The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-13-2017, 03:36 PM   #1
jon90

70's frame out of square by 3/8"?

I'm currently working on my first project truck. I have the truck stripped down to the frame. Question is the truck was out of square by 3/8" before I shortened the frame, and is still out by 3/8" now that I have it shortened. Is this worth bringing to a frame repair shop to have it brought back to perfectly square? seems like an old truck might have some tolerance but not sure how much is too much? Im from a small town not sure there are too many shops around with frame rack and dont know if it worth a trip to the city with the frame in middle of winter for 3/8", any info would be appreciated.
jon90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 06:12 PM   #2
B. W.

Re: 70's frame out of square by 3/8"?

I'm guessing you're talking about a diagonal measurement? If so, IMO, you'll never notice 3/8" out.
B. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 06:15 PM   #3
panhead59

I had mine checked before rebuilding. Cost Approx. $500 in Va. They said it was good. Point is- that's approx. the cost.
panhead59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 07:12 PM   #4
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Have you experienced accelerated tire wear? If the rear tires don't run parallel to the fronts, that can happen. IIRC, the spec is ± 1/8th inch. Hard braking on slick roads with the rear not tracking the front well enough can give you an easy start into a spinout.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 07:44 PM   #5
dozerbill72

That far out needs to be squared back up. As mentioned it will cause tire wear, poor handling and will not track straight down the road. If you have the body off they pull very easy. If it is only racked and doesn't have any bend in it you can use a come along and pull it back. I would pull it to square first than let it off and recheck. Some times you have to go a little past so that when it relaxes as you take pressure off it is where you want it. If it is bent you need to address that first than square. Good luck.
dozerbill72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 08:16 PM   #6
jon90

I havent got a chance to see tire wear as it had new rear tires on and was bought as a non running project. Lots of great information from everyone. I don't think its something I wanna leave to chance since I've gone this far in stripping it I shouldn't be lazy, going to find a level surface and go through the frame charts. Thanks everyone
jon90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 10:08 PM   #7
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

If you have the body off, it'll be far easier for a shop to pull it back to square.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 10:52 PM   #8
El Dorado Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by dozerbill72 View Post
That far out needs to be squared back up. As mentioned it will cause tire wear, poor handling and will not track straight down the road. If you have the body off they pull very easy. If it is only racked and doesn't have any bend in it you can use a come along and pull it back. I would pull it to square first than let it off and recheck. Some times you have to go a little past so that when it relaxes as you take pressure off it is where you want it. If it is bent you need to address that first than square. Good luck.
x2, easy to pull it back to square yourself with a come-a-long with the body off
El Dorado Jim is offline   Reply With Quote