The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board > 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-29-2010, 11:54 PM   #201
1956cameo

Re: Left for dead: 72 2wd blazer build

jstplyn331, The book that I look at doesn't give any numbers for Jimmy productions; however out of the 47,623 Chevy blazers built in 72' only 3,357 were 2 wheel drive. The only thing I can tell you is they made alot fewer GMC's than Chevys so it is even rarer.

red71cheyenne, Thanks! Hopefully any further projects beyond what I have now won't need too many patches. This blazer has pretty much depleted my parts trucks of their good panels.

jaros44sr, Thanks for the encouragement! It has definately been alot of work, but I see a light at the end of the metal working tunnel!

'72 blazer 2wd build

67-72 Factory Big Block Registry
1956cameo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 12:06 AM   #202
1956cameo

I don't have alot to report but I did make a little more progress today. It took the whole day but I replaced the rotten middle cowl section that was hidded by the wire loom.

A picture showing the rot that was along the entire length of the lower part of the cowl.

After looking at everything I decided the best method would be to remove the entire panel. That way I would have easy access if any metal need to be replaced on the upper firewall. It also allowed me to brush rust killer throughout the entire opened cowl section. I drilled out the spot welds along the bottom, and cut the top along the thin cross pieces.

The donor cowl welded into place.

I would of liked to get more metal replaced today but the weather wasn't cooperating. The last thing I wanted to do was stand out in the freezing cold rain trying to cut off donor panels, so this is all the progress I have to show for now.

'72 blazer 2wd build

Old 12-30-2010, 12:27 AM   #203
VA72C10
VA72C10

nice job! keep at it. little by little it will get done.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:16 PM   #204
CORSAIR

You would have to be the worlds most interesting man take on that project? The two day floor board repair on my 72 K-5 I thought was major for a SO NV blazer? It looks like it comming together, Keep us all posted with new pictures and Info. "GOD SPEED MY FREIND"

CORSAIR
Old 12-30-2010, 02:21 PM   #205
1956cameo

VA72C10, Thanks again for the encouragement!

CORSAIR, Thanks! I will definately keep everyone posted.

By the way HAPPY BIRTHDAY Muleman100!! I just want to give you a HUGE thank you for all the work you have done with me on this project this year! It may not be finished but maybe I can take you to your birthday dinner in this blazer next year.

'72 blazer 2wd build

Old 01-04-2011, 04:39 PM   #206
alsriv2

Location: Formerly MD and San Diego, now loving life in Arizona

Hello Cameo!
This has been an interesting and educational experience to watch the progress on your build. Fastastic work!
I am fairly new to this website and I own a '69 GMC longhorn and '69 C10. Both of these trucks have some minor rust issues, the worst being the fresh air boxes that you worked at the beginning of your project. Both trucks came from the upper midwest and the rust was caused by dirt packing in the boxes and starting the rust process.
I never imagined a repair was even feasable in these areas, but you have show it is possible.

Keep up the great work and I look forward to the completed project!

Al
'69 GMC Longhorn
"69 Chevy C10 396
alsriv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:04 PM   #207
1956cameo

Thanks for the comments Al! Send me the pics of your rust issues and I will see what I can do to help you out. If your rust isn't too bad then there is a good possibility I can help. I think you can send the pics thru PM, if not you can post them on here.

'72 blazer 2wd build

Old 01-09-2011, 10:36 AM   #208
Muleman100

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1956cameo View Post
VA72C10, Thanks again for the encouragement!

CORSAIR, Thanks! I will definately keep everyone posted.

By the way HAPPY BIRTHDAY Muleman100!! I just want to give you a HUGE thank you for all the work you have done with me on this project this year! It may not be finished but maybe I can take you to your birthday dinner in this blazer next year.
Sorry I missed your birthday wish, I guess I was celebrating too much. I would like you to be driving the Blazer for a July 4 happening. So lets get busy.

Old 01-09-2011, 03:30 PM   #209
1956cameo

Muleman, July 4th sounds reasonable. That is if you don't mind me leaving you lenghty lists of tasks to do between my visits! Of course with the eye trauma I am facing my funds might be more limiting on the progress than labor.

I was able to work on the Blazer this Saturday. Unfortunately I injured myself while I was out there. Even though I was wearing safety glasses with side shields I had some metal slag imbed itself into the cornea of my right eye while I was removing panels. At first it didn't seem too bad but as the day went on the eye got more agitated. By the time I went to bed the pain was incredible. My wife suggested that I go to the emergency room but I was foolish and simply took pain killers and sleeping pills. When I woke up this morning the pain was still there, so it was time to go to the emergency clinic. They flushed the eye and got out what they could. Unfortunately there is metal imbedded down in the cornea that will have to be removed by surgery Monday morning. The doctor said that they possibly could have gotten it out yesterday but since I waited so long the eye has already formed a catarac over the metal slag. Right now I am feeling fine because I am on Vicatin and eyen numbing cream but even with that I am uncomfortable.

I wanted to tell everyone about this to warn them about the importance of safety gear. I always do metal work with ear plugs and safety glasses. It just happens that a fugitive piece of slag flew at the right angle to get between my glasses and face and into my eye. Without my safety gear I am sure my current situation could be much worse than it is. I will propably start wearing monogoggles when cutting and grinding metal from now on. Hopefully everyone takes all the safety measures they can when working on their projects; you never know when something can go wrong. It just isn't worth the risk to not be safe; between the pain, discomfort, medical bills, and lost work; all of which I am facing right now.

'72 blazer 2wd build

Old 01-10-2011, 09:25 AM   #210
alsriv2

Location: Formerly MD and San Diego, now loving life in Arizona

I am sorry to hear about your injury. Be assured, your situation is in our thoughts and prayers. Keep everyone up to date on your healing progress.

Take care,

Al
'69 GMC Longhorn 2500
'69 Chevy CST 396
alsriv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:03 AM   #211
1956cameo

Thanks for the thoughts Al. The worst of it is over, right now I am just taking it easy. The worst part (pain wise) was after the doctor got finished pulling the metal out. Now I know what it feels like when someone digs around in your eye with a scalpel and tweezers. Hopefully I will be back to work tomorrow.

'72 blazer 2wd build

Old 01-11-2011, 11:19 AM   #212
VA72C10
VA72C10

Glad to hear it's out and sounds like your vision was unaffected. Take it easy and hope you feel better soon!
Old 01-11-2011, 11:30 AM   #213
1956cameo

VA72C10, Thanks! I do have temporarily blurred vision, due to the doctor leaving a divet in my eye. They said that will heal over and my vision should be back to normal by the end of the week. I have slept 40 of the last 48 hours, which is the best thing for my eye right now. It is funny thru all of this the only thing I can think of is getting back to the shop to work on the blazer. I am so close to bieng done with the metal work I might go out and buy the bodywork supplies today!

'72 blazer 2wd build

Old 01-11-2011, 11:48 AM   #214
CORSAIR

Glad to hear your eye sight will be ok. I had the same thing metal stuck in the eye dug it out at the ER and two days later better than new. The human eye is the fastest healing organ in the human body. You remember your
wood/metal shop teacher (Mr Stubs) always saying SAFETY FIRST while looking at you with one Eye and 8 Fingers.

GET WELL MY FRIEND you have a Blazer we are all waiting to see completed!!

CORSAIR
Old 01-11-2011, 01:46 PM   #215
swamp rat

Hope you heal fast!

I'm about 75% right eye dominant, if i ever loose it life as i know it would flat out suck!

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 01:27 PM   #216
1956cameo

CORSAIR, I work for a large chemical manufacturer and safety is their top priority both on and off the jobsite. I have already been asked by supervision if I could make a presentation over what happened and how to prevent it from happening again in front of my co workers.

Swamp Rat, That does suck! Thanks for the well wishes, the eye is feeling alot better.

'72 blazer 2wd build

Old 01-23-2011, 01:10 PM   #217
1956cameo

I am all healed up, so I was able to make a little more progress this week. I started by eliminating the pitted and crusty top inner bed panel. For some reason it was all along the passenger side bed rail but non existant on the drivers side.

Picture of the pitting along the top inner framerail. I am glad I replaced this. There was alot of loose rust in between the outer panel and the inner panel.

The finished result.

Next I focused my attention on the drivers side top rear bed panel. It was very obvious that all this metal was thin.

It was so rusty that even the inner panel, and top of the bed panel brace was gone. I was hoping this would be a couple hour fix but it at this point it was starting to look like this part of the truck was going to need about a day to fix.

'72 blazer 2wd build

Old 01-23-2011, 01:18 PM   #218
1956cameo

I started looking at the rest of the bed panel brace and realized that not only was the top in desperate need of repairs but also the bottom.

At first I thought I would just put a top and bottom patch on the panel brace and call it good. Then I noticed that there was also rot right where the drivers side of the tailgate bolts to the bed. It was at this point I decided to replace the whole panel.

I finished out the day working on the removal of the rear inner panel support. I found out that this is a very complex panel to work on. To finish this entire section of the body properly it looks like I will be on this project for 2-3 work days. Right now I am the most nervous I have been so far on this build, worrying about getting everything back together properly. I didn't take a picture of the mangled panel half removed although I wish I would have now. Either way the pictures of next weeks progress should be intersting.

'72 blazer 2wd build

Last edited by 1956cameo; 01-23-2011 at 01:21 PM.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:52 PM   #219
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

I know I've said it before, but I've tossed out better metal than what you're repairing there. Yikes! You had rust I never even thought to look at. (firewall wire run, in the cowl) Best of luck on the repair.

I gotta say though, I like seeing the pictures with grass in the background. We are months away from seeing our yards again. It was about -20 F this morning here, but thay are predicting +9 today and up into the 20's this week. How sad is it that we think of 20's as pretty warm.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:15 AM   #220
1956cameo

hgs_notes, I think most people would have tossed this old tub too. Thats the good part of working on a completely stripped body, you can find, and repair rust that usually gets overlooked. We never completely go into winter mode down here. There is always some grass and trees with leaves at all times. Right now the clover is so bad in my front yard I will have to mow before February. I feel for you up there. I was watching the games this weekend and they said during the Steelers/Jets game the temp was 8 with a wind chill of -4!

'72 blazer 2wd build

Old 01-24-2011, 11:04 AM   #221
Critter
Future TOTM Winner

You've definitely got your work cut out for you, literally! But you've done a great job so far and I sure you will continue. When you mention that you are replacing the "whole panel" do you mean the entire bedside?

Check it out www.lsdyno.com
Critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 01:19 PM   #222
1956cameo

Hey Critter! No not the whole bedside (although that is propably what I should have done). The panel I am referring to is the inner support panel that is in the back corner of the bed. I should have taken a picture of it half removed before I left for the day. Anyways it goes behind the inner bed panel on the front and wraps down to the tailgate hinge on the back. It will be fun to replace!

'72 blazer 2wd build

Old 01-24-2011, 01:26 PM   #223
Critter
Future TOTM Winner

Ahh, that's kinda what I was guessing just wasn't sure. From what I can see and hear from your posts I have a feeling your/your dads parts truck collection is pretty impressive! It sounds like if you need a part you just go out, find the best one, and pull it off the parts truck. I'M JEALOUS!

Check it out www.lsdyno.com
Critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 02:01 PM   #224
1956cameo

Critter, If it werent for the parts trucks I would definately be SCREWED!! Right now we only have about 5 67-72 style parts trucks, but hopefully I will get some more. As it stands I have enough donor panels left on our current parts trucks that I can finish the blazer, my suburban, and my 69 shortbed truck. If I end up getting another project vehicle that needs panels I will need to start finding more parts trucks with good panels. I guess sane people would restore the trucks with good panels and not cut them up to fix up rusty trucks but I guess that is what makes me special!

'72 blazer 2wd build

Old 01-24-2011, 02:04 PM   #225
Jeffs70

wow you surely have alot of hard work going into this project, Much respect to you and digging so far into this project to find all the spots to be repaired. not many others would go through what you are. Great job for sure.
Jeffs70 is offline   Reply With Quote