The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-24-2017, 01:36 PM   #226
SCOTI

Re: 1970 Med Olive Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMcMasters View Post
I started plumbing my fuel system this week. I built everything out using standard braided line to get my measurements. Then I ordered all of my lines from Brown&Miller Racing. These are by far the best lines in the business in my opinion. They are a high temp fiber braided line, PTFE lined to resist any fuel or additive, crimped on fittings and are rated to 200psi.

I mocked up my filter/regulator in several positions but I wanted to have it in the most accessible location for future maintenance. By mounting here I will be able to change it out fairly easy and it will keep my feed and return lines short. My stainless line clamps didn't show up today so unfortunately this is as far as I got and I wasn't able to run the main line from the filter to the fuel rail.

I'm curious so I'll ask.... Is there a reason why you didn't run hard line for the bulk of the line & just the braided for the flex needed @ the ends?

What's the service life expectancy?
Would you share the costs?

I ask because I sure want to do my 64 w/all flex line but many discouraged it. I felt if I set it up right, I could simply add it to a maintenance schedule for replacement @ certain intervals. Routing the hard line through all the boxing/bracing w/the PB components up front is a PITA (I did plumb it with 3/8" hard line already but I guess I should have put it in place before bolting all the front suspension pieces & brake lines into place). Really, really, would prefer to not have to disassemble all that & I might want to upgrade line size @ some point when the truck gets a new heartbeat.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 02:25 PM   #227
MMcMasters

Scoti,

If we were talking about standard braided line, I would agree that you would need to service (replace) the line every few years because they will not hold up to pump gas and all of it's additives, especially in areas that use ethynol. I have always ran Pro-Lite 350 on all of my race cars and have gotten years of trouble free service running race gas. The cars we ran methanol in though, we would start seeing the lines start to soften after a couple of seasons. I will never run the pro-lite on anything that will see today's pump gas though.

The BMRS lines use a PTFE liner that is impervious to all fuels and additives and will most likely outlast the car that your are puting them on as long as you keep them away from heat and keep any moving parts from rubbing. They are lighter and more flexible then the Pro-Lite 350 as well.

Here is a link to what I am using. High Temp Polymer Braid. They have crimped fittings and BMRS pressure tests them to 250PSI. http://www.bmrs.net/PTFE_hose_01.html

I will confirm when I get home but I'm pretty sure I have right at $275-$300 in all three lines and fittings for the cell. Yes it's a little pricey but like I said, they should outlast my truck. Anything I can use that gives me piece of mind and has little to no chance of failure, I will willingly spend a little extra $$ on. I will add that if you order these, ask for the swivel fittings so it's easier to clock your fittings at the pump, fuel rail etc..

70 Med Olive build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=714804

Instagram- protouring66
MMcMasters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 03:33 PM   #228
SCOTI

Quote:
Scoti,

If we were talking about standard braided line, I would agree that you would need to service (replace) the line every few years because they will not hold up to pump gas and all of it's additives, especially in areas that use ethynol. I have always ran Pro-Lite 350 on all of my race cars and have gotten years of trouble free service running race gas. The cars we ran methanol in though, we would start seeing the lines start to soften after a couple of seasons. I will never run the pro-lite on anything that will see today's pump gas though.

The BMRS lines use a PTFE liner that is impervious to all fuels and additives and will most likely outlast the car that your are puting them on as long as you keep them away from heat and keep any moving parts from rubbing. They are lighter and more flexible then the Pro-Lite 350 as well.

Here is a link to what I am using. High Temp Polymer Braid. They have crimped fittings and BMRS pressure tests them to 250PSI. http://www.bmrs.net/PTFE_hose_01.html

I will confirm when I get home but I'm pretty sure I have right at $275-$300 in all three lines and fittings for the cell. Yes it's a little pricey but like I said, they should outlast my truck. Anything I can use that gives me piece of mind and has little to no chance of failure, I will willingly spend a little extra $$ on. I will add that if you order these, ask for the swivel fittings so it's easier to clock your fittings at the pump, fuel rail etc..
That's not bad @ all for all 3 lines w/the appropriate fittings. And snaking a flexible line through the DM frame rail gussets would be far easier vs trying to get the 3/8" hardline in place (& def easier if I bumped up to 1/2").

I shall check into this. Thanks for the info & the link!

(I only hope they have black anodized fittings)
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 09:47 AM   #229
Lorne

Mike the fuel lines look awesome and I will be looking into them when I get there on my truck. Still waiting on that invite to come see it hahahaha����
67 Chevy C10
71 Camaro RS
73 Camaro RS (in progress)
Lorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 08:55 PM   #230
MMcMasters

Nothing I plan ever seems to work out. I didn't manage to get anything done this week. I need to drop a bunch of little stuff and the core support off at powder coat Monday so today I finished up the mods on the core support and repaired the rusty area under the battery tray.

I ground all of the plug welds, once its blasted and powder coated the repair should disappear. I'm pretty happy I was able to save the original.

Instagram- protouring66
Old 03-25-2017, 08:56 PM   #231
MMcMasters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorne View Post
Mike the fuel lines look awesome and I will be looking into them when I get there on my truck. Still waiting on that invite to come see it hahahaha����
It's a long drive for ya, but come on

Instagram- protouring66
Old 03-26-2017, 03:47 AM   #232
GR8-68

Nice work on the support, and love the fuel lines I will be looking into those also

It is easily overlooked that what is now called vintage was once brand new.

"Project 68"

paypal.me/ldgrant
GR8-68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 10:55 AM   #233
MMcMasters

I knocked a little project out this morning on the truck. After moving the fuel tank out of the cab and not wanting to paint the truck, I wanted a simple way to fix the hole left by the factory tank filler neck. I found a universal filler neck and cut it down. I figured I should probably make a block off plate just in case someone other then me was driving and wasn't "thinking" and they stop for fuel.

Instagram- protouring66
Old 03-26-2017, 05:53 PM   #234
kehstr

I'm going to do the EXACT same thing on my truck! Where did you find the fuel filler?

Check out my Youtube channel
@Chad's Fab
kehstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 05:54 PM   #235
GR8-68

You could use it to hide a spare key

"Project 68"

paypal.me/ldgrant
Old 03-26-2017, 06:26 PM   #236
Lorne

Nice job Mike.
67 Chevy C10
71 Camaro RS
Old 03-27-2017, 08:48 AM   #237
MMcMasters

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehstr View Post
I'm going to do the EXACT same thing on my truck! Where did you find the fuel filler?
I got it off of eBay

Instagram- protouring66
Old 03-27-2017, 10:08 AM   #238
Bennett68C10

Awesome job Mike, I love that fuel filler!

66 Suburban

Burb Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=751361

IG: bennett68c10
Bennett68C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 01:26 PM   #239
MMcMasters

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR8-68 View Post
You could use it to hide a spare key
I can't now, you just told everyone where to look

Quote:
Nice job Mike.
Thanks Lorne..Did you pull the trigger on that suspension yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennett68C10 View Post
Awesome job Mike, I love that fuel filler!
Thanks man..It was cheap and easy

Instagram- protouring66
Old 03-30-2017, 12:31 PM   #240
MMcMasters

I got back on the firewall last night and my boy came out with me. I made a filler panel to block off the blower motor hole and my son asked if he could do some welding. I got it positioned and tacked in and he finished welding it in and ground everything to get it ready for some body work. It's been a few months since he has had the mig gun in his hand but his welds had good fusion and looked ok. I'm super stoked he asked to come out and work with me because it hasn't happened in a while.

I also made a strip to start capping off the wire gutter. My boy started stitching it in on the drivers side. I really need to get that passenger corner finished Saturday so we can finish off the wire gutter.

If you can't tell I'm a proud daddy And I know I'm going to catch hell for letting him weld in slides (flip flops) but that's all these kids wear year round. I'm getting old

Instagram- protouring66

Last edited by MMcMasters; 03-30-2017 at 09:11 PM.
Old 03-30-2017, 12:45 PM   #241
Dustmaker65

I wish I could see your pics here at work...but I am sure there is a grin from ear to ear with your son by your side working. Glad to hear you two had a good time and got something done!
Old 03-31-2017, 06:16 AM   #242
GR8-68

Very cool to see the young man out and doing some welding for you I was going to say I do not believe that is the best attire for welding One good hot piece of slag and he will change his mind on wearing those to the shop

Sorry to give up your secret hiding spot

"Project 68"

paypal.me/ldgrant
Old 03-31-2017, 08:16 AM   #243
Bennett68C10

Hey Mike, I think your son did a pretty good job! Probably welds better than I do

66 Suburban

Burb Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=751361

IG: bennett68c10
Bennett68C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 09:07 AM   #244
Lorne

Mike,
Everything is turning out great with your truck!! I haven't pulled the trigger yet because I'm waiting to get the frame completely disassembled. I'm pulling the trigger today on those doors from AMD!
67 Chevy C10
71 Camaro RS
Old 03-31-2017, 10:08 AM   #245
MMcMasters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustmaker65 View Post
I wish I could see your pics here at work...but I am sure there is a grin from ear to ear with your son by your side working. Glad to hear you two had a good time and got something done!
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR8-68 View Post
Very cool to see the young man out and doing some welding for you I was going to say I do not believe that is the best attire for welding One good hot piece of slag and he will change his mind on wearing those to the shop

lol, I told him the same thing

Sorry to give up your secret hiding spot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennett68C10 View Post
Hey Mike, I think your son did a pretty good job! Probably welds better than I do
He's pretty good when he stays with it and practices regularly

Quote:
Mike,
Everything is turning out great with your truck!! I haven't pulled the trigger yet because I'm waiting to get the frame completely disassembled. I'm pulling the trigger today on those doors from AMD!
Please share how they fit..I still need a set for my boys truck

Instagram- protouring66
Old 03-31-2017, 10:26 AM   #246
Lorne

I will definitely let you know once they're in and worked.
67 Chevy C10
71 Camaro RS
Old 04-01-2017, 10:15 AM   #247
MMcMasters

Dave from PB notified me that my corner firewall piece shipped this week so I'm going to wait on that and put the firewall project on hold. I decided to rebuild my factory A/C controller today since it has two broken levers and I will be installing the Vintage Air in the next week or so. I had ordered a rebuild kit already and it was still in the box on a shelf. I got my old unit disassembled and began putting it back together when I discovered the new rebuild kit does not have the spring washers included that hold the outer levers to the new replacement levers. This is my fault I have had this kit in my possession for some time now and never opened it.

I'm going to try to order the spring washers today but I was hoping that with the knowledge on this board, someone else had found similar spring washers at a local Lowes, Home Depot etc.. and could lead me in the right direction. If not, I will hurry up and wait on them to arrive.

and this is where I'm stopped at...so frustrating

Instagram- protouring66
Old 04-01-2017, 10:51 AM   #248
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Dave from PB notified me that my corner firewall piece shipped this week so I'm going to wait on that and put the firewall project on hold. I decided to rebuild my factory A/C controller today since it has two broken levers and I will be installing the Vintage Air in the next week or so. I had ordered a rebuild kit already and it was still in the box on a shelf. I got my old unit disassembled and began putting it back together when I discovered the new rebuild kit does not have the spring washers included that hold the outer levers to the new replacement levers. This is my fault I have had this kit in my possession for some time now and never opened it.

I'm going to try to order the spring washers today but I was hoping that with the knowledge on this board, someone else had found similar spring washers at a local Lowes, Home Depot etc.. and could lead me in the right direction. If not, I will hurry up and wait on them to arrive.

and this is where I'm stopped at...so frustrating
Confused on the spring washer. What exactly are you talking about?
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 10:54 AM   #249
MMcMasters

I called them spring washers but the technical name is a push nut.

Instagram- protouring66
Old 04-01-2017, 10:55 AM   #250
Hart_Rod

Quote:
I called them spring washers but the technical name is a push nut.

I'm pretty sure new ones come with your Vintage Air kit.
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote