The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-22-2022, 02:37 PM   #1
J_T

Question What to do first? Body or frame?

Hello all, I have a running 72 Jimmy with Rockers that need replacing and the front bedside corners. Body supports and mounts and rocker boxes as of now appear solid. I've been putting off doing anything to it as it runs and my family enjoys it so I have just been planning on what needs done. It does burn oil and leaks oil as much as it burns but I think I'm ready to tear into it and sacrifice it being down and taking up room in my shop.

I've never taken a cab/body off the frame... so I want to know.

#1...should I replace body mounts bushings and confirm gaps and then start rust body panel repair on truck as is ?

or

#2...should I lift the body, solidify the Frame cleanup, paint, motor refresh, brake lines, fuel lines and suspension and save the body work for last?

or if you have a #3?

I don't have a rotisserie so if working on body off of the frame is needed I'd have to build a wooden cart and lay on my back for the underside prep. I have a 2 post lift and an engine lift so I was going to use that to get the body off.

As I've only handled mechanic stuff in the past which is just repair/modding and parts swapping this is my first that requires some body work and I didn't know what is the best order for operations ? (I'm leaning toward #2 as its more bang for the buck and probably quickest to get it back to running and enjoying but honestly I'm ready to freshen up the look as its a crappy pealing red paint job over a stock Bronze color that is shining through so its not even a classy patina.

Last edited by J_T; 02-23-2022 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Clarify title
J_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 10:32 AM   #2
J_T

What to do first? Body or frame?

Sorry y'all as this is a noob question but just wondering what the school of thought is if it's better to focus on the frame/drive portion first or the body repairs?

This will be a learning experience but don't want to learn it all by mistakes. 😁
Old 02-24-2022, 11:41 AM   #3
Thealien

Re: Finally Going to start working on a running 72 Jimmy

Such a hard question to answer without knowing skill level, end goal, time frame.

Many have regretted making their vehicle undrivable while doing repairs only to have them undrivable for years?

Time frame and budget. To me it sounds like you should worry about getting it safe and drivable while learning. From there see how much you are willing to do?

Look through some of the build threads, look at the start dates. There are low dollar to no expense spared builds, some spanning over 10 years.
Thealien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 11:44 AM   #4
raggedjim

This is just my opinion, but I have made lots of mistakes on these trucks!

I would get it running and driving well enough that it is reliable. Once you start tearing it down who knows when or if ever it gets put back together. Drive it, enjoy it, work on small projects as you go along.

I would replace the body mounts first. Then set your body lines. I've done it before I started repairs and also after I started repairs. Without replacing them first you are referencing body lines that will not be the same after the mounts are installed. You can still adjust with shims but it makes it tougher in the long run.

I have one I just drive and keep running, it's not perfect but I enjoy it. I have one torn completely down that I work on. Some days I enjoy it, other days I hate that damn thing.

Good luck, Rg

'68 Short step - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=849675
'69 ('70?) 2wd Blazer
'70 GMC Jimmy 2wd

Last edited by raggedjim; 02-25-2022 at 12:43 AM.
raggedjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 11:47 AM   #5
raggedjim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thealien View Post
There are low dollar to no expense spared builds, some spanning over 10 years.
10 years!???! Whoa, slow down, what's the rush?

'68 Short step - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=849675
'69 ('70?) 2wd Blazer
'70 GMC Jimmy 2wd
raggedjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 09:25 PM   #6
7D2N

Your post is very similar to what I did and started with. I went with new body mounts to get things lined up before..... disassembly. I have self-learned a lot from here. Good luck and remember HF is your friend.

Last edited by 7D2N; 02-24-2022 at 09:38 PM.
7D2N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 11:29 PM   #7
Willowrun

I echo what others have said about replacing body mounts first. Good opportunity to look around under there at the rest of the rig to see what else needs attention.

I've done several, I'd call them preservations not restorations, and the body work (when needed) always takes the longest. It's not even that difficult, it's just mentally draining and takes a lot of tools and clean up when your doing it. This makes it something difficult to do 1/2 hour here and an hour there. I need at least 3 hours of shop time before I'm even going to decide to make a bodywork mess of the shop.

Tackle small bodywork sections at a time always doing the opposite side repair right afterwards. Never cut both rusty sections on opposite sides of a vehicle out at the same time (rockers for example) as it's nice to have something to refer too when putting it back together. It also helps keep the vehicle more rigid but if in doubt brace the area so it doesn't warp or twist. Only cut out what you need to cut out. Just because they sell full replacement rockers it doesn't mean you should cut out the whole rocker. I try to keep as much factory sheet metal as possible. Always check gaps before welding.

if you want to keep it running just tackle small rust repair all the way to 2 stage epoxy never making the vehicle out of commission for more than a week or two. It's easy to cut out rust but is time consuming to replace it so small wins are key.

Is your goal to have a shiny truck or just a driver? If the first, time to take the body off the frame and do all of the cleaning/painting to the frame and might as well rebuild the motor/driveline. I've never done any of that but I may some day when I retire. I'd probably try to scrape off the peeling paint with a razor blade (taking my time) and see how the original paint looks. If it looks decent get some paint matching your bronze and blend in new paint on your repaired sections after metalworking/skimcoat/sanding/epoxy primer.

Powerwash/degrease the frame and drivelines, reseal the leaks, not sure if your Jimmy is 2wd or 4wd but regardless I'd lower/lift accordingly, check axle bearings, new brakes, pull diff covers to check things out and change oil, new trans fluid and filter (if auto), change t-case oil, new ujoints, ball joints if needed, etc.

Freshen the interior enough that the wife will ride in it, add tires/rims of choice, decide on soft top, hard top, no top, and start driving it. Fix 2-3 things that spring up that need attention and get to the other 10 things that bother you when you get to them.
Willowrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 05:35 AM   #8
jaros44sr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowrun View Post
I echo what others have said about replacing body mounts first. Good opportunity to look around under there at the rest of the rig to see what else needs attention.

I've done several, I'd call them preservations not restorations, and the body work (when needed) always takes the longest. It's not even that difficult, it's just mentally draining and takes a lot of tools and clean up when your doing it. This makes it something difficult to do 1/2 hour here and an hour there. I need at least 3 hours of shop time before I'm even going to decide to make a bodywork mess of the shop.

Tackle small bodywork sections at a time always doing the opposite side repair right afterwards. Never cut both rusty sections on opposite sides of a vehicle out at the same time (rockers for example) as it's nice to have something to refer too when putting it back together. It also helps keep the vehicle more rigid but if in doubt brace the area so it doesn't warp or twist. Only cut out what you need to cut out. Just because they sell full replacement rockers it doesn't mean you should cut out the whole rocker. I try to keep as much factory sheet metal as possible. Always check gaps before welding.

if you want to keep it running just tackle small rust repair all the way to 2 stage epoxy never making the vehicle out of commission for more than a week or two. It's easy to cut out rust but is time consuming to replace it so small wins are key.

Is your goal to have a shiny truck or just a driver? If the first, time to take the body off the frame and do all of the cleaning/painting to the frame and might as well rebuild the motor/driveline. I've never done any of that but I may some day when I retire. I'd probably try to scrape off the peeling paint with a razor blade (taking my time) and see how the original paint looks. If it looks decent get some paint matching your bronze and blend in new paint on your repaired sections after metalworking/skimcoat/sanding/epoxy primer.

Powerwash/degrease the frame and drivelines, reseal the leaks, not sure if your Jimmy is 2wd or 4wd but regardless I'd lower/lift accordingly, check axle bearings, new brakes, pull diff covers to check things out and change oil, new trans fluid and filter (if auto), change t-case oil, new ujoints, ball joints if needed, etc.

Freshen the interior enough that the wife will ride in it, add tires/rims of choice, decide on soft top, hard top, no top, and start driving it. Fix 2-3 things that spring up that need attention and get to the other 10 things that bother you when you get to them.

Sage advice, x2

I never took my body off frame, some what challenging to access all the frame members, but I did decrease and paint it with the body on
Also did floors and rockers, one side at a time, as mentioned above
If you have a hardtop, keep it bolted on, considerable stiffness to the body
Your approach my differ, but I enjoy working on it more then driving it lol

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 04:39 PM   #9
J_T

This has been very insightful and incites action! I'm blessed to have a running truck... but I like the idea of working on things I can while still drivable as I assume anything I repair while running is shorter down time when its taken apart.

I have followed this forum for many years and as you can see my low post count but I learn so much from the wealth of knowledge reading here.

I Never saw myself as a build thread guy because I don't think I'd keep it moving very fast and readers would want to see things moving but I think I will now just so I can let others chime in and weigh in as I go! So Please be watching for my refresh/rejuvenation of my Jimmy, Bob (which my kids named) AKA 'Jim Bob' Build. I'll start documenting with Pics for my use and something to hit the ground running!

Thanks Ya'll!