The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network







Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2017, 09:33 PM   #1
Mackman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Floyds Knobs, IN
Posts: 1
Anyone tried upgrading a TBI engine to EFI?

Hello, I am new to this site. I am hoping to gain some knowledge from others that may have achieved upgrading their TBI engine to one of the new EFI systems such as the Holley Terminator, FiTech, FAST or E-Street 2? I am thinking that this would be an improved system over the factory GM TBI. I am confused on how the transmission would react to these systems or if a transmission controller would have to be utilized. Any info would be appriciated.
Mackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 02:09 PM   #2
Kudzupatch
Registered User
 
Kudzupatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: GUNTERSVILLE
Posts: 410
Re: Anyone tried upgrading a TBI engine to EFI?

I believe everything you mentioned is TBI, Throttle Body Injection. So your not really talking anything dramatically different.

Assuming a mostly stock engine to mid performance motor I don't see how you gain much if anything. The replacements will flow more air but you can also buy a replacement Holley TBI unit that will flow 600 CFm (if I remember correctly) and it is a bolt on direct replacement unit. That is plenty for most street engines.

You still have to tune the the aftermarket unit to get the most out of it. So why not learn to tune the existing unit? Replace the chip with a Moates Ostrich emulator and you can tune it from you laptop.

When I finally get to replace my engine that is exactly what I am going to do. Use stock TBI and just tune it to the new engine. If I need the air flow I will replace it with the Holley unit. Should be able to the do the same thing as the replacement without all the expense.

Not 100% sure but I believe you have to have a separate transmission controller with most of those. Your adding a level of complexity that unless you are really into the High Output motor I can't see the point.
Kudzupatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 04:53 PM   #3
franken
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 2,029
Re: Anyone tried upgrading a TBI engine to EFI?

TBI is EFI...
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 06:29 PM   #4
OutlawDrifter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Northeast KS
Posts: 1,048
Re: Anyone tried upgrading a TBI engine to EFI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudzupatch View Post
I believe everything you mentioned is TBI, Throttle Body Injection. So your not really talking anything dramatically different.

Assuming a mostly stock engine to mid performance motor I don't see how you gain much if anything. The replacements will flow more air but you can also buy a replacement Holley TBI unit that will flow 600 CFm (if I remember correctly) and it is a bolt on direct replacement unit. That is plenty for most street engines.

You still have to tune the the aftermarket unit to get the most out of it. So why not learn to tune the existing unit? Replace the chip with a Moates Ostrich emulator and you can tune it from you laptop.

When I finally get to replace my engine that is exactly what I am going to do. Use stock TBI and just tune it to the new engine. If I need the air flow I will replace it with the Holley unit. Should be able to the do the same thing as the replacement without all the expense.

Not 100% sure but I believe you have to have a separate transmission controller with most of those. Your adding a level of complexity that unless you are really into the High Output motor I can't see the point.

Skip the Holley unit. Not worth the money. There is a company out there that will increase the bores in your unit, or you could score a 454 unit for cheaper than the Holley.

Depends on the age of the TBI vehicle as to how the trans is controlled. The later ones rely on the same ECU.

I wouldn't waste the time, and if you were going to spend the money, throw it towards something with multi-port fueling capabilities.
__________________
2010 Chevy 2500HD Z71 CCSB, 6.0L/6L90E, 3.73, G80
1991 Z/28, 6.0L/T56...I think it has a cam.....
1949 GMC 250, S10 Frame, 6.0L/4L80E
Replaced:
1979 Bonanza K10 RCLB 350/350/NP203 3.42's
1982 K5 Sierra Classic 2WD, 350/350, 2.73's
1995 GMC RCSB 2WD, 5.7tbi/4L60E, 3.42's
1998 Chevy K1500 Z71, 5.7L/4L60E, 3.43's
OutlawDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 11:36 PM   #5
bonnieclyde100
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Henderson,TX
Posts: 337
Re: Anyone tried upgrading a TBI engine to EFI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackman View Post
Hello, I am new to this site. I am hoping to gain some knowledge from others that may have achieved upgrading their TBI engine to one of the new EFI systems such as the Holley Terminator, FiTech, FAST or E-Street 2? I am thinking that this would be an improved system over the factory GM TBI. I am confused on how the transmission would react to these systems or if a transmission controller would have to be utilized. Any info would be appriciated.
What year is your truck ? if it is an obd1 setup there is a lot you can do with that system to increase it. there is a forum http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/forum.php that you can learn how to modify it fairly easy. I even took 2 throttle bodies and attached them together to make 1 four barrel tbi and my computer with some tuning runs it. its in a 69 chevy truck the titles on forum is frankenbody . I didn't come up with the name others did the same thing first. here is a link to a video of my truck. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbOHadlT-jM
bonnieclyde100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 11:40 PM   #6
bonnieclyde100
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Henderson,TX
Posts: 337
Re: Anyone tried upgrading a TBI engine to EFI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnieclyde100 View Post
What year is your truck ? if it is an obd1 setup there is a lot you can do with that system to increase it. there is a forum http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/forum.php that you can learn how to modify it fairly easy. I even took 2 throttle bodies and attached them together to make 1 four barrel tbi and my computer with some tuning runs it. its in a 69 chevy truck the titles on forum is frankenbody . I didn't come up with the name others did the same thing first. here is a link to a video of my truck. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbOHadlT-jM
here are some pic that others built.
Attached Images
  
bonnieclyde100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
efi, fitech, tbi

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 1997-2013 67-72chevytrucks.com