The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-19-2017, 01:13 AM   #1
wahl4m

shop infra-red heaters ??

i got a pole bldg that is not insulated much {YET}-been thinking of buying a "val6 " brand of heater ! a friend of mine has one -no smell-loud noise & seems to use less fuel than a torpedo style of heater ! anybody have any experience with one of these ?i have ckd some of there models -seems like the one i might buy would be the "mpx"priced around $ 1595.00 -alot of money BUT ? anybody have any experience with these type of heaters> thanks
wahl4m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 11:38 AM   #2
wahl4m

Re: shop infra-red heaters ??

could not find a used -infra red heater ! soo i bought a new one ! it sure throws out the heat ,makes my leaky-no insulation shop warm ! here is a pic of it !have a happy holiday mike
Attached Images

Old 12-24-2017, 12:49 PM   #3
flashed

I use a chicken house furnace with Propane ,about 15 minutes and I turn it off as it heats up quickly and very efficient .Have never used one like youre asking about so I have no info.
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 10:47 PM   #4
Advanced Design

I've never seen one. What does it use for a fuel source Mike?

My shop has a radiant tube heater, propane fueled, and puts out great heat.
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 11:23 PM   #5
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

I've used an infrared for several year . it very similar to this one , Link,

It warms 2000 sq ft by 25 high shop up to about 65 70 from mid 30's in about 1.5 hours, I hung a 24" fan from the ceiling to blow the hot air down. uses about $6 in propane in 8 hours.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 12:55 AM   #6
wahl4m

hi doug ! it uses kerosene /diesel fuel -i tried the red dye stuff today -about 30-50 cents a gallon cheaper -i believe -pump wouldnt show me a price per gallon -farm non taxed stuff ?? worked good ! the heater face on it is big & really spreads the heat area way out !these heaters are made in japan & seem tobe high quality ! tried to find a used one -nothing was close to me ,alot of owners of them are const. or farmers ! alot of rental places have them on rental & guys never bring them back -they just end up buying them ! are -you setting down / there around $2500 ! but im happy once my butt got cold in the shop & the salamander 115,000 btu -would not keep my feet from freezing-plus the headache of the amount of fuel they use & the smell & replacing parts -all the time !first christmas present i ever bought for myself ! plus i got lots of projects to do ! this building has almost no insulation -but i have my pullmax,shear roller & metal break & 4 post hoist in there -my small shop has a house furnace with the bridgeport,big lathe & all the welders but only has small walk paths in it ! any way take care -tell randy f. hi! i just got off the phone with gully -hes doing ok ! anyway see ya & have a good christmas & new year !!