The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-13-2017, 04:45 AM   #1
King951

Unhappy 3-speed column to floor shift conversion?

Hey there,

I have owned my 1971 C20 for a little over 3 weeks now. It has been a great truck so far, but my biggest complaint has to be the transmission. Not so much the transmission itself, but the shift linkages. I've been reading forum posts, buying parts, adjusting things in every way possible, etc. I've gotten it to the point where it shifts kinda okay if you know how to work it. I still run into issues frequently with Reverse and 1st gear and occasionally getting out of 2nd or 3rd into neutral. The shifter linkage is adjusted as far forward as possible and it is still not enough. I went through and cleaned / re-greased everything, bought all new bushings, etc. Part of me is a bit upset over the fact that my buddies 68' F100 column shifts like new and the linkage itself looks like a black pile of grease while I elbow out countless hours just trying to not get stuck at a green light because I can't get it into first gear / the linkage gets stuck. A few times I have actually had to get out of the truck at a light, open the hood, and manually grab the linkages and force them back into neutral. Over the past few weeks I have learned what causes what to happen and how to safely shift the truck 90% of the time, but if anyone else tries to drive my truck without the detailed explanation of how to not get yourself in a bad linkage situation, they won't make it very far. Very annoying issue on what has been a fairly issue-less truck. I get the whole idea of just learning what makes what happen and deal with it, but being my work truck there will be a few others that will occasionally have to drive it and this isn't going to work out. I even contemplated a few used TH350's I saw for $200 on Craigslist, but I don't wanna get too far ahead of myself here. I noticed a few threads on others in my situation and the general route people seem to take is the Hurst kit. They have an installation kit that is about $160 and then you have to buy the shifter itself which looks to be about $235 putting it at roughly $400 to do the conversion. Pricey but being able to reliably shift through the gears that is a price well worth paying in my opinion.

Has anyone else here done this conversion? How did it go / how do you like it? What was the difference in shift quality / how has it help up?

Any thoughts / information is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
King951 is offline   Reply With Quote