The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-05-2020, 04:14 PM   #1
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Powder coating regrets?

I know over the years I have seen that a lot of you guys powder coat your entire chassis and misc. suspension and engine bay items. I'm wondering after a bunch of time has passed do you regret your decision to powder coat?

I took a set of inner fenders and a core support in to the sand blasters today for my C30 project. From there Ill take em in to get semi gloss black powder coating. In the process of finding a sand blaster closer to home, and talking to a bunch of automotive guys I sure got a lot of negative feedback regarding powder coating. The usual, if it chips it spreads, and how do you touch it up? I know just like paint, prep correctly first, and then know what you are doing when laying and baking the powder coat.

What's your experience after some time has elapsed with your powder coating?

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 04:17 PM   #2
54blackhornet

Re: Powder coating regrets?

I had my original wheels done love the results. Suspension entirely different story.
Old 08-05-2020, 04:23 PM   #3
LS short box

Prep is the key to making powder stick. It loves sand blasting. Choose a color that has a matching spray can touch up paint.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 04:43 PM   #4
Lee H

When I did the frame off in 2012 I had the frame, core support, trailing arms, control arms, bumper brackets, and almost all the other stuff that was or was supposed to be black powder coated. One of the very few things not power coated was the inner fenders, because I knew the would get chipped. All the powder coating is still as new, 8 years and about 30k miles later. I’m glad I did it. As a side note, I had a few of the pieces blasted when I did the body, the powder coater insisted he reblast them or he would not do them as could not warrant the coating on those parts.

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 04:56 PM   #5
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee H View Post
When I did the frame off in 2012 I had the frame, core support, trailing arms, control arms, bumper brackets, and almost all the other stuff that was or was supposed to be black powder coated. One of the very few things not power coated was the inner fenders, because I knew the would get chipped. All the powder coating is still as new, 8 years and about 30k miles later. I’m glad I did it. As a side note, I had a few of the pieces blasted when I did the body, the powder coater insisted he reblast them or he would not do them as could not warrant the coating on those parts.
That's very good advice on the inner fenders. I had totally forgotten about that. Its the way I did it on my old Unibody ... Thanks for reminding me!

Old 08-05-2020, 10:51 PM   #6
D.PASSMORE
One of the First

Florida - weather elements are tough, high moisture, high sodium in rain and UV blasted sunlight, nothing survives for long. Powder coating is good if you can keep your driver in the shade and out of the rain. So, instead of spending a lot of $$ on powder coating. I use this method and material.
Sandblast clean, Transtar epoxy primer (2 coats), within flash time, Nason Ful-Thane 2K Urethane Topcoat. Bullet proof protection. But, got to have right HVLP paint gun and associated accessories.

'71 SWB K/10 CUSTOM DELUXE (Chili)
'72 BLAZER K/5 Muscle Truck (Mule)
'72 LWB K/20 CHEYENNE (Blackie)
D.PASSMORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 01:40 PM   #7
bry593

I'm not a fan of powder coat for the reason you mentioned. As soon as it gets chipped, it starts coming off in sheets. Paint doesn't have that problem. So I guess it depends on if you use your truck as a truck or something to show on weekends. Weekend show truck, powder coat looks pretty nice. Hauling branches through a muddy field, paint is what you want.
Old 08-07-2020, 02:55 PM   #8
toolboxchev

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
I know over the years I have seen that a lot of you guys powder coat your entire chassis and misc. suspension and engine bay items. I'm wondering after a bunch of time has passed do you regret your decision to powder coat?

I took a set of inner fenders and a core support in to the sand blasters today for my C30 project. From there Ill take em in to get semi gloss black powder coating. In the process of finding a sand blaster closer to home, and talking to a bunch of automotive guys I sure got a lot of negative feedback regarding powder coating. The usual, if it chips it spreads, and how do you touch it up? I know just like paint, prep correctly first, and then know what you are doing when laying and baking the powder coat.

What's your experience after some time has elapsed with your powder coating?
I worked for a company that made tubular products for FreightLiner, Western Star, PeterBuilt, and Kenworth. Mother Flock we were pooping out 6000 parts a shift before the recession in 08. They shipped the bulk of production to Mexico. THANKS!

Most all the parts we produced were Powder Coated. I believe they phosphoric acid etched them before coating. I know for sure they both washed and rinsed them with something turning them a light tint of green.
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 03:19 PM   #9
chewychevy67

I had my chassis coated 8 years ago and they etched everything before coating. It hasn't made it on the road yet but I had a few extra parts I did for experiments. It was hard to chip them when they were new and then I left them out on my fence in the elements. I bring them in to try to get the coating off from time to time and its still hard on there and the spots that I chipped off aren't lossening on the edges. It's like paint, everything is in the prep and use good products.
chewychevy67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 03:46 PM   #10
Thealien

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewychevy67 View Post
I had my chassis coated 8 years ago and they etched everything before coating. It hasn't made it on the road yet but I had a few extra parts I did for experiments. It was hard to chip them when they were new and then I left them out on my fence in the elements. I bring them in to try to get the coating off from time to time and its still hard on there and the spots that I chipped off aren't lossening on the edges. It's like paint, everything is in the prep and use good products.
I agree properly prepared surfaces and it's hard to beat the durability of quality powder coating.
Thealien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 02:35 PM   #11
MiraclePieCo

I've changed my wheel color three times. Glad it wasn't powder coat!
Old 08-19-2020, 03:27 PM   #12
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

I'm sure it's mostly prep.

I've had two places do PC for me, near I can tell their only process is bake & blast. No issues and looks good, but it's early yet. Good to know powder coating inner fenders is less than desirable, though one of the PC guys I use might disagree. He says one great thing about PC is it flexes, seems that would work well for thin inner fenders, but I'm no expert. I've heard PC is less than ideal for springs, but in his mind it's an ideal finish because it allows for flex. He's well trained and his equipment top notch.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 03:30 PM   #13
CG
BlahBlahBlah

In the end I chose not to powder coat. Even though the price was decent I just have no idea where I am going to go for sure with my truck. Make it extra purdy, or just use it as a work horse?

I had a buddy fix the unexpected pin holes (I swear they weren't there before haha!) and he laid down a nice thick coat of primer. I rattle canned them from there. And I also rattle canned with sort of a bed liner-ish (not as thick) coating on the under part of the inner fenders.