The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-12-2007, 07:25 PM   #1
LSGarage

Dash lights going out

I've got an '01 Suburban 1500 with about 53K on it now. The green lit dash lights for the trans shift indicator and odometer keep going out. Anyone have this problem and know the solution or where to start for the cure? When it goes out I tap several time on the clear plexiglas and they come back on. I don't know how long this going to last before they go also together.
13 Honda CRV (wife's wheels)
03 Malibu (daughter’s car)
LSGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 11:55 PM   #2
get me on the road
No Matter What.

Re: Dash lights going out

It could be a possible dirty connection, maybe. I dont know if those use bulbs or led's. If they take bulbs, and you replace them yourself, check the circuit board lookin thing that the bulbs twist in to for any spots that may look brown like a little short happened. I dont know if the circuit board can be replaced or if you have to replace the whole cluster. From your description I would say it uses bulbs, and when you tap on the plastic face it vibrates the almost busted filament, that would be probably be the best case scenario. Those bulbs are expensive, at least the ones for 91 s-10 were, and I think the only place to get them is the dealer, I wanna say they were like $7 a piece. They are basically the 194 marker bulbs with a special twist snap into place type connector.
86 Mercury Cougar /89 Olds 88 /88 Chevy S-10 /84 Pontiac Firebird(I miss it) /91 Chevy S-10

Last edited by get me on the road; 12-13-2007 at 08:45 AM.
get me on the road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 08:32 PM   #3
get me on the road
No Matter What.

Did you come up with any thing LSGarage?
86 Mercury Cougar /89 Olds 88 /88 Chevy S-10 /84 Pontiac Firebird(I miss it) /91 Chevy S-10

Last edited by get me on the road; 12-15-2007 at 08:32 PM.
get me on the road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 08:17 AM   #4
BP68

I work at a dealer, and we send em out for exchange. I haven't had one all the way apart, but if you can see a bulb and can find one similar you may be able to swap it out. If there is no bulb it is prob part of a LCD lens.

My build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=269999
BP68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 12:03 PM   #5
kszygc

I've seen a lots of lightbulbs not work until you tap on them. The center electrical contact (mound of lead solder attached to the wire) inside the socket for the bulb can flatten out and then it may not have a consistent physical contact necessary to light the bulb. Also the spring that maintains pressure against the bulb may be corroded or weak, keeping the bulb from staying in touch with the electrical contact and lighting the bulb until jarred by tapping on the cover. Make sense? I'd say clean the contacts in the socket, find whatever gives it spring tension, and maybe stretch the spring out a little bit. Also check the bulbs themselves for flattened contacts.
kszygc is offline   Reply With Quote