The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-01-2009, 08:11 PM   #26
Dan Bowles
AD Addict

Re: Title needed for my 54

Easiest way to go about it. Glad you got it worked out.

I've seen "new" tags stamped with the Engine VIN that is on the paperwork in cases like in Hot Rod 80's case. That way the truck is stamped to match the paperwork. I've heard of some states allowing an inspection and I've heard of other guys just not bothering and registering them anyway. I guess it depends on the state and if you have an inspection in your area or not.

In Michigan, I don't have an inspection but I can also apply for a Certificate of Ownership document that states I own it, I bought it for X, and they run it through the NCIC system and then I pay my taxes and title fees on it and have the title in a week or so. If there is a problem with the NCIC, then I'VE got problems but I know that in 45 minutes to an hour!

Last edited by Dan Bowles; 11-01-2009 at 08:16 PM.
Dan Bowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:23 PM   #27
tiltonb

Neither of my trucks came with a title. I called the State Patrol and they inspected it. Now I have to take the paperwork and apply for a Colorado Title.
tiltonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:11 PM   #28
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltonb View Post
Neither of my trucks came with a title. I called the State Patrol and they inspected it. Now I have to take the paperwork and apply for a Colorado Title.
You've picked a 4 year old thread to make your first post on, but good luck and let us know how it works out.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:59 PM   #29
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicDreamer View Post
ny doesnt issue a title just a transferrable reggie. but in order to register a ny car you need a transferrable reg or a title for the vehicle.
my truck has a vin plate on the inside of the door as well. As for the rest of the info. The body is on a 85 s10 chassis and getting a 2000 up 4.3 motor. Should be interesting. But ny for what I know needs a title on the body.
It sounds like you bought into the full can of worms on that one.

An internet search will tell you that guys are having a lot of problems with titles that come from these "title makers" for a lack of a better name. The dmv's in some states automatically red flag them now as they know that the titles are usually pretty shaky at best.

If the truck came with a plate no matter how expired it was I'd figure out a way to track the plate. Check all the cubby holes and hiding spots and even under and behind the seat for an old registration slip. I was cleaning out the glove box of an S-10 blazer a guy gave me because it didn't have a title and I only wanted the rear end and right there in the middle of a bunch of papers and trash in the glove box was the title.

Who's to say that you didn't build the truck out of a bunch of pieces you picked up over the past couple of years? Bill of sale for the cab, one for the bed and one for an S-10 with no engine or trans. along with the actual receipts you have for any major part you bought for it. Then it is time to go get it inspected as an assembled truck. I'd still go the bonded title if it were me though. Three years goes by pretty fast and the only hassle you might have is if someone actually shows up with a real registration/title that matches the number plate on the door post as the stock engine is long gone.

I have in the past bought some pretty rough hulks of AD trucks because they did have clear titles and matching number plates. it took five truck loads to get one of them home a few pieces at a time as it was taken apart about as far as you could take one apart. Some guy had taken it apart years before when he was going to restore it and found out that it was so rotted out he wasn't able to repair it.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 11:05 PM   #30
tttuba

here is mine from my 47 gmc. A bit different from the pictures here and I think mine are original.
Attached Images

tttuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 11:30 PM   #31
Root2812

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63 & 64 Bowties View Post
You've picked a 4 year old thread to make your first post on, but good luck and let us know how it works out.
Yay search function! There is a lot of great info in old threads. Its refreshing to see a new guy search and dig up an old thread instead of posting a question that's been covered numerous times.
Old 05-07-2015, 08:21 AM   #32
hlozano54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Bowles View Post
It depends on the state. Some states titled the vehicle by the Motor ID stamped on the engine, others titled it by the VIN which is on the driver's side A pillar just above the bottom door hinge on the AD Chevy/ND GMC trucks. Some states also titled them as the year SOLD rather than the year MANUFACTURED. I've seen 53s registered as 54s because they weren't sold until after the new year.

You'll need to go through your state to determine what you need, there are different rules for different states. Before you get too excited and drop a ton of coin on that truck, get your title sorted out. A local guy in Michigan bought a '56 Buick and did a ton of work. He never did anything with the title and it turned out the previous owner had left it at an interior shop for years and the shop sold it to a guy who sold it to him. NONE did any title work or any title leins and you guessed it, the "rightful" owner according to the state of Michigan called it stolen and they guy lost the car back to him.

You may be better off buying another parts truck with a title! If you don't have a VIN tag on the cab, you'll have even more fun. I just sold a rotted cab to a guy because he ran his title through the laundry and didn't have a VIN plate on the truck. I just saw he had a '54 Chevy truck for sale with a good title...and I know where my rotted cab ended up sans VIN plate.
Posted via Mobile Device
hlozano54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 08:23 AM   #33
hlozano54

dan do you know if the guy with the 1954 Chevy still has the title if so can you call me 9367184085 or email homerohlozano@gmail.com
Posted via Mobile Device
hlozano54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 10:59 AM   #34
tiddlar

I had the same issue kinda, I had a title to my 5 window but turns out it was to the engine. the cab has the vin plate. I basically had a title and the vin matched notching, the motor didnt come with the cab. went to dmv had it inspected. paid 300 dollar bond for it and got a temp title. in 3 years they will send me a legit title.
tiddlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 05:02 PM   #35
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlozano54 View Post
dan do you know if the guy with the 1954 Chevy still has the title if so can you call me 9367184085 or email homerohlozano@gmail.com
Posted via Mobile Device
YOU do realize you are asking about something that was posted in 2009 or six long years ago?

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote