The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-13-2018, 01:41 AM   #1
Super_Dave

My New to Me 98 Silverado got hit today. . . parts help

My recent purchase of a clean, use to be straight '98 silverado got hit in the mouth today.

I was in the far right lane coming up on my exit. A black Nissan pulled a three lane drift and cut in front of me at the exit. I Black gal gave me the stink eye on her way by me.

After taking the exit, she came to a slow crawl and kept staring in her mirror at me. We made it to the stop sign, where she proceeded to turn right on a red light. . . no big deal. I started a slow roll forward to see what was coming across the over pass before turning right.

I saw black SUV came racing down the overpass, so I stayed on the brakes waiting for them to pass. As soon as they got to me, the lights went out. . . like everything went dark for a few seconds. When I turned to look in front of me, wondering what the hell just happened, I see this Black gal in her Nissan starting to get out of her car! She had slammed her car into reverse and smashed into the front of my truck!!

I pulled around her and stopped I motioned for her to follow me to the parking lot next to the stop sign. . . which she did. There wasn't much room to park, but I managed to get a spot against the curb right next to the highway where she whacked me. I looked at the front of my truck and didn't see much damage initially. . . not much room to get in front and look, so I was peering from the drivers front corner. Bad decision on my part.

So I saunter over to her car and hardly a scratch on it! This 5' nothing chubby Black gal jumps out and takes one look at my 6' 3" not to happy face and her demeanor changed.

I asked her what she was thinking and she said "there was a truck coming and the light was red. . ."
Yeah, so what? You were already turned. . .
"I was afraid he was going to hit me."

She opened her trunk and apparently her whole life was in there. . . She said "I have insurance, do you have insurance?" I told he I did. She said "It doesn't look like there is any damage." Yup, I agreed.

So I said "do you just want to leave it as is?" Remember, I hadn't seen my truck from the front as there was no room get in front for a good look. PLUS, I am having thoughts about the fact that I just settled a $2200 claim on my '74 Project truck from a a guy in his girlfriends BMW that tried to rearrange the rear of my truck (photos in my build thread) and didn't want the dreaded "you are a target rate increase" for two clowns hitting both trucks in less than 5 months time.

So, before I can get to my truck and take a final look, this gal is in her car, screaming through the intersection and headed back down I-5 South where she was headed before her three lane drift!

So, I get in the truck and head home. On the way I notice my hood doesn't look right. After parking in the driveway, I get out and holy crap! The lower part of the drivers side bumper is caved in, the valance is busted, chrome grill is broken in three or more places. . . and later, as the sun was setting and shining just right, I can see that the front fender has a buckle in it right above the wheel centerline!
Name:  Bumper 1.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  53.1 KB Name:  Valance 1.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  57.5 KB
Name:  Fender 1.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  9.8 KB

I also noticed a small, white plastic part in the channel of the rubber floor mat. . . with the worlds smallest ball bearing embedded in it. I have no idea what that part is or if it's even off the truck. I think it is, because I am pretty anal about things on the floorboards and would have seen it earlier. So, if anyone who can ID it, I would appreciate it.
Name:  Mystery Part 2.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  17.6 KB Name:  Mystery Part 3.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  16.8 KB

In the end, I think she was trying to pull an insurance scam. . . until a 6' 3" 265 pound angry white guy got out of the truck! Then she couldn't wait to get out of there.

So, because I was concerned about my insurance company calling me a "TARGET", it's now pick-n-pull time.

And I definitely need to identify this small white plastic part with the ball bearing.

"Life is tough - wear a cup!"
"Old Enough to Know Better - Too Young to Resist"
"Junk is something you will need three weeks after you throw it away."
Super_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 07:56 AM   #2
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Re: My New to Me 98 Silverado got hit today. . . parts help

Sorry to hear about the bangup. Not sure what the part is. Hope you have good luck getting the stuff you need.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 11:39 AM   #3
Super_Dave

Thanks Bill,

I have a line on a couple of candidates at the local pick-n-pull. My son also works for a large dismantler and has a white GMC with a great bumper, valance and fender. Grille is another question altogether. The only issue is waiting until June for the parts when we go to his wedding.

I am amazed that the gals car had essentially no damage. Still can't figure that out.

Also very fortunate the impact didn't deploy my air bag (then again, maybe it's not working). I would have a broken arm at the very least (along with a concussion), as I was leaning over the wheel and looking to my left at oncoming traffic. God was looking after me for sure.

"Life is tough - wear a cup!"
"Old Enough to Know Better - Too Young to Resist"
"Junk is something you will need three weeks after you throw it away."
Super_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 01:19 PM   #4
Mr_Rich

With that much damage to your front end I'm sure she has some structural damage as well. Some of the crush areas bounced back on the SUV and it isn't clearly evident. She'll probably notice later on the doors aren't closing like they used to or something like that. These trucks are pretty darn solid, IMO.
1997 K2500 Chev. EC 7.4L/ 4L80E
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 HD R/C
Mr_Rich is offline   Reply With Quote