The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-25-2023, 12:58 PM   #1
lkt1954

Brake Clevis

Installing the power brake booster on my 70 C10 and I'm not sure which clevis to connect to the pedal I need.
Purchased the U shaped clevis and when threaded on the push rod it is too short to connect to the pedal. The distance from the push rod to the pedal is 2".
Do I need a longer push rod or a different clevis? The power brake booster came from POL.

Thanks
Attached Images

lkt1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2023, 04:17 PM   #2
RustyPile

Re: Brake Clevis

I wouldn't trust that stamped steel clevis for any brake application.. Use the sturdy one already on your truck and purchase a rod of correct length.
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2023, 12:51 AM   #3
lkt1954

There wasn't one on the truck when I bought it, no I'm trying to figure out what I need.
Thanks
Old 12-26-2023, 01:28 AM   #4
RustyPile

Many suppliers offer power brake booster/master cylinder "kits", an "all in one" kit that has all the parts needed to install power brakes.. I assume you're installing a brake booster where previously there was none.. Classic Industries offers this universal rod kit. I suspect it's not all you need as there is some additional linkage associated with making a conversion from non-power brakes..

https://www.classicindustries.com/pr...ts/154235.html

About 3 years ago, I converted the non-power brakes on my '71 to vacuum booster assisted power brakes. I used this unit from Summit Racing.. The kit included everything I needed to make the conversion..

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-760197
Old 12-26-2023, 11:12 AM   #5
lkt1954

That's a thought.
In doing more research, it seems this is the clevis to the pedal.
My question will it be long enough to connect the rod to the pedal. Needs to be at least 2-2.5" long or do I need a different rod?
Attached Images

Old 12-26-2023, 04:24 PM   #6
RustyPile

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkt1954 View Post
That's a thought.
In doing more research, it seems this is the clevis to the pedal.
My question will it be long enough to connect the rod to the pedal. Needs to be at least 2-2.5" long or do I need a different rod?
That's not a clevis.. The first picture you posted is a clevis, although it's a poor quality unit..

The questions you're posting can only be answered by yourself.. Whoever you choose to provide the proper rod can give you the measurements you're asking about..

You're dealing with a very important safety system.. Don't try to use a hodge-podge of parts from various suppliers.. $175.00 for a well designed power brake unit is a very reasonable price.. Contact Summit, order the unit, install it and move on the next problem.
Old 12-27-2023, 12:26 AM   #7
lkt1954

It's a brand new complete system from Performance Online, just to the point of getting it installed and trying to figure out the correct way to connect push rod to the pedal.
Old 12-27-2023, 08:21 PM   #8
RustyPile

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkt1954 View Post
It's a brand new complete system from Performance Online, just to the point of getting it installed and trying to figure out the correct way to connect push rod to the pedal.
The one in my link has a proper clevis, plus detailed installation instructions. How about posting a picture or link so we all can know just what you're working with..