The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-16-2017, 09:58 AM   #1
BomberVette

My DD Crew Build

I have been wanting for years a crew square body. I have finally talked my way into a crew for a DD. When I started looking there was NO 4wd's out there close. The only ones were 2wd and a lot of money and I had a small budget. So I took a chance and got a 85 2wd GMC with 82000ish miles 454 and a turbo 400. It wasn't running but turned over and had oil pressure. With all the oil and coolant that looked good and " smelled " good. So as you can see its a blue on blue GMC with an amazing bed NO dents anywhere and a ****ty tailgate.
Attached Images

BomberVette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 11:09 AM   #2
BomberVette

Re: My DD Crew Build

Si I took the time and got the truck running and driving. Everything worked but the AC. When I got the truck I wanted a 4wd. So I was going to make a 4wd. So I did my research on the forums on how to due the swap. I was all in on the swap. So the hunt for a cheap 4wd was on. It needed to be auto and have a bed because I wanted to lost the dually. After losting a couple of trucks I finally found one I could go look at. When we got to the truck mice made the inside a hotel and it smelled great. The 350 ran but it didn't really need the motor. It drove up on the trailer and that's all I needed. After getting it back to the shop I drove it around make sure the trans and T-case works. Some doughnuts and giggles were had. Then a long shower after the drive was a must.
Attached Images

Old 06-16-2017, 01:15 PM   #3
daddyjeep

Congrats on getting the truck you have been after. Is it just the pic, or is the dash in the parts truck really not cracked?
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=786514
daddyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 10:18 PM   #4
BomberVette

The dash is in really good shape only one crack. It will be going in Crew after some really GOOD cleaning.
Old 06-17-2017, 01:21 PM   #5
BomberVette

So the build begins!!!! I took a week off work and had high hopes of getting the truck running and driving as a single wheel 4wd. I have a plan and help after my uncle gets off work in the evenings with my baby brother coming to help Saturday. I talked with both guys and we all thought we could do this in one week.
The first three pics are of the parts truck getting taken apart. Only a day for everything to come apart. Then the fun part of taking my crew apart that ran and drove great. But it needed done.
Attached Images

Old 07-27-2017, 03:02 PM   #6
BomberVette

So that everyone knows life has been crazy and haven't had time to finish the post of the still ongoing build. It was converted to 4wd in a week but still have some small stuff to complete but have been living with them. Help from my uncle in the evenings and my brother on the weekend.
I would recommend people take a longer time to do the swap but the faster you can get done the more time you will having fun.
After removing the 2wd stuff the 4wd stuff started and I was like you are a dang idiot for doing this but in a couple of hours It was total worth it.
Got the front axle under it and was like oh heck yeah but had to find a different set of tires and wheels for it. Put the BBC and trans with the tcase together.
Started to look at what I need to do for a engine crossmember and came up with using the 2wd motor mounts and cutting the engine crossmember out of the 2wd front suspension. After the plasma cutter and some grinding the crossmember was in and gave me lots of room for the trans and tcase. Side note I didn't have to go to the big trans tunnel so far. After lining the mounts back up it was good to go. Used the 4wd trans crossmember with little mods to it.
Put the front clip back on and wired it all back up with all fluids changed with new to me headers.
Was down to the final small stuff up front and had to swap the rear axle out. After some thought we used the one ton rear leafs and changed the mounts on the axle along with changing the shock mounts to. Worked great and I cut the drive shaft and did it myself without any vibration.
My thoughts were build the truck you want and drive it everyday.
Old 07-27-2017, 03:24 PM   #7
daddyjeep

Glad everything worked out. It is pretty cool pulling off a project like this. It really makes you feel accomplished.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=786514
daddyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote