The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-22-2014, 04:28 PM   #1
808turbo

Ls1 power steering pump?

Hi, did a search for power steering pump conversions and couldn't find a clear answer. Most are doing the 4.8/5.3/6.0 swaps from trucks, I have a ls1 form at 1999 Camaro, and was wondering if the power steering pump was the same as the truck pumps? Also when swapping the fitting on the donor pump do you just swap the big fitting or do you need to swap the piston and spring also?

Thanks
808turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 05:36 PM   #2
dayj1

Re: Ls1 power steering pump?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808turbo View Post
I have a ls1 form at 1999 Camaro, and was wondering if the power steering pump was the same as the truck pumps?
The pumps are different. I believe the car/LS1 pump is referred to as a "type II" pump. The truck pump is the same as the Saginaw pumps that have been in use since the 60s (with the exception of SAE vs metric fittings).

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808turbo View Post
Also when swapping the fitting on the donor pump do you just swap the big fitting or do you need to swap the piston and spring also?
Just swap the fitting.
dayj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 06:01 PM   #3
808turbo

Thanks,
I thought I read a thread about people saying that after swapping to ls pump that their steering felt lighter or more sensitive, anyone have this problem?
It seems that the newer cars and trucks all have rack and pinion steering. I thought changing the piston and spring might correct this issue.
808turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 07:53 PM   #4
Revorollerr

I've ran both the lsx truck and fbody pumps and haven't noticed any difference in steering, very responsive but then again I like sensitive rather than stiff.
Revorollerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 09:07 AM   #5
Matt Cramer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayj1 View Post
The pumps are different. I believe the car/LS1 pump is referred to as a "type II" pump. The truck pump is the same as the Saginaw pumps that have been in use since the 60s (with the exception of SAE vs metric fittings).
For that matter: Van pumps apparently used SAE fittings even with the LS motors.
Matt Cramer is offline   Reply With Quote