The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-07-2017, 06:55 PM   #1
truckster

Harbor Freight Tubing Notcher

Harbor Freight is always a roll of the dice. I have a 20-ton shop press I've had over 20 years and it works great. But this week I needed to build some racks out of 1 1/4 inch .120 wall steel tube. I went to HF after dutifully reading the reviews, and true to most of them, I had to shim the clamp to get the hole saw centered - that was no big deal. It wasn't quite square at 90 degrees, but again not a big deal. But then, on the third piece of tubing, the top bushing came out and would not stay in. That made the notcher totally useless. I can't recommend this to anyone, just in case you're thinking about it.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 09:37 PM   #2
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

Re: Harbor Freight Tubing Notcher

Yeah H.f used to be cheaper, and low quality stuff, But for the hobbist,, it seemed to last for the 10-12 uses we put it through over a 10 year span. Now,, not a thing they make I can say is worth buying. I'm sure others have had luck with some of their junk. But my luck with them has ALL been bad for quite a few years now.

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 12:15 AM   #3
mongocanfly
Post Whore

I got mine from eastwood..decent quality but I also had to shim the clamp out to get the tube centered..
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 09:34 PM   #4
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

IMO there are a list of Do's and Don't with HF stuff. For the most part stuff like clamps, straps, blocks, chains, tarps etc are all fine for the money. Its for "I need it now" stuff, not "I need it every day" stuff.

I always try to keep stuff like an HF set of wrenches, breaker bars, clamps etc...so I can cut and weld them into oddball special use tools.

Stuff like benders, presses, jigs, I look at Northern Tool or Eastwood. They have the "prosumer" and "hobbyist" grade stuff IMO. Eastwood has a great setup for auto specific tools, but you do pay a little more than you might from an HF (if the tool exists at both).

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 01:01 AM   #5
toolboxchev

Its a free market. So buyer beware, been down that road with them. Pipe expander snapped first time using it.

So now I love their 9 mil gloves on sale with the 20% off coupon.

Other than that, Its only on Halloween at Midnight you will find me at Harbor Fright!

Sheez I wont even buy their wrenches to cut up. I get 40 year old Craftsmen at the local tool reseller at a buck a peice for that! Ha take that China!
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 01:28 AM   #6
truckster

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolboxchev View Post
Its a free market. So buyer beware, been down that road with them. Pipe expander snapped first time using it.

So now I love their 9 mil gloves on sale with the 20% off coupon.

Other than that, Its only on Halloween at Midnight you will find me at Harbor Fright!

Sheez I wont even buy their wrenches to cut up. I get 40 year old Craftsmen at the local tool reseller at a buck a peice for that! Ha take that China!
I wish I knew of a place I could buy old Craftsman tools for cheap. They used to actually make some decent tools.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 03:44 AM   #7
mongocanfly
Post Whore

There's a local trade day here that has a seller that has tons of old wrenchs and sockets..might try a trade day if you have one local to you
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 07:02 AM   #8
GR8-68

Imo harbor freight, northern tool and eastwood are selling the same crap, they just paint it a different color and put their own labels on it. If you truly compare you can tell there is not a difference in quality just one can charge more than the other because their name has been in the automotive industry longer.

It is easily overlooked that what is now called vintage was once brand new.

"Project 68"

paypal.me/ldgrant
GR8-68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 10:32 AM   #9
DPowers
One foot in front of the other

Words from my dad:
"If you are only going to use it once or twice, buy cheap. If you are going to use it more than that, buy quality."
DPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 12:07 AM   #10
Domer

The best motto i ever learned for Harbor Freight tools, "Harbor Freight makes it, You make it better." With that in mind, i have modified alot of HF equipment and made them work pretty damn good.
Domer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 10:16 AM   #11
truckster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domer View Post
The best motto i ever learned for Harbor Freight tools, "Harbor Freight makes it, You make it better." With that in mind, i have modified alot of HF equipment and made them work pretty damn good.
True, but I had already modified this one to be square in 3 axis; it was the material failure that doomed it. Yes, I could have bored it out and installed bearings, but that was more than I was willing to do for a HF notcher.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:18 AM   #12
Domer

Oh ya, not everything is saveable from them.. pick and choose your battles..
Domer is offline   Reply With Quote