The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-21-2023, 01:53 PM   #1
Alloyvert

Vent Window Division Bar Question/Help

Starting the next phase of updates to my '64 C10 with some way overdue weatherstrip upgrades and found something odd with the drivers division bar. Unlike the passenger's side that just has the deteriorating felt in the stock frame, this one has what appears to be a secondary/rigid metal insert with a corrugated surface that I assume was part of maybe an earlier replacement??

I am trying to figure out my plan before tearing things apart as I want to hold off going through the vent window itself until winter. I know it has to come out anyways to swap the fuzzy insert, but trying to gauge what I might find before getting started.

Drivers side is the first photo.

Thanks!
Attached Images

Last edited by Alloyvert; 06-21-2023 at 03:31 PM.
Alloyvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 10:14 PM   #2
cwcarpenter98

Re: Vent Window Division Bar Question/Help

My guess is the previous owner already removed the metal insert from the weatherstripping on the passenger side. Your new weatherstripping for the division bar and the piece that goes around the top and rear of the door windows will have that wavy metal piece built in already.

You can remove the old metal insert from the driver's side without worry

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 08:42 AM   #3
Alloyvert

Make sense. Does that wavy metal insert attach via the rivets or is it just press fit? Either way I assume the vent window needs to come out to get it removed, correct?

I originally planned to install the complete division bars with the metal channel and should have ordered them with the rest of the parts late last year as it appears it is no longer available for 64-66. You can only get the soft insert now.
Old 06-22-2023, 10:00 PM   #4
Alloyvert

As usual, I was over thinking this rather simple replacement. After dinner I pulled the vent window and the wavy metal insert just needed a little prying to pop right out. I had to do some scraping on the remnants of the original felt liner and the new insert went right in. I also went ahead and removed the outer weather strip and the 2 anti rattle seals. Everything went back together smoothly and I learned a bit about the order that will make the passenger door go much quicker.

After reading many horror stories about the beaded window seal fitment, I went with the Repops and they fit perfect. All I had to do was shave the fuzzy material down on the curved end where the outer seal over laps. So nice have all the rattling fixed and the window moving very smoothly. Next up is installing a NOS door latch and striker plate as both are very worn on the drivers door.

The beaded seals were definitely a bit worn😀
Attached Images

Last edited by Alloyvert; 06-22-2023 at 10:07 PM.
Old 06-22-2023, 11:29 PM   #5
cwcarpenter98

Glad you got it figured out. Fixing the rattling windows was one of the better things I've done to my truck

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote