The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-17-2017, 10:03 AM   #1
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

Haggerty Insurance turned me down

They said the truck makes too much horsepwer. What else is good?
Tom Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 10:05 AM   #2
CaptRMW
Custom Sport W/T

Location: Tarpon Springs,Fl & Annapolis,Md. ....................Quaint drinking villages with a fishing problem
Re: Haggerty Insurance turned me down

Try Safeco.
CaptRMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 10:15 AM   #3
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

??? That's even a question? I've never been asked that, I think I would have kept that one to myself. Call back and talk to a different rep and don't tell them about the HP this time?

Grundy is supposed to be good as well.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 04:37 PM   #4
El Dorado Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck View Post
??? That's even a question? I've never been asked that, I think I would have kept that one to myself. Call back and talk to a different rep and don't tell them about the HP this time?

Grundy is supposed to be good as well.
x2 on talking to a different rep
El Dorado Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 10:25 AM   #5
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

Yes, that was a specific question from the rep, and I try and be honest. Actually, Grundy is half the price. It just seems I read somewhere that Grundy doesnt pay claims well, and that worries me.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:27 AM   #6
RMBLFSH

How much is too much?
RMBLFSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 07:39 PM   #7
CST10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vogel View Post
Yes, that was a specific question from the rep, and I try and be honest. Actually, Grundy is half the price. It just seems I read somewhere that Grundy doesnt pay claims well, and that worries me.
I've had 2 claims with Grundy. They paid on both more than I thought they would.
Brutus the 1998 Camaro Z28, 33,500 original miles, LS1, 519 RWHP/497 RWTQ.
Member of the Louisiana Classic Truck Club, LCTC
Member of the Louisiana C10 Club
Member of the Baton Rouge Drifters Car Club
CST10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 10:50 PM   #8
Z10

Quote:
I had a claim with Grundy a few years ago. The claim was paid within 10 days. I've been with them for over 15 years and currently have 3 vehicles insure with them.
1979 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 & 1979 Pontiac Trans Am 10th Anniversary
1999 Honda Valkyrie
2006 Corvette Z06
2010 BMW 650i
Z10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 10:58 PM   #9
mixermike

I have been with Grundy about 15 years. I currently insure 4 trucks with them, all modified one way or another. Had my first claim last year when a tree fell on my shop. No hassle no guestions. 2 trucks were damaged, money in my hand in less than 2 weeks... = happy customer
mixermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 11:55 PM   #10
my56chevytruck

Quote:
Tom,
I have Grundy and have only one claim and they paid within 3 days complete. And if asked about HP, say, don't know, mines a cruiser.
my56chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 03:57 PM   #11
Elliot949
Dan Johnston

Quote:
American Classic insurance is the worst about payouts... I have heard bad things about Grundy also...

I have Hagerty on my truck...

Haulin's Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=671130SOLD

B Bears Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=744210
Elliot949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 09:19 PM   #12
CST10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot949 View Post
American Classic insurance is the worst about payouts... I have heard bad things about Grundy also...

I have Hagerty on my truck...
I have Grundy insurance on 3 vehicle. Had 2 claims in the last 4 years. Fastest payout for the damages I’ve ever heard of. Called it in one day, next week they inspected, 5 days later had the check for over $13K. 12 days ain’t bad in my eyes.

Oh and my rates did not increase either.

I know someone else with the same Grundy story. Maybe it’s the area inspectors adjusters we have down here. IDK
Brutus the 1998 Camaro Z28, 33,500 original miles, LS1, 519 RWHP/497 RWTQ.
Member of the Louisiana Classic Truck Club, LCTC
Member of the Louisiana C10 Club
Member of the Baton Rouge Drifters Car Club
CST10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 10:44 AM   #13
James the III

Quote:
They said the truck makes too much horsepwer. What else is good?
What was the insurance..
A c-10 with big h/p doesn't = race car that only be used at a track(they don't cover it while on the track) or shown..

it ='s a hot rod used on the street...
They insure that, but I'll bet it had more to do with the value you think it's worth..
speed parts are higher theft, these trucks are easy pickings..

Grundy ask if it has the stock or replaced engine also..
but doesn't ask what h/p it makes..
These came with i6/sbc/bbc so unless you have a ls with a turbo hanging off it..
no one will really care.. if you claim there is 15-20k in the engine then well...
The gig is up.. to many with collector insurance are going to cruises and wrecking on the way in and out showing off and acting like fools, most without the skills to back up the power.. Collector insurance don't like paying for new vehicle repairs when the dope in the old car/truck looses it..
James the III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 11:26 AM   #14
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

[QUOTE=James the III;7861571]What was the insurance..
A c-10 with big h/p doesn't = race car
It is a street truck and will never be raced.
these trucks are easy pickings..
Mine will be kept indoors

Grundy ask if it has the stock or replaced engine also..
but doesn't ask what h/p it makes..
These came with i6/sbc/bbc so unless you have a ls with a turbo hanging off it..
no one will really care.. if you claim there is 15-20k in the engine then well...
The gig is up.
Yes, Ive got that much in the engine. And way more than that in the rest of the truck. However, alot of guys have way more than that n their vehicles.
Old 02-17-2017, 01:29 PM   #15
James the III

Quote:
[.
Yes, Ive got that much in the engine. And way more than that in the rest of the truck. However, alot of guys have way more than that n their vehicles.
Don't matter... The insurer will asked themselves why so much in the engine..
answer is to go fast.. and to use it..
that =risk.

It is why my truck is 143.oo a year and my chevelle was 3 times that..
they know the chevelle will most likely be drivin harder.. more risk..

listing the truck at a worth 15k more than it be to replace it they want to know why you feel it's worth that.. you say x dollars in engine.. they know a basic v8 doesn't cost that.. not in these.. it's not a date matched hemi cuda..

I got 20k in a sbc I could put in my truck.. if I did and told them this.. I'd expect a hahahaha sorry. no..
but listing it as a 350 v8 no red lights go off..
To get a vehicle insured with huge money in a drivetrain you have to insure it as a hot rod /race car.. as the coverage will expect the value of the drivetrain to be that high and your bill will reflect that..

The truck that has money in the engine is a magnet for thieves.. insurers know this..
my basic 350 truck is less likely to get taken than your truck with big money engine /trans in it.. even if we both insure them for the same dollar value..
insurance is all about risk..

I'd insure it as a hot rod/ race car that way they'll cover the mod and high dollar parts.. but don't expect a 143 a year bill like a stock looking truck

Last edited by James the III; 02-17-2017 at 01:38 PM.
Old 02-17-2017, 06:02 PM   #16
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

[QUOTE
I'd insure it as a hot rod/ race car that way they'll cover the mod and high dollar parts.. but don't expect a 143 a year bill like a stock looking truck[/QUOTE]
I was expecting around $1000.00 a year. I told them it would be in an enclosed trailer in a locked garage that is alarmed, heated, cooled and with 24 hour surveillance. They said, 'not interested'.
Old 02-18-2017, 09:19 AM   #17
James the III

Quote:
[QUOTE
I'd insure it as a hot rod/ race car that way they'll cover the mod and high dollar parts.. but don't expect a 143 a year bill like a stock looking truck
I was expecting around $1000.00 a year. I told them it would be in an enclosed trailer in a locked garage that is alarmed, heated, cooled and with 24 hour surveillance. They said, 'not interested'.[/QUOTE]

Most vehicle they take and pay out a loss on, are stored in a trailer on wheels.
alarmed/etc..

no wonder they said nope..

An alarm and camera's on it don't mean much.. as a dually rolls up with no tags, hooks up and takes off within a minute...
A google search will show thousands of collector cars and trailer, sometimes even with the owners dually, taken and never seen again..
Now if you said it be in an alarmed and camera garage with the door blocked with daily drivers. 90% of the time.. and anti theif thinks on the vehicle..
you might have had a better chance..
enclosed trailer is a big sign.. steal me..

Last edited by James the III; 02-18-2017 at 09:24 AM.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:37 PM   #18
special-K
Special Order

The more you have into them the more they insure it for. That is not an issue. I never heard of Hagerty, or others, drawing a line on HP in a particular vehicle, but nothing amazes me. That's who I have because they seemed to be easier on use.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 12:53 PM   #19
Keith Seymore

I have Hagerty on all my collector vehicles; they have never asked about horsepower.

GTO is 360 HP (rated).

Chevelle is somewhere around 1000 HP.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 01:00 PM   #20
Jcfcamaro

Is Hagerty insuring c10/k10 trucks now? 8 years ago I went with them on my camaro and asked about my 72 c10. They told me they quit insuring trucks because they were being used too much to haul things like going to lowes ect.
Jcfcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 04:35 PM   #21
El Dorado Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcfcamaro View Post
Is Hagerty insuring c10/k10 trucks now? 8 years ago I went with them on my camaro and asked about my 72 c10. They told me they quit insuring trucks because they were being used too much to haul things like going to lowes ect.
I insured my 72 K20 through Hagerty last year...no problem
El Dorado Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 11:31 PM   #22
70cst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcfcamaro View Post
I also have insured the Circuit Rider with Haggerty Insurance before the frame off and now ...

My truck was hit by a Tornado 12/23/15 - it will be finished in about 2 weeks with a total repaint and body work - so far no issues.

HP was never asked ...

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 05:59 PM   #23
THI

I know that if you have a supercharger, turbocharger (we are talking aftermarket) or nitrous Hagerty will not insure your vehicle. The will look at a vehicle as either stock or modified - if the engine puts out more HP than the highest rated engine available for the vehicle it will have to be rated as Modified. If the engine is not much more than the highest rated one for that year, they can still rate as stock. I have a 1981 K5 Blazer with a mild 383 they consider stock even though the biggest engine offered that year was a 350.

If you call them back, they will have notes in the system from your previous call so I would not try to "snow" them - just be honest about what you have. I am in the insurance business and I represent Hagerty as well as insure my classics with them. Keep in mind their least experienced folks are the ones answering the phones and my not be totally familiar with what you have. I have had them refuse a vehicle because they thought it had nitrous, I had to go back and get a better photo of the engine so they could see there were not lines to the carb - this was on a mid-1980's Pro-Street Camaro with a very healthy 383, they also covered a mid 1980's C10 short box that was tubed and had a roll cage installed with an extremely healthy 454.

As mentioned above, there is no coverage while on a track! That is for all insurance companies, not just Hagerty.
THI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 07:19 PM   #24
Rickysnickers

I have AAA for my '57. There haven't been any issues with getting or renewing it.
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 12:29 AM   #25
Blue72slab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickysnickers View Post
I have AAA for my '57. There haven't been any issues with getting or renewing it.
I have AAA on my 68 Camaro and it is very reasonable. I have a regular policy for our DD as well but they have a classic car policy that may be worth checking out for your truck.
1980 GMC K5 Sierra Classic
Blue72slab is offline   Reply With Quote