The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-08-2023, 06:50 PM   #1
scrappy's 69

Drop crossmember and carrier bearing

I have searched the site for an answer but have yet to find one. I am installing a drop crossmember as I am lowering my truck by 4/6 and I am not sure what to do about hanging the carrier bearing. Anyone have a solution? Thanks in advance.
Old 04-09-2023, 08:38 AM   #2
Ironangel

Re: Drop crossmember and carrier bearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrappy's 69 View Post
I have searched the site for an answer but have yet to find one. I am installing a drop crossmember as I am lowering my truck by 4/6 and I am not sure what to do about hanging the carrier bearing. Anyone have a solution? Thanks in advance.
You dont need to change the cross member or carrier bearing when lowering the truck! The drive line stays intact and inline with the motor mounts, the trans crossmember and mount, the carrier bearing all remain inline as per the factory. Only the rear axle raises to reduce the pinion angle to carrier bearing angle. You start raising the drive line your going to cause all kinds of unnecessary u-joint problems! Shock relocators and an adjustable panhard bar are all that's required to lower the rear beyond 4" inches...
71 C/50 Grain Truck, 350 Split-Axle 4-Speed
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
1952 Ford 8N, "Only Ford Allowed On The Property"
"Be American, Buy American"
Ironangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 01:22 PM   #3
HO455
Post Whore

What Ironangel said.

What model is your truck?
Is it going to be a static drop?

Some folks will drill out the rivets on the trailing arms mounts at the crossmember and flip them over. Do a site search for more information on that modification.

Some folks have no carrier bearing problems with a 6 inch drop and others have bearing failures. When you lower the rear it forces the driveshafts forward. This may push the carrier bearing rubber too far and it then the bearing fails. After you have completed the lowering put the truck on jack stands so the suspension is at ride height. Then unbolt the carrier bearing mount from the crossmember. Once it is free hold it in place and check to see if the bolt holes still line up. If not then grind the mount so they do. This will move the mount back and the rubber donut is in a neutral position. (i.e. the rubber is not preloaded forward ) These steps are unnecessary if your drive shaft has the sliding yoke in the rear shaft as most 3/4 tons do.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 06:58 PM   #4
scrappy's 69

Thanks Ironangel and HO455. Yes it is a static drop on a 69 C10. I have been going back and forth on this and your answers sealed the deal on not changing the crossmember. I will take this info and apply it when I get the rear half completed. Thanks again!!!!!
Old 04-09-2023, 07:37 PM   #5
HO455
Post Whore

You're welcome. Take some time and post some pictures of the truck and the process. We all love looking at trucks.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 07:43 PM   #6
scrappy's 69

Yes sir, I just posted an update on my psot "Scrappy's 69". This forumn is awesome and am delighted to be part of a group like this.
Old 04-09-2023, 09:18 PM   #7
Ironangel

Quote:
Thanks Ironangel and HO455. Yes it is a static drop on a 69 C10. I have been going back and forth on this and your answers sealed the deal on not changing the crossmember. I will take this info and apply it when I get the rear half completed. Thanks again!!!!!
Right on, use drop spindles up front. Cut 1/2 coil off your factory springs up front for a 1" inch drop, thats 3-1/2" including 2-1/2" drop spindles. The factory coils are stouter than drop coils, they give a stiffer ride. And yeah, lets see some pics? Heres two of my money pits, one to tow and one to go... "Belle & Nasty Sally"
Attached Images

71 C/50 Grain Truck, 350 Split-Axle 4-Speed
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
1952 Ford 8N, "Only Ford Allowed On The Property"
"Be American, Buy American"
Ironangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 12:16 PM   #8
scrappy's 69

That's awesome, love the duo you have there. Unfortunately, a PO had heated the springs to drop it and they are collapsed mostly, bounces like a bronco over the least bump.
Old 04-11-2023, 09:40 AM   #9
SCOTI

Quote:
Surprised nobody asked since it's within your post info.... What 'drop crossmember' are you referencing?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 12:06 PM   #10
scrappy's 69

The trailing arm crossmember where the carrier bearing attaches.
Old 04-11-2023, 01:55 PM   #11
SCOTI

Quote:
The trailing arm crossmember where the carrier bearing attaches.
Gotcha. Never heard of the aftermarket T/A x-member replacements referred to as a 'drop crossmember'.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote