The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board > 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-10-2008, 11:48 PM   #126
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: Junkyard Jimmy Super Low Buck Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Roof View Post
Two steps forward one step back. Been there. It's better than work though.
That's it right there. The engine that was in it was incomplete and from a different year. I'm not even sure what the throttle cable came out of, cause it's about 3 feet long. The carb I got for free from another member, but it's from a 75 I think. I should have pulled the kickdown, throttle, bracket bolt from the water neck and crank pulley from the truck I was working on today. That would have solved a lot right there. Oh well, there are other junkyards closer to me that I can get all of this from. Maybe this weekend.

I also might have mufflers for free, I need to ask yet.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 11:11 PM   #127
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Not a lot to report, but I did spend a little time on it. Got a good kickdown cable, but I'm having trouble getting the bolt out holding the old one in. I'll probably have to remove the tranny cooler lines to get a better fit for the socket, and maybe use a 6 point instead of the 12.

I have the throttle cable installed from the other tub, but need to get the little ball mount for the carb on. I got the ball connector from a parts store in a set from holley.

I needed to find something for my son to help with, so I had him start pulling out the old carpet. Not an easy job and I needed to help him out, but it revealed the rust damage to the floor. Don't ask for pics, my wife has the camera on a trip right now. I'll post some when she gets back. Basically, the drivers side floor is mostly rust, passenger side has some too, but not nearly as bad. That's good I guess.

Got one of the power steering lines hooked up too. The low pressure one I'll buy new line for, cause I gotta get some fuel line anyway.

My boss was supposed to be visiting me the next couple days (I have a home office), but because of the flooding in SW Wisconsin, he turned around and went back home. He said something like "the detours had detours and some of those were blocked". So I'll put some time into it monday and maybe get a few hours closer to running it.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:30 PM   #128
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Lots of progress today. I'm so close now I can almost smell the exhaust fumes. What once was garbage, is soon to be used again.

Alternator, installed $1 (stupid bolt for bracket)
Power steering, done
Throttle, done $3
Distributor, done except for power wire.
Got new cap and rotor, plugs and wires installed. ($37)
Fan, done.
Radiator support, installed.
Battery tray, installed.
Battery, bought used and tested good ($27).
Misc hoses, connectors, etc. ($26)

Spent $94, total now up to $250.

My to do list is down to swapping gas tanks, hooking up battery cable to starter, figuring out the under hood wiring mess, hook up tranny lines and vacuum lines and a few other odds and ends. I'm shooting for Wednesday, wish me luck. The wiring mess may be the biggest obstacle.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:41 PM   #129
Jtrux
I'm a poor spectator

Sounds like things are really coming along, nice to see some progress being made.

1993 Chevy 2500 4x4 ExCab LWB 454/NV4500 Tow rig

1977 Ford F100 2x4 LWB 1st truck I owned, still have it!!!

1979 Ford F150 4x4 SWB Built Ford Tough!!!

1971 Chevy Blazer 350 / SM465 / NP205 UNDER CONSTRUCTION Soon to have a LQ4 6.0!!!
Jtrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 01:00 AM   #130
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgs_notes View Post
The wiring mess may be the biggest obstacle.
I was wrong about that. I still have a bit of a mess on wiring, under the dash, and a few under the hood. But for the most part, I think I've got the wiring OK. The problem is swapping the gas tank.

This has a steel aftermarket tank installed. It has 4 bolts that run through the tank and into the bed floor. There are special nuts to remove inside the bed. One was already off, one was broken. The other two are rusted on. You're supposed to use a 3/8" drive to turn them, but that ain't working cause they are rounded out. I'm not even sure I could get to them underneath for cutting. There just isn't much room to work.

So here's my dilema. Do I keep trying to get the tank out and swap it, or do I just take my chances and use it. This has sat for several years and is a mild steel tank. It did have a gas cap on. Can't really inspect it though unless I drill a hole in it and then I'd have to seal the hole again.

Other than that, I think I just need to hook up some vacuum lines and pour some gas in and see if it will fire up. This weekend, one way or another, it will run again.
Old 06-21-2008, 05:09 PM   #131
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

The wife and daughters are back home now, so I have a camera again. The big downer though is that my oldest daughter had surgery to replace her ACL in her left knee. Kind of puts a crimp in our spare time, but I did get a couple hours in on the Jimmy. I managed to figure out a way to get the gas tank out. I used a 3/4" drill bit and drilled out the retainers inside the bed area. Not as easy as it sounds. The Jimmy is parked behind a guys barn and electricity is a ways away. I got my longest cords and ran power out there for my drill. I couldn't use my cordless drill because it will only go to 3/8" bits.

Heres the tank:

Heres the rust holes:

I just bought some new tubing for the fill line and some vents, etc. $22.

Here's the engine compartment, mostly refurbished wiring harness installed. I think the only thing left under the hood is to put in the vacuum lines.

Now under the dash is another story. I'm hesitant to hook up the battery until I isolate the hot wires under here:

Hows this for electrical genius, a hidden switch for the starter, it was under the dash by the glove box. State of the art security:

And then there is the lighted ash tray:
Old 06-21-2008, 05:15 PM   #132
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

I kept the under dash wiring harness from the green truck and will eventually install that. Maybe sooner if I don't want to be hot wiring it during the start up. Here are a few more pics of how it is right now.

The rusty floor, driver side:

Hoses $22, used gas tank from t korenek $50.
Total spent is now up to $322. I need to sell some stuff and get that total down. That's just too much.
Old 06-21-2008, 08:52 PM   #133
Chevyman63
Can't wait to retire!!

Keep up the good work, this one is a lot of fun to watch.

2009 4x4 Chevy Crew Cab 6.0
1989 4x4 Siverado (270,000 miles)
1972 4x4 Blazer
2007 Chevy Cutaway 1 ton
1970 Corvette (sons project)

RIP
- CLR 10/11/09
Chevyman63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 11:14 PM   #134
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Thanks Chevyman63.

I was able to get a little more time this evening to work. I got the gas tank installed, minus some vent lines. The steel lines for the vents were all shot, so I just put the tubing on the tank vents for now and will route some new lines later. I also got vacuum lines run for the tranny, brakes and distributor. I think sunday I'll put some gas in her and see if she'll turn over without welding wires all over the place and frying all the fuses. I want to at least try to get the exhaust pipes hooked to the manifolds too, but we'll see.

I think my son wants to go on a road trip as soon as he hears it run. I'm hoping I can just drive it forward and backward once, then maybe back to my house where I can blast it with a pressure washer.
Old 06-22-2008, 06:22 PM   #135
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Electrical problems. Still working on it, but didn't have much time today. I started swapping the under dash harness. That was going ok, but I noticed a loose wire on the ignition switch plug. Anyway, I put some gas in the tank, no leaks yet. I plugged the unused vacuum ports. I got the battery hooked up, no fires. I tried the key, nothing happened. I didn't have anymore time to investigate. The battery should be charged, but I'll check that. It could be the wiring for the switch, or I might have the wires reverse on the starter. I'll get it checked out over the next few days and get it running.

I'm a little deflated that it wouldn't turn over, but I'll get it figured out.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:15 PM   #136
49m

youall get it

1969 Mustang gt coupe
1971 Chevy Cheyenne
1986 Iroc camaro
1986 K10 Short Bed
1987 Iroc Camaro
1990 rs Camaro
1992 350 ss truck
1998 Honda Civic
2005 Ram 2500 Cummins

My Build Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=279831
49m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 01:43 PM   #137
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Good news and bad news.

First the good. I got the starter turning over the engine. Got the wiring pretty much figured out. I also got ignition. It's sparking and firing.

Bad news, can't get gas from the tank to the carb.

What I've figured out. I had 3 wiring issues. First the two wires to the starter were reversed. Second was that I hadn't plugged in the neutral safety switch, third was a loose wire to the ignition switch. Those things got the engine turning under electrical power.

At first there was no spark. I tried checking connections, etc. Nothing. So I pulled the coil and had it tested, and it was ok. So I bought a new ignition module for the HEI $30, for a total of $352. That got it sparking ok. It would fire, seemed to be evenly, with me squirting gas into the carb. After running the battery down, then using jumper cables I checked the hose to the fuel pump and it's still dry. I'm going to have to syphon gas through the line to make sure it's open. Then I'll pour some gas down the line from the carb and see if that will prime the pump and get some flow going. If I can get gas to the pump and it still doesn't work, I'll have to try another pump.

I'm confident now that it'll run once it gets a steady flow of gas. I'll try some more this weekend. I already have a short list of things to work on.

Hook up exhaust pipes
Change tranny dipstick tube
Put in new kickdown cable
Tie back the wiring after finishing the hook ups

And the big one, TEST DRIVE!
Old 06-29-2008, 09:00 AM   #138
Big J
Its lookin' like a Blazer!

Quote:
And the big one, TEST DRIVE!
So close I bet it killin' ya. Nice progress.

My Build
Big J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 05:14 PM   #139
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big J View Post
So close I bet it killin' ya. Nice progress.
You have no idea...

Another day of good news/bad news.

First the good, I got it started. It sounded excellent.

The bad, no oil pressure.

I took an air tank out there this morning to try and push some air into the gas tank to see if the gas would make it to the front, that didn't work so well. But I still wanted to see if the fuel pump was ok, so I just ran a gas line from the pump into my gas can, undid the line at the carb and turned it over. Nothing, nada, zip, dry, etc. So I went and bought a fuel pump. Got it in, tested like the last time and it works. So I start it up off the gas can. Timing was way off, but I eventually turned the distributor enough to make it go. Now it starts right up and sounds smooth. But no oil pressure.

I've pulled the dizzy and got my priming tool on it, nothing. I'm going to have to change the pump and hope that my start up didn't wipe all the bearings. I'll pull a cap or 2 and check it out, but this will wait til next weekend I think. I had no reason to doubt the pump before. It turned smoothly and easily, looked ok. When I had my drill on it, there was something not right though. Something might have broke when I was putting in the shaft, retainer and dizzy. Who knows? Anyway, it's fixable. I'm disappointed, but it's not like I need to drive it to work tomorrow either.

Spent another $20 for a pump and fuel filter. Total now up to $372. Modelo Negra is my newest beer of choice.
Old 06-29-2008, 05:32 PM   #140
vtblazer

I'd do a quick test of the oil pressure gauge if it were me.

If the motor sounded good without the lifters rattling like crazy, you have oil pressure.
vtblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 07:21 PM   #141
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtblazer View Post
I'd do a quick test of the oil pressure gauge if it were me.

If the motor sounded good without the lifters rattling like crazy, you have oil pressure.
Thanks, but I kind thought about that. I didn't hear ticking from the lifters. I pulled the gage line, no oil flow, but that can be kinked, plugged, whatever. So I pulled the oil filter, dry. I also pulled a valve cover before shutting it off for good, no flow to the valve train at all. This is all before I pulled the dizzy to make sure the drive on it was good. It was, and I had checked it before I installed it.

If anyone has any idea why there would be aboluetly no flow from the pump, other than a damaged pump, please post. I can get a pump at advance auto (melling pump) for like $16. I just don't look forward to unbolting the mounts and jacking it up enough to slide the pan out. I've done it before and it's kind of a pain.
Old 06-29-2008, 07:23 PM   #142
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Oh yeah, another downer was the radiator started leaking. This is one I'd had in my C-10 for years, no problems. I ran it a couple months ago. When I went out this morning, I could see the leak.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:11 AM   #143
vtblazer

Quote:
Thanks, but I kind thought about that. I didn't hear ticking from the lifters. I pulled the gage line, no oil flow, but that can be kinked, plugged, whatever. So I pulled the oil filter, dry. I also pulled a valve cover before shutting it off for good, no flow to the valve train at all. This is all before I pulled the dizzy to make sure the drive on it was good. It was, and I had checked it before I installed it.

If anyone has any idea why there would be aboluetly no flow from the pump, other than a damaged pump, please post. I can get a pump at advance auto (melling pump) for like $16. I just don't look forward to unbolting the mounts and jacking it up enough to slide the pan out. I've done it before and it's kind of a pain.
Bummer...

By filling the oil filter with fresh oil 'before' you install it, it allows for quicker oil pressure during the initial start up.
An old tip my pops taught me.
vtblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 12:08 PM   #144
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

Sure doesn't sound like good news. Can take a while to get oil flowing up to the rocker's using the oil priming tool but the should flow pretty quick with the motor running. Plus the oil priming tool should show oil pressure pretty soon unless there is a problem. Sure sounds like the oil pump shaft isn't connecting to the oil pump for some reason.

Good luck figuring out the problem!
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 07:16 PM   #145
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

First off, Happy Independence Day everyone. It's been beautiful weather here lately and I've enjoyed being able to work outside without hot, humid sweltering days.

Now for a Jimmy update. I'm very conflicted right now with how I feel. On one hand, I got it running, and actually drove it today around the farm where I'm working on it. It has forward and reverse, but still needs some fluids added to get the power steering working and the tranny shifting better. I added what I had, just need to get some more.

On the other hand, I just can't get any oil pressure. Here's the situation: I got the oil pan off (had to slide the cross member forward), pulled the pump and checked it all out. There is nothing wrong with it. Now I no there was no flow before because after it had been running I pulled the oil filter and it was dry. I used my priming tool after that and could not get flow up to the heads, but apparently it flowed to the filter, because when I checked it today, it was full. I double checked everything. Front main bearing was ok, so it had to be getting some flow.

Here's my theory: Something clogged the port from the pump to the filter, but there is a separate port to the crank bearings. This is why it didn't wipe everything and the lifters were not clacking away. The bearing clearances are probably too loose and therefore, there just isn't much pressure. I let it idle and warm up with a valve cover off and never noticed any oil squirting from the push rods. When I reved it up though, oil was spattering the firewall and heater box, etc. so it has to be getting some oil.

The conclusion is that it runs fine, realistically needs a rebuild, but it's not now, nor ever will be, a daily driver with this engine. So skrew it, run it till it dies. If it starts clattering or hammering away, it'll be time to shut her down and swap another engine. Lessons learned. I could have rebuilt my other engine. I would have spent more, but would have had a better engine. But it's not a total loss, because it does run, it's a 4 bolt main block, it's a good useable core. I learned how to rebuild a rochester quadrojet, had to figure out problems with just about every major system, and I am satisfied, if not thrilled with the results. It's experience you just can't get any other way.

So for now, I'll finish getting the cross member bolted back in, fix the tranny kickdown and dip stick, hook up the exhaust, add some fluids and drive it around some. I'll bring it home so I can blast it with my pressure washer. I still need to try 4wd yet. The brakes seem to be working fine, so that's good. The rear springs are really squatting down, I don't like that. I'll eventually have to do something about the rusted floor, don't really care about the rest. I might get a posi for the rear. I bought one with gears for my C-10, then the junkyard called the other day that they got another axle out for me with a posi.

So guys, I know a few of you have been following this. What do you think? Was it worth it? After the short list of maintenance items above is done, what would you do next?
Old 07-04-2008, 08:06 PM   #146
Jtrux
I'm a poor spectator

Quote:
So guys, I know a few of you have been following this. What do you think? Was it worth it? After the short list of maintenance items above is done, what would you do next?
I would completely finish up everything motor related. Exhaust, tuning, whatever. Then electrical...lights, wipers, all that good stuff.

1993 Chevy 2500 4x4 ExCab LWB 454/NV4500 Tow rig

1977 Ford F100 2x4 LWB 1st truck I owned, still have it!!!

1979 Ford F150 4x4 SWB Built Ford Tough!!!

1971 Chevy Blazer 350 / SM465 / NP205 UNDER CONSTRUCTION Soon to have a LQ4 6.0!!!
Jtrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 11:01 PM   #147
badpeanut
Not a bad nut after all..

Quote:
I'd get it home and drive it now. You'll find more small items that need fixing or just aren't to your liking and they'll be easier to fix at home. It is always satisfying to drive something you've built (and impressive with how little cash you have in it).
'71 Blazer 4x4 driver
'70 GMC LWB trailer
badpeanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 03:42 AM   #148
70rs/ss

Sounds like there could be gunk in the pushrods and or motor. If you started it and it had no oil, it'd locked up or spun a rod bearing. Get a cheapy oil pressure guage, and install it on a known good port (not plugged). If you have pressure the motor will last. I have seen some gunked up motors over the years, and sometimes the pushrods are solid and therefore no oil to the rockers. Always fill the filter with oil, it'll speed the flow of oil. Now, if the motor was gunked, that gunk could be anywhere, and everywhere, try seafoam in the oil, it'll break down all the crap and flush it out with an oil change. Once the oil think is square, drive it!! BTW I always see single walled tops, on other peoples rides, but can't find one for mine!!! Drive it to AZ, I'll buy it from you and you'll have 0$ invested!! BTW I watched this entire thread ply out, but didn't post much, I am glad you did it through to the end, just to show it can be done and you don't need a second mortgage!! It isn't a show piece, but honestly who wants one of those, not me!! Drive it, let your son drive it (sitting in your lap if he is young!), but you don't have to worry about stupid stuff like scratches, dents, dings, rain, bugs, other drivers, etc, etc you can enjoy it and have the sense that you "DID IT ALL" as compared to the checkbook crowd of "builders" and I use builder loosely when I refer to them!! I think it's sweet and for the $$$ you spent, well let's just say a lot of guys here are going to be green with envy, when they hear $300ish !!!!
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 08:34 AM   #149
Chevyman63
Can't wait to retire!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70rs/ss View Post
Sounds like there could be gunk in the pushrods and or motor. If you started it and it had no oil, it'd locked up or spun a rod bearing. Get a cheapy oil pressure guage, and install it on a known good port (not plugged). If you have pressure the motor will last. I have seen some gunked up motors over the years, and sometimes the pushrods are solid and therefore no oil to the rockers. Always fill the filter with oil, it'll speed the flow of oil. Now, if the motor was gunked, that gunk could be anywhere, and everywhere, try seafoam in the oil, it'll break down all the crap and flush it out with an oil change. Once the oil think is square, drive it!! BTW I always see single walled tops, on other peoples rides, but can't find one for mine!!! Drive it to AZ, I'll buy it from you and you'll have 0$ invested!! BTW I watched this entire thread ply out, but didn't post much, I am glad you did it through to the end, just to show it can be done and you don't need a second mortgage!! It isn't a show piece, but honestly who wants one of those, not me!! Drive it, let your son drive it (sitting in your lap if he is young!), but you don't have to worry about stupid stuff like scratches, dents, dings, rain, bugs, other drivers, etc, etc you can enjoy it and have the sense that you "DID IT ALL" as compared to the checkbook crowd of "builders" and I use builder loosely when I refer to them!! I think it's sweet and for the $$$ you spent, well let's just say a lot of guys here are going to be green with envy, when they hear $300ish !!!!
I couldn't agree more.

Finish up the few things that need to be done and enjoy.

2009 4x4 Chevy Crew Cab 6.0
1989 4x4 Siverado (270,000 miles)
1972 4x4 Blazer
2007 Chevy Cutaway 1 ton
1970 Corvette (sons project)

RIP
- CLR 10/11/09
Chevyman63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 10:31 AM   #150
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtrux View Post
I would completely finish up everything motor related. Exhaust, tuning, whatever. Then electrical...lights, wipers, all that good stuff.
I think you're right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badpeanut View Post
I'd get it home and drive it now. You'll find more small items that need fixing or just aren't to your liking and they'll be easier to fix at home. It is always satisfying to drive something you've built (and impressive with how little cash you have in it).
I'll be bringing it home on it's own power now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70rs/ss View Post
Sounds like there could be gunk in the pushrods and or motor. Now, if the motor was gunked, that gunk could be anywhere, and everywhere, try seafoam in the oil, it'll break down all the crap and flush it out with an oil change. Once the oil think is square, drive it!!
BTW I watched this entire thread ply out, but didn't post much, I am glad you did it through to the end, just to show it can be done and you don't need a second mortgage!! It isn't a show piece, but honestly who wants one of those, not me!! Drive it, let your son drive it (sitting in your lap if he is young!), but you don't have to worry about stupid stuff like scratches, dents, dings, rain, bugs, other drivers, etc, etc you can enjoy it and have the sense that you "DID IT ALL" as compared to the checkbook crowd of "builders" and I use builder loosely when I refer to them!! I think it's sweet and for the $$$ you spent, well let's just say a lot of guys here are going to be green with envy, when they hear $300ish !!!!
I was thinking the same thing. I did put some oil treatment in. My plan was to use some sea foam in it during my next drive and then change the oil again. It was black from just a few minutes of running. I might be able to make this engine ok yet.

And thanks for the kind words on my project idea. My son might drive it yet this weekend. He's 12 now and loves cars.

Last edited by hgs_notes; 07-05-2008 at 10:32 AM.