The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-25-2017, 10:19 AM   #1
5spd540

Bed side replacement parts

Does anyone have any info on goodmark compared to AMD bedsides. I am asking due to I can get goodmark for 200$ less per side
5spd540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 12:07 PM   #2
randy500
Account Suspended

Re: Bed side replacement parts

I think they are the same for a short bed, I have AMD and Woodall industries they are identical
randy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 04:08 PM   #3
5spd540

It just don't make sense to me why the AMD are so much more if there is not a huge difference in them.
Old 06-25-2017, 05:42 PM   #4
Grumpy old man

there all the same just different names to charge more for the middle man . average mark up is 35% to retail . so when you see the dealers sell with a 25% discount they are still making 10% .
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 04:10 AM   #5
5spd540

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
there all the same just different names to charge more for the middle man . average mark up is 35% to retail . so when you see the dealers sell with a 25% discount they are still making 10% .
Do you have any personal experience with this statement? I know some guys have inside info on things like this and was hoping you did.
Old 06-27-2017, 09:33 AM   #6
Grumpy old man

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5spd540 View Post
Do you have any personal experience with this statement? I know some guys have inside info on things like this and was hoping you did.
I don't know about "inside info " just what I've experienced in the last few years . Last year I bought some '67 short bedsides from carid.com that I found for $349.00 each Long story short after waiting on backorder they showed up in an AMD large box inside was another box with Woodall stickers ,I just bought another set from rockauto.com for $439.00 each that showed up in an AMD box and they are all exactly the same . I checked into AMD dealership and it was a $7,000.00 buy in to sell Any make/model of their panels with a 35% wholesale discount . I searched for the best price/shipping . From what I understand there is one manufacture for the '67 and two for the 68-72 ? The '67 always seem to be less expensive . The prices are all over the board the lowest was carid at $349.00 (now they are higher) and I've seen them as high as $699.00 each ? So your results may vary . the fit will never match OEM but they are pretty good replacements and nice original bedsides are getting harder to find and way more expensive . it's an online world now so do your due diligence and find the best price with shipping . The AMD web site is always going to show the retail price or it wouldn't pay to become a dealer if they offered deep discounts . Same goes for ACC (auto custom carpets ) they show $249.00 for a mass backed carpet kit and rockauto is $169.00 for the same ACC carpet . Anyone can easily become a parts dealer if you have the time and $ for online drop ship sales . There is a guy on ebay selling glass from PGW (pittsburgh glass works ) who has a dealer account when you buy from him all he does is place the order and you pick up the glass from any of the PGW locations (most major cities ) = No shipping, no return sales because the buyer picks up and accepts the glass and it's a "no touch operation" for him so even if he's only making 5% on the item he's banking $$

Last edited by Grumpy old man; 06-27-2017 at 09:42 AM.
Old 06-28-2017, 03:33 AM   #7
5spd540

So it sounds like it don't really matter who I buy them from it sounds like no garantee what manufacturer made them.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:48 AM   #8
Grumpy old man

Well ... No , I think you can be pretty certain the parts are all coming from the same AMD plant in Taiwan . I mean really guys we are talking about replacement parts for one model of 50 year old Chevy truck parts , Do you really think there are multiple factories producing multiple brands of the same parts for such a small market as 67-72 Chevy trucks ? All these different brands are just the middle men brands to try to imply different grades of products .By that thinking there would be 5 factories making rocker panels in Taiwan and shipping them to dealers all across the country ? I mean when you call Billy joe bobs truck parts and order a set of bedsides that he's walking out back and packing and shipping them to you from his warehouse ? No, they would be drop shipped to you from the suppliers warehouse rather than shipping them all over the country and that would be why we see so many parts show up with multiple stickers on them from multiple dealers like when my triplus bed sides arrived in an AMD box with Woodall stickers on it .

Goodmark
Dynacorn
Keyparts
Triplus
Woodall

I would just have a hard time believing just these 5 dealers would find it financially viable to do that , they would have to sell thousands of pairs bedsides each and every year ...

Last edited by Grumpy old man; 06-28-2017 at 07:57 AM.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:03 AM   #9
5spd540

So do you think the AMD and good mark are the same parts?
Old 06-28-2017, 11:40 AM   #10
darrellyates

Quote:
So do you think the AMD and good mark are the same parts?
This is not a popular opinion, and I'll catch some flak I'm sure, but I'm positive they are all the same parts. They guy who built my frame is in So. Cal. He told me to come visit, and he would drive me 20 miles from his shop to the dock where parts come in. He says they all come out of the same container, and go into who ever's box... They all come from the same place. The tooling to build a bedside would be into 7 figures for stamping, spot welding, whatever goes into it. I am highly dubious there is more than one set in the far east. Now, are there different specifications for metal, e-coat, etc? I don't know. However, again, I'm doubtful because I was told I could be taken to the dock warehouse and see for myself. I bought a bunch of stuff from Goodmark because the dealer is close, let me inspect each part before I loaded it, and gave me good service. Was it perfect? No. Was it much better than fighting rusty originals? In my opinion, yes. The only part I'm having issues with is the hood. Just doesn't line up right. I'm going to have to do serious work on that. Doors fit good, bedsides were good, fenders, inner fenders, core support, grille, all pretty good. Cab corners are junk, they are junk from everybody or so I've been told. Just my opinion...
darrellyates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 01:35 PM   #11
skinnan

Quote:
The math isn't exactly right but we get your point....
skinnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 01:42 PM   #12
camtoys1

Woodall industries makes them all just get Reboxed amd dont make any panel someone else make them amd just puts there name on the parts
camtoys1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 02:07 PM   #13
5spd540

This is starting to get very interesting and I am learning how this repop thing works now.
Old 06-28-2017, 03:21 PM   #14
Grumpy old man

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnan View Post
The math isn't exactly right but we get your point....
Sorry ! Next time I'll make sure I post a legal disclaimer , Graphic display with description and a advanced power point presentation for your approval .
Old 06-29-2017, 03:25 AM   #15
5spd540

I called AMD last night and asked where they get their parts from and the guy said they are made at the AMD plant where we mold and stamp our own parts. We don't buy our stuff from china like others do.
Old 06-29-2017, 07:56 AM   #16
nightrider388

Quote:
I called AMD last night and asked where they get their parts from and the guy said they are made at the AMD plant where we mold and stamp our own parts. We don't buy our stuff from china like others do.
That is not true for the 67-72 C/10 parts. If you look on their website, it strictly says triplus on the web page. We all know triplus is Taiwan. Their rep told me that the c/10 parts is not something that AMD makes, that it is imported.

Last edited by nightrider388; 06-29-2017 at 07:57 AM. Reason: add
nightrider388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 01:55 PM   #17
camtoys1

thats not true amd dont make any parts you think he is going to say where he gets his stuff its all comes from over seas
Old 06-29-2017, 01:56 PM   #18
camtoys1

amd is a reboxer thats it
Old 06-29-2017, 11:14 PM   #19
RonG

No body mentioned MAR-K in OK City?
RonG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 06:40 AM   #20
CUSTOM/10

As far as I've heard, Mar-K makes their own step side bed-sides only not fleet-sides.

My 72 SWB Build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=259859
CUSTOM/10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 06:56 AM   #21
5spd540

I want to swap my step to a fleet. Just need to see what I need for braces for a wood floor on a fleet. I assume someone makes the under floor braces for a conversion from a step to a fleet
Old 06-30-2017, 07:06 AM   #22
Grumpy old man

Quote:
I want to swap my step to a fleet. Just need to see what I need for braces for a wood floor on a fleet. I assume someone makes the under floor braces for a conversion from a step to a fleet
GR8-68 is building all the wood and just built his fleet bed ,touch base with him for all the inside details
Old 06-30-2017, 09:37 AM   #23
5spd540

Quote:
GR8-68 is building all the wood and just built his fleet bed ,touch base with him for all the inside details
Thanks man
Old 06-30-2017, 09:43 AM   #24
Tim Christian

You guys crack me up. I am glad I learned something about aftermarket parts this morning.
Tim Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 10:15 AM   #25
KP Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by camtoys1 View Post
thats not true amd dont make any parts you think he is going to say where he gets his stuff its all comes from over seas
This is like saying "Apple doesn't make iPhones".

They design the phone, write the software for the phone, and then contract a factory to make "Their" product.

Does Apple make phones? Technically; no. But companies DO cut, or fabricate, samples and then send them to different factories for the actual manufacturing under contract. It's THEIR part but they aren't MANUFACTURING anything.

This is a common business practice for most companies.......including the "OE's"

Last edited by KP Jon; 06-30-2017 at 10:16 AM. Reason: typo
KP Jon is offline   Reply With Quote