The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-10-2017, 05:46 PM   #26
forestb

Re: window sweeps issues

I can't wait to try them. everything else I have tried have been garbage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd C. View Post
Gotta weigh in on this window sweeps discussion. I've been working on and off (mostly off) on a 66 C-10 "project" that my son purchased about five years ago. I've finally reached the final assembly stage and attempted to install the Brand-X sweeps that came with the truck. Experienced many of the same problems described by other members, ie: difficulty of installation, sweeps end up slightly too low, windows won't roll all the way up, etc, etc. Determined to solve this mystery, today I strolled in to All American Classics in Vancouver, WA looking for some help. I asked to look at their best quality sweeps to compare with the Brand-X sweep I had with me. BINGO! They showed me a set of "Repops" which had much sturdier clips that are also mounted lower on the sweep. This concurs with 64fleetside's theory, should result in the sweeps flushing out with the window sill and allow the window to roll all the way up. I plan to install the new sweeps tomorrow, so stay tuned. If any one is interested, these are manufactured in the USA by Montco Mfg of Mena, Arkansas and are marketed under the brand name "Repops". Part No. for 64-66 C-10 is CT160 I purchased mine at All American Classics of Vancouver, WA Ph #: (800) 955-4999
forestb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 06:40 PM   #27
shp4man

The window won't close completely because the bracket on the outside of the lower window frame (2 of them) hits on the new fuzzy. The solution is figure out where those two brackets hit and grind reliefs the new outside only Chinese fuzzy so the window will close. The clips are so cheap that you can't take it off and on too many times or it breaks, though.
Good luck. Love that Chinese stuff!
Old 03-10-2017, 07:04 PM   #28
forestb

Quote:
Originally Posted by shp4man View Post
The window won't close completely because the bracket on the outside of the lower window frame (2 of them) hits on the new fuzzy. The solution is figure out where those two brackets hit and grind reliefs the new outside only Chinese fuzzy so the window will close. The clips are so cheap that you can't take it off and on too many times or it breaks, though.
Good luck. Love that Chinese stuff!
I am confused about what you mean by "bracket on the outside of the lower window frame". Do you mean where the fuzzy clips onto or do you mean part of the channel that the glass sits in?
Old 03-10-2017, 08:20 PM   #29
shp4man

The metal "L" brackets at the bottom of the glass it what hits the cheapo felts.
Old 03-13-2017, 02:28 PM   #30
forestb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd C. View Post
Gotta weigh in on this window sweeps discussion. I've been working on and off (mostly off) on a 66 C-10 "project" that my son purchased about five years ago. I've finally reached the final assembly stage and attempted to install the Brand-X sweeps that came with the truck. Experienced many of the same problems described by other members, ie: difficulty of installation, sweeps end up slightly too low, windows won't roll all the way up, etc, etc. Determined to solve this mystery, today I strolled in to All American Classics in Vancouver, WA looking for some help. I asked to look at their best quality sweeps to compare with the Brand-X sweep I had with me. BINGO! They showed me a set of "Repops" which had much sturdier clips that are also mounted lower on the sweep. This concurs with 64fleetside's theory, should result in the sweeps flushing out with the window sill and allow the window to roll all the way up. I plan to install the new sweeps tomorrow, so stay tuned. If any one is interested, these are manufactured in the USA by Montco Mfg of Mena, Arkansas and are marketed under the brand name "Repops". Part No. for 64-66 C-10 is CT160 I purchased mine at All American Classics of Vancouver, WA Ph #: (800) 955-4999
I just ordered a pair for my 62 I Hope they work better than all the crummy ones I bought in the past.
Old 03-13-2017, 02:29 PM   #31
forestb

Quote:
Originally Posted by shp4man View Post

The metal "L" brackets at the bottom of the glass it what hits the cheapo felts.
Thanks for the reply. Mine is a 62 so the window track is different.
Old 03-17-2017, 12:20 PM   #32
forestb

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestb View Post
I just ordered a pair for my 62 I Hope they work better than all the crummy ones I bought in the past.
Same bad product. Vary disappointed. I am going to try and screw them in this time instead of using the clips.
Old 04-28-2017, 11:19 AM   #33
Metalaroundstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestb View Post
Same bad product. Vary disappointed. I am going to try and screw them in this time instead of using the clips.
So, it sounds like the Repops felts had the same fitment issues. How did you end up installing the felts?
Metalaroundstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 11:29 AM   #34
forestb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalaroundstone View Post
So, it sounds like the Repops felts had the same fitment issues. How did you end up installing the felts?
That project is on hold right now. I might end up removing the clips and screwing them in with little crews so that they sit higher in the window frame. They function for now but I am not happy with how they function.
Old 04-28-2017, 11:37 AM   #35
Aaronoregon

I leave them for last because I absolutely dread doing these on every truck I do. They are a complete PIA. The screw method has worked the best for me, but it is tough drilling the holes with it painted and getting the bit not to walk. I get little black screws from Ace Hardware and you can't even see them in the sweep. Buy a couple bits so they are nice and sharp for drilling and pull it out as far as you can in the chuck.
Aaronoregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 11:48 AM   #36
forestb

In order to keep it form walking can you drill the hole in the sweep first and then tape or clamp it into place in he window and use the holes in the sweep to keep it from walking.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:34 AM   #37
nsb29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaronoregon View Post
I leave them for last because I absolutely dread doing these on every truck I do. They are a complete PIA. The screw method has worked the best for me, but it is tough drilling the holes with it painted and getting the bit not to walk. I get little black screws from Ace Hardware and you can't even see them in the sweep. Buy a couple bits so they are nice and sharp for drilling and pull it out as far as you can in the chuck.
why not pre-drill it so when you have it painted all you have to do is screw them on
nsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 09:44 AM   #38
Aaronoregon

That's fine if you remember to do it before you paint, but have you ever tried to find all those tiny holes through 1/8" thick fuzzy stuff?
Aaronoregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 11:05 AM   #39
forestb

What size if hole do you drill and what size of screw?
Old 05-01-2017, 08:15 PM   #40
1966shortwide

I think I posted this before but this is what I did to correct the window from going to the top. I put new sweeps in my 66 and had same problem . I took the window out of the lower glass setting channel and tapered the top edge front to back and do both side's of the channel.I used a flap wheel on a electric grinder as the flap wheel will leave a smooth edge on the taper .Make it about 45 degree's. Then you can rattle can paint it to keep fron rusting. Then reinstall the glass in channel. This let's the channel squeeze in between and up all the way ,rather than having a sharp edge to wedge against sweep's and bind . I have no problem rolling window to the top whatsoever ever.I think I got my sweep's from LMC which probably make's no difference where I got them,since some of you have tried different brand's.
1966shortwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 10:11 PM   #41
forestb

Thanks that makes a lot of sense I will give that a try. Either I did not see your post befor or I did not quite understand what you were saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966shortwide View Post
I think I posted this before but this is what I did to correct the window from going to the top. I put new sweeps in my 66 and had same problem . I took the window out of the lower glass setting channel and tapered the top edge front to back and do both side's of the channel.I used a flap wheel on a electric grinder as the flap wheel will leave a smooth edge on the taper .Make it about 45 degree's. Then you can rattle can paint it to keep fron rusting. Then reinstall the glass in channel. This let's the channel squeeze in between and up all the way ,rather than having a sharp edge to wedge against sweep's and bind . I have no problem rolling window to the top whatsoever ever.I think I got my sweep's from LMC which probably make's no difference where I got them,since some of you have tried different brand's.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:15 PM   #42
'63GENIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966shortwide View Post
Ill have to try this as well as mounting the next set up higher. I though I got off easy since the power regulators push the lower window channel past the fuzzies. Unfortunately, i didn't grind the edges down and the sharp edge that you mention have torn the drivers side fuzzy meaning.. you guessed it. Have to do them again. At least I might be able to get them right this time.

'63 k15 long step
Vortec 7.4 - L29 Blackbear tune, Five 0 Motorsports injectors, Chris Straub Cam, NV4500, divorced 205
52" front and 63" rear spring swap
D44 / 14bff - disc axles
Milemarker 9K and 10.5K hydraulic winches

63" & B52 Spring Install http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ng+swap+thread

NV4500 Reverse Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=reverse+build

L29 - 7.4 Vortec Build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&highlight=L29
'63GENIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 03:15 PM   #43
The Rocknrod

Anyone try Metro's sweeps yet?:
http://metrommp.com/?f=detail&ModelN...l=C10%20PICKUP
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 08:25 AM   #44
nsb29

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rocknrod View Post
They are right proud of those puppies
nsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 09:15 AM   #45
The Rocknrod

Steele Rubber Products is even more: http://www.steelerubber.com/wflt-f26...4-6-80-0059-57
But I don't know if one is any better than the other.
Old 05-04-2017, 10:16 AM   #46
The Rocknrod

The Repop company part #CT160 on this page: http://www.repops.com/product-search...2&mo=102&yr=19
Old 05-04-2017, 11:19 AM   #47
forestb

I have tried the Repops and the Steele Rubber and they are both the same and have the same bad design.
Old 05-04-2017, 12:29 PM   #48
1966shortwide

Repop's are repop's period.Most likely all the same. Mounting those with screws and higher is not necessary. Maybe with screw's would be a good idea if you planned to remove easier if needed in the future and would not break clip's otherwise. I used the clip's that are on the sweep's and only beveled the channel's and have no issue with raising window to the top. Maybe the original sweep's were made different, don't know ,but do know when I replaced sweep's that is when I encountered the window issue.
Old 05-04-2017, 12:42 PM   #49
The Rocknrod

I'd like to see an original outside sweep, I bet it was a type of wiper.
Old 05-04-2017, 01:05 PM   #50
1966shortwide

No, I have a original extra door I bought years ago and they have the same design what I can see from the top.