The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-29-2020, 03:14 PM   #1
dsraven

Re: 58 Apache with C4 Flatout Engineering

these guys have a web site that shows how they do their frames. nice stuff, I have seen their shop. lots of thought went into their frame. some stuff is hidden inside the frame, brake lines etc. just hope there is never any service required or they would need to be clamped on the the outside of the frame as a repair.

https://www.canadianhotrodsinc.com/frames-chassis/
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 03:17 PM   #2
dsraven

pic 5 shows how they did their rear corvette suspension mounts, if interested.

https://www.canadianhotrodsinc.com/p...chevrolet-gmc/
Old 04-29-2020, 03:15 PM   #3
dsraven

I like the stiffener that runs down the middle. just an idea for you.

https://www.canadianhotrodsinc.com/p...chevrolet-gmc/
Old 04-29-2020, 09:36 PM   #4
lexteak

Thanks guys tons of info and ideas for me to sort thru. As far as narrowing, I think when I mocked up I had plenty of room for my tire size. I want something big diameter, maybe 29-30 inch diameter, but I plan on driving this all the time so probably not to wide that it wont fit. I really like the design I saw on the No Limit engineering site. They have a c10 frame that looks great. I plan on basing my design on that. I ran into the first issue today. The Flat Out Engineering cross member is based on the stock 2 1/4 frame rails and the boxing plates. Im about 1/2 narrower because i used 2x6 tube. Trying to decide if I shim that out and stay stock or narrow the whole frame 1/2. Have to decide what that does to the rear. I will already be remaking a set of brackets because the new frame is slightly different shape. Here is the stock frame contour on the front in cardboard layed over the 2x6 . I think I have to notch it to create appropriate clearance for control arm travel. Probably combine that notch and the tie rod notch together. Wore my tape measure out again today.
Attached Images

lexteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 09:47 PM   #5
lexteak

That center frame stiffener is almost exactly the same as the no limit engineering frame. That will be close to my final design. Ive seen a few come off the side rail and return back and also some that end in a perpendicular connection with the rear cross member. Still undecided at this point. Mine will be very similar either way.
Old 04-29-2020, 09:53 PM   #6
lexteak

That stance on the truck in the picture is close to what I want. The Flat Out left the rear to high for me. That is when I originally decided to remake the rear section to get it lower. Looks like they solved that issue by mounting it higher in the frame. Essentially that is the same thought process I have on the higher rear section. Great info thanks for the links
Old 04-29-2020, 10:14 PM   #7
Jason 56

Complete frame is a good idea. I did the same on my 56 with a helix IFS kit. I just tapered the front. I have a lot more pictures than what are on my build if you’re interested... just let me know. Big thing is not to weld on the sides of the frame( just top n bottom) until the cross members are in place. The cross members will prevent the heat from pulling it out of square! Wish I knew that when I started!
Old 04-29-2020, 11:25 PM   #8
lexteak

Thanks Jason great info on the welding, I will definitely try and remember that going forward. Scanned your build looks great I will look it over in detail next few days, If I have questions I'll give you a shout. I took a look and it seems the front frame is for the most part ok being a 2x6 all the way to the front, except for the core support mount. I plan on leaving it that way and dealing with any problems later down the road. If i have to notch the support or make a
smaller frame section at the front I'll deal with that once I start fitting the fenders. Appreciate the help, please shout at me if you see me doing anything stupid. My first build and I'm blundering my way forward.