The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-03-2017, 10:36 AM   #1
beanious

Exclamation Used Axle Inspection Before Purchase

Hello all, I have a buddy that is selling a 14FF and a dana60 from a CUCV and I am looking for some guidance on what to look for.

I'm hoping to reduce the costs of rebuild and avoid the possibility of purchasing a boat anchor. Tube issues, loose, bent items, etc.

Can you guys please list what to check for on the 14 bolt and Dana 60?

I’m already up on what it takes to do the swap and rebuild the axles.

Thanks!

Bryan B.
71 K10 SWB, SBC, 700R4, 35” tires
beanious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 11:26 AM   #2
jeffahart

Re: Used Axle Inspection Before Purchase

If it's off a cucv you are probably OK if there is no water sitting the the tubes or diff. But if it came out of a cucv then into someones thrasher, I would be skeptical. So main thing, what was the usage history and why is it being sold. And water. Oh and does it have the gears you want, less of an issue but cost will start adding up.
Old 08-03-2017, 02:42 PM   #3
beanious

Jeffahart, thanks for the reply. I've been told that they were removed from a CUCV, installed and sat never used. There aren't even driveshafts on it, so it whould be good. Hopefully unless there was a good amount of rain they should be good. Do you or anyone out there know how to check for straightness of the axle, kingpin bushing issues and wheel bearing problems? Thanks!

Bryan B.
beanious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 03:18 PM   #4
jeffahart

Look at the axle tubes. If they look straight they probably are. I really doubt they are bent. Unless the cucv they came off of was in a hairy wreck they are most likely good axles. The army doesn't just let the troops thrash stuff. You are held accountable to some extent. Anyhow, you can pull the caps off the top of the kingpins dig out the grease and look at the pins. The bottom bearing last if they have grease, not so with the top bushings. Odds are they are fine and only the busing and springs would need to be replaced. You should do the bushings anyway. The pin you don't want to do unless you have to! But for inspection, usually if you yank off the diff cover and it has oil and not water then you are probably good. But you could go the extra mile and take axle stands and pull the thing apart. How does your friend feel about that. If you get a good deal I would grab it. Go check out the price of GM front D60s. If it's a good deal you may be looking a gift horse in the mouth.

But then again I have not seen the axles.

Also you know if the cucv is M1008, you will be getting 4.56 gear set and a rear Detroit locker with the axle set.