The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-01-2017, 07:15 PM   #1
In The Ten Ring

AN fitting users....can you give me advice?

I found a neat PDF file on AN fittings, which I saved and will read through again.

I am not at all happy with the hardline from pump to carb. Mine came from Inline Tube and is just too hard to get straight. I suspect AN fittings and braided hose are popular because it's so easy to line up.

What fittings will I need and where to get those?

250 I6
Rochester Monojet Carb
In-carb fuel filter
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 09:41 PM   #2
70STOVEBOLT

Re: AN fitting users....can you give me advice?

I do t know if you can adapt AN to inverted flare. The fitting at the carb is 5/16 female inverted flare. I will look at work tomorrow to see if someone makes an adapter and let you know what I find.

Owner installed options:
Front Sway Bar
Power Steering
Power Brakes
Cigar Lighter
Courtesy Lights
Deluxe Side Markers
Wiper Delay
Power windows
Power Locks

Coming soon: EFI

2015 Silverado 1500 LS 4.3/6L80/3.23
70STOVEBOLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 10:44 PM   #3
B. W.

Not trying to steer you one way or the other but if you have a brake tubing bender you can bend your own and put it right where you want it (might take several tries)

I made 2, but it took me three tries cause I kept bending it in the wrong direction! The first was green poly armor brake line, didn't like the green so I bead blasted it. Didn't like that so I bent one out of regular brake line.

this setup uses an AN to inverted flare adapter made by Russel where the fuel line coming off of the carb goes to brake line. If you go AN, you need the opposite I think - male IF to female AN. Like 70stovebolt said, not sure if they make it.
Attached Images

B. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 11:25 PM   #4
In The Ten Ring

I will appreciate whatever help you guys can give.

I have thought about bending my own tubes (I have yards of poly armor left over from making my own fuel line from the tank) but I am so disillusioned with what happened today I really don't want another hard line.
Old 11-01-2017, 11:40 PM   #5
randy500
Account Suspended

Summit racing has all you need, Aeroquip -6 is the size to use and they make adapter fittings for the carb. Its really nice stuff but a bit hard to use for the first few times. Think they make push on fittings and hose too, which is real easy to use.
randy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 12:08 AM   #6
In The Ten Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy500 View Post
Summit racing has all you need, Aeroquip -6 is the size to use and they make adapter fittings for the carb. Its really nice stuff but a bit hard to use for the first few times. Think they make push on fittings and hose too, which is real easy to use.
Aeroquip would have what I need considering my Rochester Monojet carb with manual choke? I mean, it's hardly a racing engine or anything high performance.

I'll start making some calls in the morning. Thanks and keep the advice coming if you have it.
Old 11-02-2017, 01:51 AM   #7
Silver68
Account Suspended

AN fitting are primarily used in aviation have a flare of 37 1/2 degrees and automotive have a flare of 45 degrees.
Silver68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 03:45 AM   #8
SIXTY9

Look at this in the vendors market adds he has a lot of good products at fair prices for fuel lines. HotRodfuelhose, his name is Justin.
SIXTY9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 07:09 AM   #9
Killer Bee

true AN [Air Force - Navy] is a 37° flare angle but tighter thread class that industrial JIC [joint industrial council] which is also a 37° flare angle..

explanation here;
AN 37° Flare vs Industrial 37° Flare Fittings: What's the Difference?

SAE [society of automotive engineers] is typically a 45° flare angle and share thread pitches with JIC on smaller sizes EXCEPT -6 and -12 which consequently will not even thread together..

JIC is more common in steel, high pressure hydraulic applications but very plentiful in local fitting houses.. also not as pretty as typical anodized aluminum AN fittings if bling is your thing..

see chart here [scroll down];
FLUID PORT AND CONNECTOR Identification Guide

dash sizes are the number of 1/16 of an inch, for example -4 = 1/4", -8 = 1/2", etc.

true AN is not recommended for mating with JIC so one, the other, or SAE should be used consistently, at least where two fittings mate..

automotive application manufacturers like Earls and Russell will likely have everything for common automotive applications however also likely more expensive that their industrial counterparts.. advantage though is ease of ordering to specific application, small quantities, and user friendly vendors like summit, jegs, etc.

one of the inverted flare to ANM [AN male or same callout in JIC would be JICM] you need might be something like this;

Russell AN to Inverted Flare Fittings 640381

corresponding ANF [female hose ends, typically swivels] should be used to mate.. re-usable style hose ends are preferred where you can disassemble and replace the hose from damage, to change length, etc. and re-use the hose end.. these types are more expensive that industrial style crimp fittings but of course, they are re-usable and crimps of course are not..

hose end swivel fittings typically come in STR straight, 45°, 90°.. some manufactures also offer in between offset angles and even negative to full 180° angle fittings for special reach without additional adapters.. and some manufactures even offer L long 90° and LL extra long 90° where two fitting are in line with each other and one has to reach over the other..

the hose end swivel is the ideal location for the angled fitting over the adapter flare, inverted flare, npt, etc. due to the ability to orient or point the hose the specific direction desired while not having to adjust hard fitting engagement that may not tighten in the direction you need.. most adapters will also be more readily available in straight anyways..

pro-tip; invest in [or borrow] the re-usable fitting assembly tools for the sizes you plan to make up.. they aid in proper assembly, prevent hose flappers, and reduce chances of joint failure.. and simply make assembly much easier, especially for a novice though not required if you're paying attention..

pro-tip; tightly wrap steel braid hose with electrical tape where you plan to cut to minimize fraying which makes assembly more difficult and less reliable..

so once you've identified all of your component fitting callouts, you should be able to mail order just about everything you'll need to make professional quality, custom hose assemblies right in your own garage..

good luck!
Killer Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 08:40 AM   #10
special-K
Special Order

The pre-bent Inline Tube part didn't fit? I've been amazed at how perfect all their stuff has fit for me. I think a rigid line bent to fit is your best way to go

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 09:06 AM   #11
70STOVEBOLT

I am not finding anything in my Weatherhead products catalog that adapts inverted flare to AN. You might have to go with Russell or Earl's to get what you need from Summit or Jeg's etc. I used a hose with teflon inner tube and braided stainless steel to make my fuel line with crimped male inverted flare 90 degree hose ends.

Owner installed options:
Front Sway Bar
Power Steering
Power Brakes
Cigar Lighter
Courtesy Lights
Deluxe Side Markers
Wiper Delay
Power windows
Power Locks

Coming soon: EFI

2015 Silverado 1500 LS 4.3/6L80/3.23
70STOVEBOLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 01:39 PM   #12
In The Ten Ring

Just got off phone with Summit Racing, the sales guy Conrad and I were on the line for over an hour. I ordered a vice tool to help with cutting, 6 feet of braided SS hose, four fittings, and an inline fuel filter. Color is "non anodized" aluminum since my engine is oily stock.

*Conrad stated this hose was good for both non-ethanol and ethanol gasoline and should last from here on out. I can replace the hose every few years just to be sure.

So we'll see how this goes...I'll try and keep you guys abreast. Thanks for all the advice.

Last edited by In The Ten Ring; 11-02-2017 at 01:50 PM.
Old 11-02-2017, 01:57 PM   #13
randy500
Account Suspended

You will like the hose and fittings. when screwing the fittings together oil the threads and inside the hose real well, its a must.
Ive used them on lots of cars but the one I have had the longest is on my boat fuel pump to carb, I have removed the carb end dozens of times to empty the fuel tank or siphon fuel with the electric pump, its still like new and very quick to remove and install.
randy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 07:57 PM   #14
In The Ten Ring

I am excited.

New question though, how do you SS hose guys cut your braided hose?
Old 11-02-2017, 09:55 PM   #15
mike16

If you go on Amazon, there are many aviation maintenance training text books for sale at very reasonable prices. they have excellent explainations about AN fittings.
mike16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 10:03 PM   #16
Killer Bee

high speed, thin abrasive wheel.. 3" or bigger minimum to make straight cut without binding hose on tool.. hose shops use special bench cutters with steel blades.. not sure if these types of blades are available in portable air tool sizes and arbor sizes but I've never had any trouble with thin abrasive wheels using care..

you can make a rough cut an inch or so long and make your final cut neat with small scrap leftover..

as I mentioned above, tightly wrap the cut location with electrical tape to minimize fray..

make the cut swift without crushing.. cutting time too long will melt hose lining, too fast will crush hose leaving fish lips cut.. practice on ends before cutting first full length will improve your odds if not experienced..

and if your hose is small and light, like what you're using, you can use a small wood or plastic dowel or stiff tubing that loosely fits hose ID.. cut one end at a time and knock out or blow out cuttoff piece from opposite side.. again, make a little longer rough cut and repeat with dowel for second final cut..

clean hose lining with solvent, brake clean, etc. that is compatible with hose and will evaporate.. purge with shop air, mind your PPEs.. don't leave any hose residue from cutting in the hose.. also inspect both ends for slag from cutting and debur if necessary.. I never use factory cuts, I make my own first cut and measure from there..

inspect the ends and lining before assembly.. use hose lube, grease, etc. that's compatible with hose and intended purpose fluids..

ready for assembly, good luck!
Killer Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 09:34 AM   #17
drewbert41

I bought all of the connectors, pre made hoses, and filter from different places online and assembled. Bought flared one for fuel pump, a 45 degree bend, 12" hose, filter, 8" hose, and the big 1" one for 2bbl Rochester. I will post a pic later.
drewbert41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 09:37 PM   #18
HotRodfuelhose

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIXTY9 View Post
Look at this in the vendors market adds he has a lot of good products at fair prices for fuel lines. HotRodfuelhose, his name is Justin.
Thanks man, If you have any questions about AN fittings, hose, size adapters, hose size needs, ect. I would be happy to help.

http://www.hotrodfuelhose.com
HotRodfuelhose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 03:59 AM   #19
In The Ten Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRodfuelhose View Post
Thanks man, If you have any questions about AN fittings, hose, size adapters, hose size needs, ect. I would be happy to help.

http://www.hotrodfuelhose.com
I actually looked for you man and you may be able to help. Summit sent the wrong fitting to make my Rochester Monojet work with the hose. If you have that part, you can really help me out.