that really drops it down is spinning the compressor faster. (more engine RPMs really bring temp down)

It is not much, if at all, better than the R12 Condenser that was in it previously. I was getting similar temps but thought, since there was a leak, go ahead and change it. In hind sight, I would not have changed it saved my $$ and left the R12 condenser in.

Just my experience, your results may vary.
When I did my dually, I consulted a manufacturer that custom made condensers (to build one the same size as the current one I had). I told him what I researched about the parallel flow being the best for the 134 set-ups. He agreed the parallel is better but said the best condenser is the biggest. He said to buy the largest OE/direct fit unit & be done w/it. When I questioned him about info from the www, he said "If it makes you feel better to spend extra money for a custom made parallel unit because you read it on the Net, I'll do it. But, the reality is you'll spend more money & might; might see a 1-3° temp difference @ optimum performance. If it's not @ optimum perf everywhere else, you'll see less of a difference". I opted for the largest set-up that came from a Burb based on his honest input. He didn't make any money off me but he sure got my respect.

My set-up blew cold but I can't say how effective it is. I wound up having pressure related issues once it builds RPM's. Seems there's an imbalance of oil/gas causing the comp to shut-off except @ minimal throttle. It was on my list to remedy but I wasn't driving it enough that I ever got around to the fix.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 03:43 PM   #11
tucsonjwt

Good to know that the Spectra is a direct drop in parallel flow replacement. My A/C guy won't use anything but AC Delco, based on his experience with Sanden compressors. I have had good luck with the plastic/aluminum Spectra radiator I installed in my big block C20, but I have no experience with Spectra condensers.
Old 07-17-2019, 03:50 PM   #12
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonjwt View Post
Good to know that the Spectra is a direct drop in parallel flow replacement. My A/C guy won't use anything but AC Delco, based on his experience with Sanden compressors. I have had good luck with the plastic/aluminum Spectra radiator I installed in my big block C20, but I have no experience with Spectra condensers.
Can you elaborate on this? The AC Delco of today isn't the same AC Delco when these trucks were being built.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 07-21-2019, 01:28 PM   #13
tucsonjwt

I am sure that the AC Delco preference has to do with the preceived quality control of AC Delco parts. Although most ACD parts are made in Mexico or Asia, I suspect that their quality standards are better than generic aftermarket parts. I will go with the opinion of my AC guy who replaces condensors and compressors all day. He will not provide a warranty on an A6 rebuilt compressor or anything other than a new Sanden compressor and ACD condensor. He says he has never submitted a warranty claim on a Sanden compressor he installed and has not had a ACD condensor leak. I don't like the narrower width of the condensor, but he says he can tweak the lines to make it work. When I eventually have him install the system I will post pics.
Old 07-21-2019, 03:15 PM   #14
SCOTI

Thanks for the details.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG