The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-12-2018, 06:14 PM   #1
cruizin01

Tips on taping and painting inset area of tailgate

When we painted my truck years ago we hung it upside down and didn't get enough clear on the angled area and when we buffed it we went through the clear.

So instead of respraying the whole gate Im thinking about spraying the insert area satin black to match the bumper.

The bumper I sprayed with a single stage chassis epoxy. Is it possible to tape and paint the gate with the same stuff? Im concerned about a tape line. Is it possible for it to be smooth? Or would I have to clear the whole thing?

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-12-2018, 07:50 PM   #2
MARTINSR

Re: Tips on taping and painting inset area of tailgate

Yo could back tape it along the line and then polish the little bit out. But honestly, I see no reason in ever doing that. I just prep the whole thing and re-do it. It takes a few minutes to prep it, probably less time than to polish out that line, IF it comes out good.

You are trying to correct a mistake (and ALWAYS hang parts as they are bolted to the car or truck) why do something that could create another mistake?

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 08:54 PM   #3
cruizin01

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Yo could back tape it along the line and then polish the little bit out. But honestly, I see no reason in ever doing that. I just prep the whole thing and re-do it. It takes a few minutes to prep it, probably less time than to polish out that line, IF it comes out good.

You are trying to correct a mistake (and ALWAYS hang parts as they are bolted to the car or truck) why do something that could create another mistake?

Brian
Thanks Brian. I dont currently have the tools, place to spray a base/clear. Along with the fact I dont have the paint from the original paint job (it was close to 20 years ago but the truck as sat since then)

I like the idea of doing a black insert but just trying to decide if its something I can handle with the setup I have. Ill think on it some more.
Old 08-12-2018, 09:27 PM   #4
MARTINSR

A satin black insert would certainly be a good option. And if you cut through the clear you need to be very careful top coating it as it can wrinkle easy when it's thin like that solvents from the paint you apply over it get in under the clear and wrinkle.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 11:20 PM   #5
Foot Stomper

I'm with Brian. No use making more work for yourself.

It looks like a nice truck, so spend a tiny bit of money on it and take the gate to a body shop and ask them to clear the entire gate....likely won't cost much at all and it will look perfect!

My 1959 GMC build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=686989
Foot Stomper is offline   Reply With Quote