The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-12-2017, 11:35 AM   #1
Gunner41

97 454 Valve springs

Ok guys I have been checking this out and I'm more confused now. Tried finding answers before I bug y'all.
My 97 3500 CC/Dually w/454 (don't like calling it a 7.4- It aint a soda) but I found out that I have one stinking valve spring #6 cyl that seems like it shrunk. I have no knowledge about springs and upper engines eludes me but I have to replace it and I HATE having other people touch my truck/cars.
I want to go OEM but again hate stealership's and everywhere I find springs they rattle off numbers like load/stretch then go to cam #'s....Aghh
1. Length without install
2. Can I replace just one so I can get it on the road then later go for all 16?
3. Can I get by with not having to replace the rocker's?

Being that I'm extremely low on funds and I just want to drive my truck is making me take bad habits. You know replace one tire not 2 or 6 stuff like that.
Thanks.
Gunner41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 08:43 AM   #2
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

Re: 97 454 Valve springs

The issue your running in to is the aftermarket doesn't have any idea what was STOCK on YOUR motor. A 'GOOD' shop can run the VIN and know exactly what motor was in it, and get the correct spring.

The dealership is honestly probably your best source on this and YES, you can buy just 1 spring from GM. If you know the spring rate, ID OD and installed height,,, then you can find a aftermarket spring that will work.

OR an option,,,, if it's that white dually in your avitar,, you COULD just sell me the truck and end your valve spring misery (LOL) been looking for a nice 97-99 1ton crew,, and yours is even my favorite color <grins>

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 03:08 PM   #3
Gunner41

Re: 97 454 Valve springs

Thanks for the info. No you aint getting my truck amigo.Lol
Gunner41 is offline   Reply With Quote