The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-16-2014, 11:26 PM   #1
cabinetman

Steering Position Sensor 04 Tahoe

Hi guys, I have a 2004 Tahoe Z71 with loose steering. I had my alignment shop check it out and they said everything is tight and the alignment is on. He adjusted the steering gear box because he thought the previous owner had messed with it by how it felt driving it. This helped A LOT with the slower in town driving but it is exhausting at freeway and interstate speeds not because of effort but because constant correction ( Thank God I don't drink and drive).

Maybe too much background but here's the point I have read 15mil posts about the steering sensor on the interior column by the brake pedal. Mine has the gray plastic mount but no sensor or pig tail connector to be found (And I looked). My "00 Yukon XL has one and as far as I know does not have AutoRide or Stabilitrak. Should I have one or do I just need to tell my alignment guy to adjust to one end or the other of the GM spec range.

Also my front shocks are new not the rear but can't imagine bad rears making this much slop.

Appreciate the help Thanks,
Mike
cabinetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:26 AM   #2
Boog
laying low

Re: Steering Position Sensor 04 Tahoe

A quick check at O'Reillys finds a steering speed sensor listed for your vehicle. Normally the symtom of a faulty steering speed sensor is a twichyness during a turn. It feels somewhat unnerving while making a turn at speed. As far as looseness or sloppy? I've not heard of that feeling associated with this sensor. That condition is more normally caused by worn steering linkage such as the idler arm, pitman arm and in some cases the steering sector itself. Proper tire inflation is necessary also for it to trac straight. Also proper toe in adjustment keeps the vehicle heading straight. Excessive correction imput is not normal. You might try moving the steering tires to the rear and see how it reacts. Or try another alignment shop for a second opinion.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 11:53 AM   #3
cabinetman

Thanks Boog, I did a lot of reading on that sensor last night from what I understand at highway speeds it decreases the help from power steering making it less easy to turn until that sensor detects movement. Problem is that the location where mine should be is empty. I cannot find a socket or pigtail to plug one into. Otherwise for the price and ease of installation I would have replaced it before I go tearing into more expensive fixes.

I think I will get a second opinion on the alignment though and see if they can maybe move it to one end or the other of the spec range. the strange thing is that at speeds under say 45mph it tracks and steers great. I will post updates when I know more.
Old 06-17-2014, 05:50 PM   #4
cabinetman

Talked to the gm mechanic, he said previous owner probably pulled the steering position sensor to eliminate a stability system light and zip-tied the pig tail. so i have just dropped the column on his advice to find it and still nothing. nothing loose nothing cut, nothing christ its an easy fix if i could just plug the %#&^ in.
Old 07-06-2014, 10:40 PM   #5
Leinie

There is a kit from GM that you can use to delete the whole setup.
You remove the variable valve on the back of the pump and replace it with a made to fit power steering line.

learn more https://www.google.com/#q=gm+part+%2319168825
Leinie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:20 AM   #6
cabinetman

I have an update to this thread. I believe now that our particular Tahoe does not have that steering system. I had my brother look at his Z71 Tahoe, same year, options, etc. and he does not have the steering position sensor either. The best information I have now is that without the StabiliTrak option which I don't have that part is deleted. Maybe someone else can confirm but that is the best guess I have right now.