The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-06-2017, 02:46 PM   #1
MASTERBrian

Electric Choke Positive Wire

I've been trying to figure out the best way, if that exists, to wire up my Eddy electric choke positive wire.

I've read ignition on wires, tap into about anything on that circuit. Fuse block would obviously be the best, not sure a space exists though....I'll double check later. The other are wipers, heater, etc... Problem is those are likely very small gauge wire so I worry they won't support both items.

I've also read oil pressure switch, well I have a one wire switch. It looks nothing like the 3 wire ones I see people using.

Then there is tapping into the field? wire on the alt. I believe that is the one that goes to the idiot lamp. I am in process of running that wire, so once in the cab, it would be easy enough to create this relay. I have noted to run 18 gauge wire for that circuit, but I'm using 16, so is that enough to create this circuit if I so choose? Is 16 enough? Most things say 10amp fuse on the choke, so I'd think 18 is plenty, but most of my wire is 16 or heavier.

I have found on my panel, and I'll get a picture and upload in a while to see if anyone can confirm or not, a spot on factory fuse panel that is marked AC. My guess is that would be an option.

Problem I have is I'm not real familiar with the electrical on this as to what works and doesn't at this point. The truck was DOA when I got it, but it appeared most of the lighting, horn, etc worked. Wipers, not so much and so unsure of the rest and I'm in process of bolting it back together as we speak so hopefully soon I can start testing circuits again.
Attached Images

MASTERBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:44 PM   #2
franken

Re: Electric Choke Positive Wire

The gen light is on when the engine is off if I understand things so as soon as the engine starts, the choke would open. I think/thought the electric choke had a bimetalic coil inside that actuates a switch based on temperature, so a switched (on w/ key in run/start) power source would be the right solution and since current is low, no relay is needed.

If you have other wiring problems, I'd leave the choke alone since its more of a luxury item.
franken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 10:21 PM   #3
HO455
Post Whore

What kind of distributor are you running? If your running a HEI you can tap into the 12volts to that. My Burban is done that way and seems to have no issues.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377

Last edited by HO455; 04-06-2017 at 10:27 PM.
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 10:48 PM   #4
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

I'm pretty sure if you wire the choke into the brown charging light wire you will be looking at a light the whole time your engine is on and the key is on. Not to mention that the alternator fields will not be excited because the brown wire will have a path to ground through the relay coil that you plan on using instead of going through the regulator.

Adding an electric choke is very easy without trying to reinvent the wheel. Tapping off the yellow wiper motor wire or the Ign Unfused terminal on the fuse panel is another. You don't need a huge gauge wire because the choke coil doesn't draw many amps.

Here is some more reading.

https://www.google.com/search?domain...D%3A1%3B&hl=en

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 04:05 PM   #5
MASTERBrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
What kind of distributor are you running? If your running a HEI you can tap into the 12volts to that. My Burban is done that way and seems to have no issues.
HEI....I've been told that can be a bit hard on HEI, but several have said they do it.
Old 04-07-2017, 04:09 PM   #6
MASTERBrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by franken View Post
The gen light is on when the engine is off if I understand things so as soon as the engine starts, the choke would open. I think/thought the electric choke had a bimetalic coil inside that actuates a switch based on temperature, so a switched (on w/ key in run/start) power source would be the right solution and since current is low, no relay is needed.

If you have other wiring problems, I'd leave the choke alone since its more of a luxury item.
Understood, but I'm trying to tape up the harness on the engine side, so I need to figure out if I should run that wire into the cab or leave it loose. Can't tape up the wires if it's loose. I think I'll going to wrap it up with the alt wires. I guess even if I decide to run off of that or something else it just needs to get to the cab and right now I have 2 open spots on the firewall connection on driver side where the headlights/horn enter.

I won't know until I can start the truck if the AC port on the panel is running position, but that seems like a good spot to tie into. I'll try to get that pic uploaded.
Old 04-07-2017, 04:12 PM   #7
MASTERBrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteVet View Post
I'm pretty sure if you wire the choke into the brown charging light wire you will be looking at a light the whole time your engine is on and the key is on. Not to mention that the alternator fields will not be excited because the brown wire will have a path to ground through the relay coil that you plan on using instead of going through the regulator.

Adding an electric choke is very easy without trying to reinvent the wheel. Tapping off the yellow wiper motor wire or the Ign Unfused terminal on the fuse panel is another. You don't need a huge gauge wire because the choke coil doesn't draw many amps.

Here is some more reading.

https://www.google.com/search?domain...D%3A1%3B&hl=en
100% agree, my issue is knowing what circuits are actually working! I'll know more soon, but trying to keep things moving along until then. Searching the web brings up long drawn out discussions where it's not kept simple. Like I said above, I'll just wire it to the firewall connection and then I can get into cab and play with things like that AC port on panel or look into wiper circuit.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:38 PM   #8
franken

Tape? Toss that in the trash unless its to make you stop bleeding.
franken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 10:43 PM   #9
MASTERBrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by franken View Post
Tape? Toss that in the trash unless its to make you stop bleeding.
Not electric, the automotive clothe type.
Old 04-09-2017, 02:10 PM   #10
63C20

all you do is connect to a IGN feed that turns on and off, not a ACC feed.
63C20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 09:30 PM   #11
MASTERBrian

Not acc, A/C....as in this tap?
Attached Images