The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-03-2017, 02:07 PM   #1
Grandpas 72

Rust in Pillar

I was working on my 72 LWB the other day and I decided to grab a flashlight and look up inside the front drivers side door Pillar. The inside of the pillar is rusted as far up as I could see. I am having trouble figuring out how to get the rust cleaned out of there. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on cleaning that up? Thanks
Grandpas 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 02:13 PM   #2
raggedjim

Re: Rust in Pillar

I always try to spray those areas with phosphoric acid. Not sure how good a job it does, but it makes me feel like I did something!

You could also get some cavity wax and spray it in there. Without splitting it apart I think that's about the best you can do.

Good luck, Rg

'68 Short step - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=849675
'69 ('70?) 2wd Blazer
'70 GMC Jimmy 2wd
raggedjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 04:27 PM   #3
Gromit

I've tried this stuff - (Blaster Corrosion Stop) it isn't a paint so it does sort of wear off or dissipate after a few months to a year - I don't think it can hurt the truck or has any downside unless you breathe it in but it definitely takes the anger out of surface rust.. I think it slows the rust down considerably. Very available at Home Depot at least in my area. Photo attached

If you google the words rust stop or stop rust you will get a lot of alternative spray products. Volkswagen and Mercedes use something like a mix of paraffin and I think kerosene but it must be considered too dangerous to sell to the public due to flammability because I don't think I've seen it for sale anywhere.

The stuff called "Rust Converter" by I think Rustoleum is very different than this stuff in that once you apply it on it is near impossible to remove unless you break out the 60 grit angle grinder and even then a lot of work to get back to metal.
Attached Images

Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 04:50 PM   #4
darrellyates

Check out KBS Coatings, or POR 15. I believe you can get a wand, or make one, and shoot the stuff inside the pillars, rockers, between the roof layers... Well, you get the idea.

I also saw a thread on this website where a guy used a wand and POR 15 inside most of a Suburban, I think it was. Works very well for getting inside between layers of metal.
darrellyates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 05:24 PM   #5
Grandpas 72

Thank you guys for the ideas. I appreciate all the help!
Old 11-03-2017, 07:30 PM   #6
HO455
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrellyates View Post
Check out KBS Coatings, or POR 15. I believe you can get a wand, or make one, and shoot the stuff inside the pillars, rockers, between the roof layers... Well, you get the idea.

I also saw a thread on this website where a guy used a wand and POR 15 inside most of a Suburban, I think it was. Works very well for getting inside between layers of metal.
I did the wand and POR 15 treatment on my Burban. The write up is in my WMB thread. (Link below) I did drill some extra holes to allow better access. Short of completely dipping the cab or cutting the cab open I don't know of any other way to inhibit the rusting. There are lots of products you could use. I went with POR 15 as it has worked well for me in the past and I can get it locally at a discount.
I think you could do a lower budget version by using one of the aerosol rust convertors with the spray nozzle and long tube from a SeaFoam throttle body cleaner can.
Attached Images

If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 09:11 PM   #7
saxart

I've had great luck using this stuff on the inside of a boxed Jeep frame. It's a paint, not a wax or an oil. I'm not certain that the actual paint is all that special, but the 24" long nozzle is fantastic. I ended up keeping the nozzle, cleaned it out with mineral spirits, and put it on a can of Rustoleum satin black to give another coat to the inside of the frame the next day.

http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-int...z-aerosol.html
Old 11-04-2017, 12:54 PM   #8
Grandpas 72

I really like the looks of that 24" nozzle. Thanks for the ideas ��