The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-13-2010, 08:32 PM   #1
Sick5
C10 CLUB Y QUE!

Steering wheel slop

Wondering how do I get the slop out of the steering wheel temp
Posted via Mobile Device
Sick5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 10:19 PM   #2
OrrieG

Re: Steering wheel slop

on the gear box there is a nut with a threaded rod with screw slot in the center . loosen the nut so you can turn the threaded rod. As you turn the rod you will feel the steering tighten up. Turn it until it starts to get resistance then back off a little. Tighten the big nut. Drive another 50 thousand miles and repeat! I know this is a little vague but you can feel when it starts to bind. If its too tight the circulating balls in the assembly will wear.

This assumes the slop is in the box. also check for bad drag link and tie rod joints. I you can move the steering wheel with out moving the drag link its the box. If the drag link moves with the steering wheel but the tires do not then it is probably a bad joint.

Last edited by OrrieG; 10-13-2010 at 10:25 PM.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 12:04 AM   #3
mr48chev

What OrrieG suggested with the adjustment screw on the box is the first step. Sometimes that will take quite a bit of slack out of an old steering box.

I would suggest raising the truck up on ramps and have a helper move the wheel back and forth while you get under the truck and watch each part of the steering to see if there is any slack in that part. Start with the pitman arm and work your way out. If the helper turns the wheel and the pitman arm doesn't move until you hit the end of the slack in the wheel you need to tighten the adjustment screw. Once you have that squared away move on to the ends of the drag link. Watch connection between the pitman arm and the drag link and see if they move together or if there is some slack. Some with the screw and cotter key setup can be adjusted. Those have a socket that fits over the ball on the end of the pitman arm. Go step by step and check each place that the steering linkage connects to the next piece.
If you find a lot of slack in a connection it needs to be taken care of either by adjustment or replacement of the part.
Now jack each wheel off the ground and check the king pin by grabbing or having your helper grab the wheel while you watch for movement and with one hand on top of the tire and one on the bottom see how much you can wiggle the wheel. If it moves too much the kingpins need to be replace. also check for slack in the wheel bearings.

Every good front end man does just about the same things I described above when checking every vehicle he works on and it is part of making sure that you don't have any part of your steering that is worn out.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 09:27 AM   #4
Sick5
C10 CLUB Y QUE!

I'm going to help my bro with his 58
very helpful guys thanks again
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-14-2010, 02:12 PM   #5
355bullet

the adjustment on the steering box work on a 1986 also? my box is one year old and starting to have that play
355bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 10:58 AM   #6
Sick5
C10 CLUB Y QUE!

Anyone got a pics
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-15-2010, 11:41 AM   #7
OrrieG

Here are three to start out with. And as MR Chev says you need to check the king pins and wheel bearings. Sometimes it is one obvious thing, sometimes a bunch of little incremental bits of wear that add up.
Attached Images

Old 10-15-2010, 11:57 AM   #8
mr48chev

Thanks Orrie, I didn't think of posting photos. Sick5 (and any others who do it) when you tighten the adjustment screw on the steering box, just screw in to you feel it bottom out and stop. Don't reef down on it after you feel it hit bottom. You may want to drive the truck around the block and recheck it again after you do it the first time. I have run into a couple of them that guys tightened too tight and caused the steering to bind up in the process. When I was working in various shops I always seemed to be the guy in town that you took your rig to after you worked on it yourself and it was worse than when you started.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 03:03 PM   #9
355bullet

nice! great info!! gunna try that this weekend
355bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 06:57 PM   #10
raycow

If you are going to adjust the gear you absolutely must be sure it is exactly centered before touching that screw. There is a "high spot" at the middle of travel, and if you aren't on that before you begin you can damage the gear.

Ray
raycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 08:42 PM   #11
OrrieG

Good point Ray, center is not necessarily when your wheels point forward, count turns lock to lock and center the column that way.